Author Topic: TPX VGCOLLECT R&D LIST  (Read 20455 times)

tripredacus

Re: TPX VGCOLLECT R&D LIST
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 12:39:13 pm »
Next section to work on is the Sega Genesis [NA] games. I already went through and merged the few dupes, and fixed up some names. I am not going to focus on entry images or information this time around. I am primarily going to do work on this section to handle items in my own collection that are not on the site, as well as to properly manage my wishlist.

tripredacus

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 12:06:47 pm »
Sega Master System (carts) for Brazil should be 99% done.

For this section, Tectoy made a lot of changes through the line, so some games have multiple variations. The main packaging differences are:
- cardboard box
- plastic case
- cart sized cardboard box/sleeve (IDK where these come from, they might be the pack-in versions)

For the cardboard box, there are two types:
- 1 tab (usually came with red cart with hologram Tectoy label), It has the Sega logo on the back of the box.
- 3 tab (usually came with red cart with no hologram label), It does not have the Sega logo on the back of the box.

Plastic case versions:
- original is the same front/back artwork (including logos and copyright texts) as the cardboard 3 tab box
- next version will have a screenshot removed, but usually the "Produzido" logo or the other text is replaced with a barcode
- Then there are the other design types which are the grid (US Gold), or blue, or whatever.
- Sega Special types are re-releases of cardboard box games in a plastic case and usually will have a blue cart instead of the older red cart of the original release. It should not ever have a red cart with a hologram label. The Sega Special logo is a label with Sonic on it.

Regarding the carts, there are the 3 main carts, with a varition on one.
- red cart with hologram tectoy label. Since it is a label, it can be removed! A severly faded label will appear white.
- red cart with no label. Some red labels have a blank space around the grid, some do not. In some cases, the name on the cart does not match the name on the box.
- blue label. The newer version that comes in the plastic case boxes. IIRC no blue label came in a cardboard box. Some plastic case games do come with a red label cart.

Letters: Brazil uses letters on the cases to indicate price. These letters are either printed on the packaging but some versions have a label. There do exist instances where an item can have a letter and then not, or the letter has been changed. It is common that the original releases (cardboard 1 tab) do not have a letter, they seem to show up starting with the 3 tab design. Even some later carts do not have the letter, but I do not think this means a variation is there.

Labels: Sometime in the "azul" period (Azul means blue, Brazil collectors will call the blue cases or carts Azul instead) Tectoy had started to put the InMetro logo on items. So in those types, there may be some that have an InMetro logo added later. Sometimes it is a label, sometimes it is actually printed on the insert.

So I would say nearly all the SMS Brazil games are now in the db, but certain some other versions are out there. For example there are some of the small cardboard box games not in there, and some things I saw on Mercadolivre that might be variations but I don't really know, so they were left out for now.

tripredacus

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:24 am »
Taking a break from usual updating work, which has been SMS releases... After going through my collection to figure out the top 100 games for this thread: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8602.0.html

I had come to find that some games were not in my collection here. I'm talking about noticable games, ones I have had for many years and played a lot. Standouts like Quake II or Diablo III were not in my collection for whatever reason. All of the games that were missing were PC games also... So I went and exported my collection to CSV, then opened that up in Excel. Arranged it by platform 1st, name second. Deleted all the extra columns and printed it out. It fit onto 10 pages.

Then I took that list home and compared it to my PC games collect, basically using a checklist. If I had the item on the list, cross it out. If the item wasn't on the list, set it aside. My PC games are separated into a couple different sections.
1. Shelf for big box games
2. Shelf for small box games
3. Racks for jewel case games
4. books for loose CD games

So my next project will be to add those missing PC games into the db, or fix up the existing entries. So far I have a few unknown, I have already did the work for the jewel case games. Next I will be be tackling the loose CD games, then small box and then the big box games will come later.

Updates:
- loose cd games done
- jewel case games done
- small box: in progress
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:17:39 pm by tripredacus »

tripredacus

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:28 pm »
By member request, went through and tried to clean up game entries that used "fan terms" such as "different" or "version" where those terms do not exist on the packaging or on the item itself.

Next term to search on will be everyone's favorite word: bundle.

telly

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 04:07:15 pm »
By member request, went through and tried to clean up game entries that used "fan terms" such as "different" or "version" where those terms do not exist on the packaging or on the item itself.

Next term to search on will be everyone's favorite word: bundle.

I know the Wii U amiibo "bundles" need to have a look at. I can go through a few of those as well.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 01:21:34 pm »
The most annoying part of the use of the term Bundle is that it is not warranted most of the time. There are a few sticky situations where it is difficult to determine how something should be titled. Very few items actually have the word Bundle on the packaging (or digital title) but it DOES happen.

It seems mostly either this term is taken from online store listings, or a lazy way to call something. Especially for Japanese items where this is not really a term that they use. It is more common for them to use a word like "Set" instead. Sometimes the translator does translate to bundle, but very rarely.

