Author Topic: The top 5 games that defined your childhood  (Read 14765 times)

stealthrush

The top 5 games that defined your childhood
« on: August 13, 2015, 02:18:03 am »
What are the top 5 games that defined your childhood? You can include honorable mentions if you wish.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: The top 5 games that defined your childhood
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:40:07 am »
What are the top 5 games that defined your childhood? You can include honorable mentions if you wish.

Super Mario Bros
Blaster Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D

dondetti

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:51:39 am »
These games definately shaped my gaming interests and all of these got ridiculous playtime over the years:

Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV/Castlevania - Symphony Of The Night (it's a tie)
Doom I & II
Final Fantasy VII
Zelda - A Link To The Past

honorable mentions (because 5 are not enough):
Terranigma
Secret Of Evermore
Lufia II
Secret Of Mana
Harvest Moon
Super Mario series (if I had to pick one it probably would be SMW)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:14:20 am by dondetti »
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

telly

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:05 am »
5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (GBC version - Harry Potter in general defined my childhood)

4. Need for Speed Series (Underground 1 & 2, Carbon and Most Wanted, but mostly Carbon)

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA version)

2. Mega Man Battle Network (5 - Team Colonel and 6 - Cybeast Falzar)

1. Pokemon (specifically the 3rd generation: LeafGreen and Emerald versions) - This was THE game of my childhood. Nothing even comes close for me  ::)

Honorable mentions go to LEGO racers and Toy Story 2 on the PC; some of the very first games I played. It sure is interesting seeing what other people played a lot of when they were kids!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:50:42 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

gf78

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:17:28 am »
In no particular order

Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
King's Quest IV
Castlevania II Simon's Quest
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
Pokemon Red Version: Pokemon came out in the US when I was in 6th grade, and I was the third person in my middle school to buy it and start playing it. This was well before Pokemon became huge and I remember being motivated to wake up about 45-min earlier each morning so I could watch the anime on Fox, before it switched over to Kids WB. But anyhow, I was obsessed with Pokemon! It took me roughly a year and the purchase of a Gameshark, but I caught all 151. When Pokemon did become insanely popular I totally got sept up in the hype, seeing the first two movies in the theatre, I collected the cards feverishly, watched the anime religiously every Saturday, and bought just about everything I could afford that was Pokemon related! My love for the series seemed to die down shortly after Gold and Silver came out, and wouldn't come back until years later when Gen 4 came out on the DS.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3: My first game console was a Sega Genesis so naturally I was part of team Sega during the 16-bit era. The original Sonic the Hedgehog was my motivation to get a Genesis, however I remember hearing about Sonic 3 years later and crapping my pants! My aunt ended up getting it for me and I remember obsessively playing this game. As a kid I was only ever able to get to Icecap Zone, but that didn't stop me from replaying it over and over again. Years later the soundtrack is still my favorite of all time and it is still my favorite Sonic came hands down.

Super Mario 64: On Christmas Eve 1996 my Aunt (same one who bought me Sonic 3) surprised the hell out of me and bought me an N64 along with Super Mario 64, a game I had seen in gaming magazines and wanting so badly! I remember being absolutely floored by the 3D graphics and environment the first time I played since until then I had never seen graphics like this anywhere. It was because of this game and my subsequent obsession with it that I became a Nintendo fanatic during the 5th gen, practically ignoring the PS1 and Saturn and focusing almost exclusively in the N64 during its lifespan. Super Mario 64 was one of the first games I beat and it's a still a game I love going back to and playing all the way through.

Final Fantasy VII: I was a late bloomer to RPGs, not really having an interest in them until 2000 when a neighbor sold me on how great they are. The game that he particularly turned my on to was Final Fantasy VII. I yearned so much to play this game I actually ended up buying a PS1 along with a copy of FFVII the day the PS2 launched, which was interesting since the store employee thought I was mistaken and really wanted to get a PS2 (which i did, bit they were sold out anyways on launch day). I fell instantly in love with FFVII and to this day it is one of the only games I've put more than 200-hours into. It also made me a huge JRPG fan, especially at the time. From 2000 to 2002 I played and bought a ton of other PS1 JRPGs, and it was my favorite genre at the time. However, FFVII was always my favorite and is still the best RPG I've ever played.

