Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514962 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1770 on: December 19, 2014, 11:36:55 am »
As an SMT & Persona fan...IMO, you wouldn't be missing out on all *that* much if you started with the 3rd & 4th games 8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #1771 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:06 am »
As an SMT & Persona fan...IMO, you wouldn't be missing out on all *that* much if you started with the 3rd & 4th games 8)
I've been under that impression myself. The completionist in me hates that idea though lol.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1772 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:10 pm »
I've been under that impression myself. The completionist in me hates that idea though lol.

If you *must* play Revelations (the 1st game), do yourself a favor & play the PSP version *NOT* the PS1 version!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #1773 on: December 19, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »

If you *must* play Revelations (the 1st game), do yourself a favor & play the PSP version *NOT* the PS1 version!
Sounds good to me! It sounds like they really streamlined it for the PSP. I also enjoy playing RPGs on the PSP during lunch at work, so that works perfect for me since I finished Star Ocean last week.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1774 on: December 19, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »
GTA 5 had a new update... can now buy a 3rd house.... so ive been busy feeling up my new garage :D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #1775 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:27 am »
I'm definitely going to check out out Eternal Ring. I put so many hours into the King's Field games back in the day. Can't say I was any good at them, though.

Right now, I'm finally finishing up my first playthrough of the Resident Evil Gamecube remake after getting sick of watching it collect dust on my shelf for the past decade. I love horror games, but I've never managed to actually beat a vintage-style Resident Evil. Sad, I know. I just can't wrap my head around the camera / control system. I hate tank controls, but I can manage with them so long as there aren't any fixed camera angles to go with them. Vintage Resident Evil is my worst enemy at times. But I've got to say that I'm really enjoying this one. Much more fun to play than RE2 or Code Veronica, IMO. Maybe I'll take another crack at the original PS1 version at some point.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1776 on: December 21, 2014, 03:52:40 am »
I'm definitely going to check out out Eternal Ring. I put so many hours into the King's Field games back in the day. Can't say I was any good at them, though.

Right now, I'm finally finishing up my first playthrough of the Resident Evil Gamecube remake after getting sick of watching it collect dust on my shelf for the past decade. I love horror games, but I've never managed to actually beat a vintage-style Resident Evil. Sad, I know. I just can't wrap my head around the camera / control system. I hate tank controls, but I can manage with them so long as there aren't any fixed camera angles to go with them. Vintage Resident Evil is my worst enemy at times. But I've got to say that I'm really enjoying this one. Much more fun to play than RE2 or Code Veronica, IMO. Maybe I'll take another crack at the original PS1 version at some point.

It's one of the best remakes ever made, with some damn-impressive graphics, and improved voice-acting.

But the gameplay is still the same as the old games. And the story is has the same style. It's kind of strange you're enjoying this, but not the other classic RE games.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1777 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:14 am »
Just finished Rim Elm Village and obtained Vahn's Ra-Seru in Legend Of Legaia for the PlayStation.  Basically grinding to find some more fire-elemental monsters and maybe learn Spells.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #1778 on: December 21, 2014, 06:43:46 am »
It's one of the best remakes ever made, with some damn-impressive graphics, and improved voice-acting.

But the gameplay is still the same as the old games. And the story is has the same style. It's kind of strange you're enjoying this, but not the other classic RE games.

Should've clarified: As much as I dislike the classic Resident Evil camera and controls, I can eventually get used to them. What I truly can't stand are the contrived puzzles and forced backtracking, and I think Code Veronica was the worst offender in both regards. RE2 wasn't much better with its puzzles, but it seemed to me like it didn't have nearly as much backtracking. By no means do I think they're bad games, but they have some pretty major flaws (in my eyes, at least) that get in the way of my fun. I'm not saying the remake was perfect, but the ridiculous traps and emblems sort of made sense in the setting, and most of the backtracking was self-inflicted and spread out over a relatively small area. I also think the remake had the strongest atmosphere out of all the games in the series. The Lisa Trevor subplot is one of the rare things in a Resident Evil game to ever genuinely disturb me, second only to good ol' Chief Irons and his torture basement.

Don't really have any problems with the stories. Resident Evil has always been pure cheese, and sometimes I feel like indulging in its ridiculousness. Watching a JRPG reject sing opera to his army of zombie leeches will never not be hilarious to me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:45:32 am by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #1779 on: December 21, 2014, 10:32:24 pm »
Finally getting to Metal Gear Rising after all this time with the steam sale and greatly enjoying it.  I'm not the most die hard Platinum fan, I am having trouble getting into Wonderful 101, but I did love Bayonetta 2 and I'm gonna go back and actually play through Bayonetta 1 eventually, but these games they are making are always so ridiculous and fun. 

I feel like my only gripe with the game is that some of the codec talks drag on along with the usual philosophical rantings of the villains and others.  I know it's the common thing of Metal Gear games, but with how fast paced this game is, every time I'm brought down to a crawl cause I have to slow walk through the codecs, it just makes me want to hurry up.  I know you can skip that stuff, but I still need to get the story stuff in there, but nah, lets just discuss stuff we already know and really shouldn't be talking about lol

Not a huge grip though as the game is abit on the shorter side I believe, unlike the usual Metal Gear Solid games that are usually quite long.

spac316

« Reply #1780 on: December 22, 2014, 01:24:49 pm »
I've been into Destiny on XBox One as well as Halo: MCC and Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS.

soera

« Reply #1781 on: December 23, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »
Playing Shadow of Mordor ... man this game can be frustrating!!! But its pretty cool.

« Reply #1782 on: December 27, 2014, 01:03:59 am »
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel...It's more Borderlands lol Nothing bad, but yeah it's what you expect from it.  The added mobility in the game is nice though due to the oxygen tanks which allow for kinda speeds boosts, the slams, and extra jump height.

Captain Toad - The last game to grab on the Wii U and while I'm only through the first Episode of the game, it's some nice casual fun.

foxhack

« Reply #1783 on: December 27, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »
I hooked up my Gamecube to try to play Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes two nights ago.

No matter what I do I can't get out of the very first screen. Something about that game feels horribly wrong and I'm not sure what it is. I beat MGS1 and 2 without problems, got about halfway through in 3 before my PS2 died, but no matter what, I can't do anything without being detected.

Ugh...

Warmsignal

« Reply #1784 on: December 28, 2014, 08:29:51 pm »
Fairy Fencer F. Eh, it's okay, but it's another budget jrpg. I'd say wait until it's like $20 if you are still thinking about picking it up.