PS: I am ignoring some items such as Limited Run games and most things that do not fit into Game, Accessory or Hardware category.

So the frustration is that the word "bundle" is being used on things that do have names. At least with the English (or Euro) items I can easily read them and just fix the titles. Not so with Japanese items. Often, even the text for Japanese items are not online to find, even in Japanese, and need to be constructed manually. So this post is part complaints and part to explain how I determine what a Japanese item is supposed to say.

The first is to try using the Translate app on my phone. It has a hard time reading some characters due to the camera having issues taking pictures of the computer screen. And having this on the phone is not super helpful to know the characters because I cannot type them into the computer.

Instead I can use the Google Translate website itself, which has a text input where you can actually write the characters as you see and it will guess what it is. This does not always return a good result, but it does then allow me to search in Japanese using some of the correct characters in order to determine which other ones I can use.

As an example, Google Translate has a real difficulty in reading my drawings of characters such as:
接続
Which translates to link. Perhaps I am just not drawing them well enough for them to read. For the simpler stuff, it works well enough, here is a picture:

In most cases, the "Did you mean" part is rarely helpful. Since I said I could not get it to recognize my scribbles as 接続, I had to find those characters using Google search, and I was able to search for the other parts which I had gotten to be recognized. Then I can copy those characters back into the Translate page as you see in my screenshot, in order to get the actual translation. Also it does not hurt to also search for the complete text to verify still if you wanted. Sometimes even this does not show up on Google, likely because even people on Japanese gaming websites do not record what is written on their boxes either!

tripredacus

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 01:20:15 pm »
Sega Saturn game sections updated.
Not handled: demos

Here are the current totals.

Saturn Australia: 8 games
Is going to be missing a lot. Saturn did not really have any exclusives or unique packaging to Australia that I am aware of. Usually the games for that country are just EU English PAL releases with labels for rating put on the front and other labels put on the back.

Saturn Brazil: 86 games
Not yet complete, some games are not present due to them being on lists but no pictures. Some entries have bad pictures. Some entries were added without pictures because they were worse than the bad pic entries that were added. These still tend to get information put onto the entry.

Saturn Europe: 300 games
Likely complete, however no work has been done for variations such as cardboard vs rigid case releases. Also not really done are UK (-50) imports to other countries. Germany and France (at least) did not have localized versions of some games, instead the ones they sold were the English version but with USK rating (for Germany) or the red block notice (for France) labels put onto the case, usually the back. Also games that were imported to Portugal with the yellow Sega label are mostly missing.

Saturn Korea: 19 games
Likely missing a lot

Saturn Japan: 1261 games
Should be fairly complete, but dupes may still exist. All Satakore games are named based on the packaging and have "SegaSaturn Collection" in the title and Satakore in alt-name. Some games had regular and Genteiban (Limited Edition) releases where the regular releases seem to be quite rare for some reason. Usually these will have a different item number vs the Genteiban, but pictures of these are hard to come by. As a result, some regular editions were not added to the database. There are some Taiwan and Hong Kong specific releases in this category because there is no category to put those games.

Saturn USA: 368 games
Should be complete. Didn't have to do much editing on these, they were mostly there already. Just fix barcodes and put in back images.

tripredacus

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2018, 12:34:57 pm »
Taking a break from putting in Japanese PS3 games... and to fix up the PS3 Hardware section. If anyone has a console in their collection but the entry for it is generic, please fill in the model number from the box and the barcode to help me determine what the generic console entries are.

I will not be doing a total research on that section like I did with the PS2 Hardware section, just to straighten out the generic entries so that it is easier to search for what console releases are in the db already and what isn't.

But a warning, because I have started to fix up that section, if you had one of the generic console entries in your collection, you may find that the corrected or merged entry is not what you have, so make sure to keep an eye on your PS3 consoles in case that happens.

tripredacus

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 11:56:55 am »
PS3 hardware section fixed up the best that can be at the moment. Remaining issues:

Waiting for dashv to inform what this entry is supposed to be:
https://vgcollect.com/item/18335

Need model numbers for these:

God of War Ascension Special Edition red EU
https://vgcollect.com/item/95560

Motorstorm Apocalypse
https://vgcollect.com/item/50108

NHL 11 / inFamous
https://vgcollect.com/item/68315

LBP Karting / Playstation All-stars Battle Royale
https://vgcollect.com/item/67824

Last of Us Azurite Blue
https://vgcollect.com/item/54596

Last of Us / Sports Pack
https://vgcollect.com/item/69293

Uncharted 2 UK
https://vgcollect.com/item/86738

And then this likely dupe, as the CECHE01 only seems to have appeared in the Motorstorm pack as far as I can tell, but it will remain a separate entry for the meantime.
https://vgcollect.com/item/43438
https://vgcollect.com/item/32179

tripredacus

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 11:34:10 am »
PlayStation 3 games from Japan is updated. Section now has 1537 games in it. So many different Limited Editions and also the equivalent to "Greatest Hits" which is Publisher the Best, or just PlayStation 3 the Best.
https://vgcollect.com/browse/ps3jp/

tripredacus

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 12:41:32 pm »
Licensed Sega Master System games updated for all regions. This includes the many variations in EU countries... Also EU games that were in NA category were moved or merged with EU entries if there was no information on the entry.