Perfect Dark: Prior to playing this game I was a huge fan of Goldeneye 007, but for whatever reason this game left a far greater impression on me. I remember renting this game about 5 times before I was able to get a copy of my own, and for some reason I have incredibly fond memories of doing this. the game itself is one of the best FPS games I've ever played to this day, and I love the setting and vibe of this game so much.

Honorable mentions: The Flintstones (Genesis), Dark Colony (PC), Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country 2, Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Gran Turismo 3, Crusin World.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:48:08 am by bikingjahuty »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:52 am »
*Not in order*
Golden eye 64
Super Mario All Stars (SNES)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Tony Hawk (first one) N64
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:48 am »
Playing those games now instantly brings strong nostalgia of my childhood. I was a SEGA person as you can guess:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog series - Master System / Mega Drive
2. Ecco series - Master System / Mega Drive
3. Alex Kidd in Miracle World - Master System
4. Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis) - Mega Drive
5. Dynamite Headdy - Mega Drive

Honorable mentions go to Secret of Mana, Super Metroid & Zelda III on Super Nintendo that strongly influenced me at this time and bring a lot of memories now, but I borrowed the console to play those so my playtime wasn't comparable with the SEGA titles above.

I remember also having a huge playtime on Landstalker, Soleil (aka Crusader of Centy), Strike series, Streets of Rage series and Shinobi series. I think I played Sonic games more than all the other combined though ! :P
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:49:58 am »
1. Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong 64
2. Super Smash Bros./Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Mario Kart 64/Mario Kart Double Dash
4. Sonic 3D Blast
5. Luigi's Mansion

I kind of cheated by combining certain games from the same series.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 12:36:21 pm »
Super Mario Bros. 3
Pretty much my first video game.

Pokemon Red
The one game I got in trouble for playing because I couldn't put it down. Even in school!

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
The first game my father and I played all the way through together.

Mario Kart 64
No need for a introduction.

StarCraft
It played great even on dial-up. Great story.

abe

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 01:12:35 pm »
Mega Man Battle Network 3: White (GBA)
-This game and Pokemon Red were responsible for sparking my interest in RPGs, which is now my favorite genre. It was also one of my first Mega Man games.

Pokemon Red (GB)
-I bought it used a while after it released and everyone else interested in it had already played it, but it was still my first Pokemon game and my first RPG.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (PC)
-One of the first games I'd routinely wake up early in the morning to play, long before anybody else in the house was awake.

Sid Meier's Civilization III (PC)
-So many hours put into this game. It's so easy to say "just one more turn" every time.

Super Smash Bros Melee (GCN)
-Great to play alone or with friends, it remains my favorite Smash Bros game.

Honorable mention: Lego Island (PC), for being one of the first games I can ever remember playing.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

telly

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 01:49:57 pm »
-This game and Pokemon Red were responsible for sparking my interest in RPGs, which is now my favorite genre. It was also one of my first Mega Man games.

Pokemon Red (GB)
-I bought it used a while after it released and everyone else interested in it had already played it, but it was still my first Pokemon game and my first RPG.

We both had Battle Network and Pokemon on our childhood list! Represent :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

abe

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:52 pm »

Pokemon Red (GB)

We both had Battle Network and Pokemon on our childhood list! Represent :)

FireRed and LeafGreen were great remakes. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

gf78

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »
Ok...I gotta throw the original Wolfenstein 3D into the mix.  I played that ish so much that I would go to bed and see blue mazes with my eyes closed!   :o  I can still hear the screams of dying Germans and barking dogs to this day.  Not to mention, it kinda is the granddaddy of all 1st person shooters since. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »
Doom (PC/Mac)
Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)
Goldeneye (N64)
Area 51 (Arcade)
Test Drive (PC)

Honorable Mentions:
Syndicate (Mac)
Lemmings (Mac)
Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed Special Edition (PC)
Sim City 3000 (PC)
Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)