Author Topic: Do you collect games that you don't own the system for? Explain.  (Read 3923 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Do you collect games that you don't own the system for? Explain.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 12:19:57 am »
I can foresee myself maybe buying some PS4 games eventually, but the actual PS4 will come much later, if it comes at all. My approach to 8th gen is going to be a lot more conservative, I think.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 02:33:00 am »
Basically, the same as Warmsignal's response.  I'm buying the games that I want to play, which will be the primary reason why I'm going to buy the console later on.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

maximo310

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:43 am »
I usually pick games up since I have an interest in the system, meaning that I'll have to pick up the system at some point. The most recent examples are for psp and ps vita, I've been waiting for my brother to help me get a psp, but so far no luck. I'll pick up games that interest me, so if I can get it for a cheap price, I'll buy it now than wait until demand goes up for it.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »
Every now and then.  I won four ZX Spectrum games, but no ZX Spectrum, and two games for the Texas Instruments TI-99.

I like the hardware, though, and will eventually be trying to get what I don't have.

gf78

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »
It all depends on the circumstance.  Typically, I don't go out of my way to buy games for a system I don't own.  With that being said...

If I find a great deal on a game and it's in good, complete condition I will pick it up.  I found a copy of Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate for the Sega Saturn in Goodwill one day and bought it for example.

If the game is from a series that I am really vested in, I will buy it.  Especially if that particular game was only available on one system.  Some examples would be Soul Calibur for Dreamcast...because I have every other "Soul" game.  I've recently bought around 10 Famicom/Super Famicom Final Fantasy games because I am collecting Final Fantasy titles. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 02:02:22 pm »
Every now and then.  I won four ZX Spectrum games, but no ZX Spectrum, and two games for the Texas Instruments TI-99.

I like the hardware, though, and will eventually be trying to get what I don't have.

TI-99!  When I was a young man, my dad bought this system!  I thought it was awesome.  Built-in keyboard, you could program in basic, just lots of cool stuff.  We had a handful of games and various different controllers.  Stand-outs for me were Munch-Man, TI Invaders and Parsec.  Parsec especially blew my mind when my pops bought the voice synthesizing module!

I don't really recall the stock controllers for the system, but we had a little thing that fit in your hand that was more like a trackball than a joystick with a nub on the top for your thumb and two triggers.  The other was a large flight-style joystick. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

scott

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »
I don't usually collect games for systems I don't own. But I do have...

2 MVS carts - Metal Slug X and Fatal Fury 2
1 Turbo CD disc - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
1 Wii U game - Super Luigi U

But I have been known to buy games for systems I don't own yet.

For example, I bought Tekken Tag Tournament before I had a PS2
I almost bought Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PS1 (but didn't because I was a broke kid when it was released)
I bought Super Luigi U because I wasn't sure how rare it was going to be.
and I just put in preorders for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:04:40 pm »
I have a small stack of 2600 and Game Gear games. I plan on getting a Game Gear just haven't found one for the right price and I found the games for a buck each. The 2600 games I got with the intention of getting a 2600, but since then I kind of decided the NES & Master System were going to be my cut-off point.

pacpix

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 11:38:27 pm »
I have a few games that I have received from friends or in lots over the years that I have no console to play them with, but I probably only have around 5-10 games with no console to play them on.  I do have quite a few Wizardry games that I do not have consoles for that I purchased simply for collecting reasons, but most of those are just variants of games I have on systems I own.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

gf78

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 09:00:51 am »
I have a small stack of 2600 and Game Gear games. I plan on getting a Game Gear just haven't found one for the right price and I found the games for a buck each. The 2600 games I got with the intention of getting a 2600, but since then I kind of decided the NES & Master System were going to be my cut-off point.

I've never owned one, but for some reason I really want a Magnavox Odyssey.  The original model.  I guess because it was the first home console released, way back in '72 and launched this hobby we all love.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 11:27:10 am »
Only if i know i will plan on buying the system later.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 09:26:02 am »
I do it mainly because I'm a moron. I have Caleco, 32x, and Sega CD games. I don't have any of those systems.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 03:06:02 pm »
I have about half a dozen Emerson Arcadia-2001 games CIB because I saw them at a goodwill.

The system goes for over $100 even though no one seems to collect for the thing. I've got $50 into the games and will likely never sell them for that. So I guess I am stuck with them now.

I have Double Switch for the Sega CD but do not own a scd.

For now I play it on my soft modded Xbox original.

I have about 5 ColecoVision games and still grab more when I can even though my system barely works anymore.

I'm hoping the ColecoVision v1.2 is successful. Or someone makes a cart compatible clone system.

madmax

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 07:39:28 am »
I do.

I have the Famicom and Super Famicom  versions of Final Fantasy.
I also have Gameboy Advance, PSP, VITA and PS3 Final Fantasy Games. My PS3 died ages ago and I refused to purchase another one out of principle. I had already bought the console for like $500, I wasn't going to double dip. Once the PS3 is $100, I'll get one so I can play some of my old games.

The reason I have a lot of games for consoles I don't own is that I collect FF games, I try to also have the majority of my collection sealed (when possible and affordable) so whether or not I can play the game is irrelevant. I've played most FF games already, playing a different version of the same game on a different console doesn't really matter to me all that much.