Next I will check all SMS categories for dupes, standard practice.
Then will work on unlicensed titles.

Known to be missing and will be checked in the future:
- EU games imported to US that have barcode label
- EU/AU games imported to CA that have barcode label
- Sega label variations in EU
- Sega Classics label re-releases in AU
- Not Permitted for Rental (NFRs) in AU

Known to exist but not added due to no information:
- some AU games. Only added AU games with cart pictures
- many/most TW games
- some KR games

Also, will need to get the categories fixed for some of the releases, such as Korea should be called the Samsung Gam*Boy, Taiwan should be the Aaronix Mark III and Japan should be Sega Mark III / Master System.

Personally will need to recheck all of my own SMS games to make sure I have the correct ones now that the database is updated. There were many entries in the wrong place, dupes, mismatched pictures/info, etc.

tripredacus

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 12:17:48 pm »
Sega Mega Drive [JP] category updated.

Next will be Mega Drive releases in South Africa. Those are entries with [ZA] TLD, and they currently exist in the [EU] category. They are all just EU PAL games but with a label on the case, similar to Greece and Benelux Union releases.

tripredacus

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2019, 12:18:51 pm »
Super GamBoy release of Hellfire
https://vgcollect.com/item/169977
incomplete translation
?의 물
슈퍼겜보이용

Didn't want to put it on the entry. Can't find the correct characters for this, and existance of this game seems impossible to find. No item number like usual.
Only picture I can find of the cart:
https://www.guardiana.net/media/photos//7756_2.jpg

In the text sample above, the red is unknown (?) and at the end 꽃 is just a guess at this point.

tripredacus

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 12:21:18 pm »
Will work on fixing up the NAOMI category, since all of the carts are not region specific, just the hardware is. Working plan:

- Move all Sega Naomi carts from NA/EU to JP
- create Sega Naomi GD-ROMs sub-cat
- move all GD-ROMs to new sub-cat
- rename Sega Naomi JP to Sega Naomi Cartridges
- create Sega Naomi Hardware sub-cat
- move all Naomi Hardware to Arcade Conversions
- del NAOMI NA/EU sub-cats (should be empty)

We may consider a further re-organization of the arcade sections, it would help greatly concerning the confusion of how to use those sections and/or what images to put.

- Arcade (Dedicated) -> Arcade Cabinets
- Arcade Conversion -> Arcade PCB Boards
- Neo Geo MVS EU/JP/NA -> Neo Geo MVS Cartridges
- Nintendo Playchoice 10 EU/JP/NA -> Nintendo Playchoice 10 EU/JP/NA Cartridges
- Pinball -> Pinball Machines
- Sega ST-V -> Sega ST-V cartridges

Not sure about CPS, Nintendo VS, SNK Hyper Neo Geo 64 yet

Add category for Atomiswave Cartridges.

Potentially add separate (new) categories for Arcade Manuals, flyers, instruction cards and marquees.
Arcade hardware that is non-cabinet/non-cartridge items would go into Arcade PCB section. (From the above, may put the NAOMI hardware into there rather than make a new category just for it. It will end up going to a poll most likely, since if it is all treated like this, then MVS 1-slots would go into that section and not have their own MVS Hardware section. We'll see)

EDIT: there are not enough entries for Sega NAOMI Hardware (and likely NAOMI 2 among others) to warrant its own entry. They will be moved into Arcade Conversions category for now. Revised original name from Arcade PCBs to Arcade Boards, which will include all items without a category and that are not cabinets. May consider adding an Arcade Hardware category to have just PCBs in the Boards section, but non-game/non-cabinet items can go into there.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:14:48 am by tripredacus »

tripredacus

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2020, 12:16:04 pm »
Still taking a break from the Sega Dreamcast section work, as it was what I was doing before I ran into the NAOMI dupe issue which led to fixing up the Arcade section (see post in News category)...

After that work on Arcade is done, and before going back to the Dreamcast stuff, I will work on creating a new forum section that serves two purposes. It will be a section dedicated to the Style Guide, the base post that is in VGDB (this section) will remian, but I will make a thread for each category as they are worked. This will handle any category specific style information, as well as serve as an identification guide regarding releases, where to find info, how things are rating, their construction etc. So as an example, for PS3 we can have information about which item number to use, its formatting, the other item numbers one the spine or back. What the item is like sealed, the font of the logo (old vs new), yellow dots, what regions got which ratings, etc. Basically, the Style Guide itself can be confusing, so if we can provide a breakdown of specific consoles or categories, with pictures explaining these things, I think it will do a lot of good.