Author Topic: How did you find VGCollect?  (Read 9285 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

How did you find VGCollect?
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:05:54 pm »
Hey guys, not long ago. I was a newbie!

That said we've recently had a LOT of new folks participating in the forums.

First, welcome! Glad to have ya!

Second, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we could talk about how we found vgcollect!

To kick us off. I was looking for an iPhone app to catalog my meager (at the time) collection of primarily NES and Genesis games. I went through a lot of apps. They were all way overpriced and required full manual entry. After some googling I found this site.

I didn't realize until a month or so later there was actually a forum. I found out pretty quickly after that that the people in it are awesome!

What's your story? How'd you find out about VGCollect? Are you here to catalog your collection, hang out in the forums or both?

abe

Re: How did you find VGCollect?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:19:41 pm »
I discovered this place back in 2011 from Reddit (back when I still used Reddit) on the game collecting subreddit. I thought it was nifty so I tried it out. I also tried out some other collecting sites at the time, like Darkadia, but I stuck with VGCollect because I liked it the best.

I didn't really start posting here regularly until some time last summer, so I wasn't initially here for the forums, but I do like them now. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:31 pm »
I was checking out the cover project decided to look at the forums and saw in some of the people there had the VGcollect sig banner in some of the signatures checked out this site and signed up in under a minute... it helped I was in need of a site like this.

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:27 am »
Back in 2011 one of the admins here (maybe tpugmire?) had mentioned the site on the AtariAge forums which is how I found the site.  Loved the site and started posting in the forums.  This is the first, and only forum that I have ever been active on.  Back when I started we did not have those fancy "quote" buttons; we had to type @username when replying to people on the forums!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:22:56 am »
A friend told me about it. He is on here
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:05:59 am »
I was doing some searches for video game collection databases and came across this site. This was the first one I found that let users have multiple variations of cover art, package design etc.

Good to hear all the stories in the forums about this common interest (obsession!!!!!).

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 01:09:50 am »
I started looking for a new place to call home back in late 2010, 2011... Rfgeneration.com crashed, and I lost weeks worth of collection work... that's when I found VGcollect, and I never looked back.

- Retro

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:15:52 am »
I was a long time Gamespot community member and after that site restructured and abandoned their collection feature (which wasn't that great btw) and their Legacy gaming forum, I was without an online gaming community for a while until I stumbled upon VGcollect while trying to find a place to catalog my collection. Definitely love this site way more than GS, that's for sure :)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:27:31 am »
A mix of bikingjahuty and betelgeuse's story...  I loved the IGN listing they had before the redesign so I searched on Google for "video game lists" and found this awesome site.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:23:28 am »
I found it while googling for video game collecting websites :)

jsoup

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:25:10 am »
I believe Kitsune Sniper/foxhack posted a link to here in a DP topic.
Like, I made the account back when the site first went public and then didn't really post anything until recently.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:41 am »
I think at the time I was looking for a game collecting app and found VGC on it.  Seeing that I had to use the website to add stuff, that's how I began my time here.

rancesama

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:14 am »
Heard about it on YouTube. Was watching Metal Jesus and he did a video about great ways to keep up with your collection. One of the sites he talked about was VGCollect. I had been looking for a fun and easy way to keep up with my collection for some time. Up until I joined the site, I had my collection simply listed on a Word Document on my Windows Phone.

So far I really like using the site. Love being able to see a breakdown of my collection, make a wish list and I like that most of the games have extra information and pictures. Also, I like that it has a forum. Everyone here has been really cool since I joined and its nice to chat with fellow collectors. It kind of makes collecting feel like a group activity.

Oh and it also makes it easy to show my collection to others. When I am out gaming hunting, I often run into other collectors or people who are just interested in what I have. Its cool to access the site on my phone and show off what I got. I do wish VGCollect had an app for Windows Phones ... but I guess accessing it on my browser isn't so bad.

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

theflea

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 05:20:36 am »
A friend of mine who uses this site recommended it to me.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

devancowan

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 07:11:07 am »
A friend on mine who uses this site daily (Abe) recommended it  :)