Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514979 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1950 on: April 11, 2015, 03:15:09 am »
I was excited when this title was announced for the 3DS, but the visuals really made me shy away from getting it.  I might still get it eventually, but I already own it on the Wii, and from seeing little bits of it online, it looks beautiful on Wii.  The 3DS visuals I saw were just so disappointing comparatively, and I don't have any need to take the game on the go.

Did you pick up a Shulk amiibo?  I'm curious what Shulk will do for the game.

You get nothing from using Shulk really.  You can unlock models and music and you get 3 coins everyday by using Shulk, but you can get coins through streetpass and play coins, so it's mostly unnecessary.  Kind of a shame it didn't at least give something unique like Link at least.

And I would say if you have the original Wii version, probably no reason to get the 3DS version unless you just want it portable.  It's gonna be far uglier and it doesn't seem to have anything new that I know of.  I'd probably almost rather have the Wii version for use on TV, but I hate the wiimote and nunchuck as controls, so yeah lol  It's a bare bones, but playable port.

All I know that this game can be rather tough.  Regularly get through fights by the skin of my teeth.  Tough since it's kinda like a turn based RPG, but you don't have any potions and very little healing lol Like right now I think I pretty much have to just go level up abit so I can even do the next story mission.  Kinda don't like that, but I'm still into the game.

kashell

« Reply #1951 on: April 11, 2015, 11:54:54 am »
I started Julian's quest in Romancing SaGa 3. It feels like I'm in high school again because it reminds me so much of SaGa Frontier. I doubt I'll play every character's scenario, but damn am I having fun so far.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1952 on: April 11, 2015, 01:29:35 pm »
I started Romancing SaGa 3!. It feels like I'm in high school again because it reminds me so much of SaGa Frontier. I doubt I'll play every character's scenario, but damn am I having fun so far.

That's "Minstrel Song", or something on the PS2, right?

To date, that's been my one, only, and first foray into the SaGa series.  I was

*SO*

going to play through it with each & every one of the characters!

My 1st playthrough was with some girl, that had *something* going on with either: her grandfather, her village, and/or her grandfather's village; or, some such variation/combination of such things, etc.

I completed that playthrough, and, I had had (barely) started a 2nd cycle, and/until...

...The Greatness -

that goes by

the

'name'

(the word "name") here, is an inadequate joke & attempt at -

trying to put into words & describe in (any) tongue...that's spoken by & undertood by us mere mortals of humanity

An experience too vast, exquisite, epic, noble, and ethereal -

...to be done any justice -

bound by and within the limitations of any of our words & languages

That Is: The greatness that goes under the moniker of:

Shadow Hearts: Covenant...

...arrived at my location

and came to my attention.

Needless to say, the Romantics in the SaGa were soon forgotten...

kashy-kash;

If we've talked about it before - I've forgotten what you said, but - I have the 2 (I think that's all there were(?)) SaGa games for the PS1.

I'm assuming that they're both turn-based + can be played & beaten...

...single-handedly; as it were  8)

yes?

Also, are either/both of them:

any good?

worth playing?

anything that you think that I'd like?

Thanks, brudda  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #1953 on: April 11, 2015, 03:25:50 pm »
There is indeed a Minstrel Song on the PS2. It's a remake of the original Super Famicom Romancing SaGa and a fantastic game once you get over the ugly characters designs.

Both SaGa Frontiers (1 and 2) are super one-handed friendly. You can play them in either order since they're not related except in name only.

SaGa Frontier: plays like the Romancing SaGa titles. You pick one of seven characters and go on a quest that is very open ended. The difference, however, is that each character has their own unique final boss. It sort of gives each character a sense of identity. Still, the highly open ended nature is not for everyone. It may confuse some folks on where to go next to actually move the plot along. Usually, I don't care for this game play style but something about this title did it right. After careful thought, it ends up being my favorite game of all time. Ever. Case closed. Period. QED. Over and out.

SaGa Frontier 2: different from the other SaGas, but still different from most RPGs. There are two scenarios: Gustave's and Wil Knights. Gus' story is more story focused whereas Wil's is more battle/game play focused. Characters from both cross paths. You can play the scenarios in any order and jump between as you like. While the game is very linear, there are still plenty of options for exploration.

So, do I think you'd like them? Well, do you like:

Open-ended progression
Addicting battles
Unique visuals
Amazing music
No hand-holding
Difficult bosses

If you said yes to any of the above, I say give one (or both) a shot. If you have questions after staring one (or both) holler at yo' bro and I'll help out anyway I can!

foxhack

« Reply #1954 on: April 11, 2015, 08:59:25 pm »
Sleeping Dogs.

I'm at a spot in the story where I HAVE to race downhill against some guy.

I HATE driving in the game. The crappy drifting "system" doesn't help. AT ALL.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1955 on: April 14, 2015, 02:13:41 am »
Playing through Vandal Hearts.  Definitely the most straightforward tactical RPG I ever played.  No random encounters and side quests are very few.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

kashell

« Reply #1956 on: April 15, 2015, 08:24:24 am »
Alongside my Romancing SaGa 3 quest, I'm playing Shinobido 2 on the Vita. When I first played the game a couple of years ago, I wasn't thrilled. Now, I'm really enjoying it. And I damn well should; I love the Tenchu games!

argyle

« Reply #1957 on: April 15, 2015, 09:43:15 am »
I've been hopelessly hooked on Bloodborne since it came out. One of the best games I've played in a while. I never got into the Souls games for whatever reason, but this one really sunk its teeth into me. Tough as nails, but extremely fun & rewarding. And gotta love that Victorian Gothic atmosphere! :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1958 on: April 15, 2015, 10:44:43 am »
I've been hopelessly hooked on Bloodborne since it came out. One of the best games I've played in a while. I never got into the Souls games for whatever reason, but this one really sunk its teeth into me. Tough as nails, but extremely fun & rewarding. And gotta love that Victorian Gothic atmosphere! :D

I've been slowing going through Bloodborne but most of the time when I'm playing it I just feel like wanting to play the first Dark Souls game again instead :(.  Haven't really gotten the hang of the gun/stun mechanics and still waiting to find a weapon that really grabs me.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

argyle

« Reply #1959 on: April 15, 2015, 10:47:21 am »

I've been slowing going through Bloodborne but most of the time when I'm playing it I just feel like wanting to play the first Dark Souls game again instead :(.  Haven't really gotten the hang of the gun/stun mechanics and still waiting to find a weapon that really grabs me.

Where are you in the game? What's the last boss you've beaten? I can recommend a great weapon if you've gotten far enough to get it. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #1960 on: April 15, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »
So I'm playing Sleeping Dogs, doing stuff to get the 100% achievements. I buy a new car, then I race against an undocumented Russian club hostess on a parkour race (yes, really.) Once that's done, I go back to my car and start looking for more collectibles, since beating her at the race unlocks their location on the minimap. I'm going through a one way street, trying to get past some guy that's blocking my way... when this happens.

My car shoots upward. To spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Then I fall down. The city looks weird from this high up top.

My car bounces around against a bunch of buildings...

Then finally falls in an alley. And a bunch of bystanders look in awe.

I have no idea why this happened, but the game has displayed some weird physics before...

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1961 on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »
Looks like that car just became The One.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1962 on: April 15, 2015, 03:59:18 pm »
Where are you in the game? What's the last boss you've beaten? I can recommend a great weapon if you've gotten far enough to get it. :)
Blood Starved Beast (that's the one that poisons I believe?).  Saving up to buy Ludwigs as it seemed pretty claymore-y, which were some of my favorite weapons in previous Souls games.

doafan

« Reply #1963 on: April 15, 2015, 05:57:13 pm »
This past weekend I played with my wife Mario RPG where I do have to admit that never expect that she liked this title also spent some hours with my little girl at the Donkey Kong Country and yesterday started playing alone the Contra 3 cause neither my wife or my daughter wanted to play with me, this is the main reason why I want a kiddo now  8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:59:05 pm by doafan »

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

bobster

« Reply #1964 on: April 16, 2015, 03:55:40 pm »
Trucking through Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I just unlocked the crafting system and it's infuriating and addicting all at the same time. I spent way too much time making worthless food. I've started crafting some good gear though. Two things of Mythril armor, and two kick ass weapons for Nel and Cliff! Really cool that you can make weapons worth 30k pretty much right out of the gate. I guess since I patented them all, the shops that sell the equipment give me money every half an hour on a battlefield. Might have to leave my PS2 on one of the open fields  ;D.
Currently Playing: The Witcher