Author Topic: Do you lend your games?  (Read 7521 times)

dreama1

Do you lend your games?
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:49:12 am »
Do you lend your games? Why? How do you feel about people touching the rarities in your collection?

Re: Do you lend your games?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:50:24 am »
No I typically don't lend games but I do give away system/game bundles to friends and family instead of selling it off. I'd never lend any rarities even if someone asked though because these same friends and family don't view them the way I do and might not take care of them.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:49 am »
I have no problem with people looking/touching my collection at my place. I don't see the point of lending it out to someone though, I mean, if they really want to play it they can just play it emulated on their computer

kashell

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:09 am »
Back when I was a kid we would trade games for a week or so. These days, the only person who I lend a game to is my brother. He's the only one I trust who won't do something foolish.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 09:23:40 am »
I've learned to follow the philosophy of "Don't let someone borrow something that you will want back". 

I've had too many situations where I would lend someone something and it would go missing, without any intent of replacing it, or they would claim it's theirs or that you GAVE it to them.  I've lent out CDs and games to friends in my youth and too many times it would disappear.  I've let my brothers borrow some N64 games, games that we had as children but sold or traded off that I went out and bought recently, and he would later claim that it's his from our childhood.  I let my brother borrow an N64 and about 10 games, about a year later, I asked if my brother would bring back 2 of the games I let him borrow, and he and the rest of my sibling unit proceeded to throw 10 sorts of shit fits claiming that I had no right to ask for any of it back.  At this point I've only managed to acquire maybe 7 out of the 10 games through other means.  There is still contention about this because not only are they claiming that those 10 games aren't mine, they are claiming some of the games that I bought after I moved out are theirs too.

When I moved out of my parents house, before I was allowed to pack up my collection, I had to let my siblings go through my collection and pick out games they claimed were theirs.  Sort of luckily, in my youth we only had an N64 and Gamecube, so those were the only consoles they could try to steal games from.

The only acceptable answer to this question is no.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:48:10 am »
Only 2 of my closes friends. that is cause they take care of my stuff and return it.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:16:02 am »
I used to but not anymore. I had once lent out both of the Katamari games on PS2 but have not gotten them back yet. Its been many years.   :'(

azure

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:30 am »
I only lend out games to people I trust, like a couple of my friends who are collectors as well. Even then I don't see myself lending out a rare game, or one that has a lot of sentimental value to me.

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 10:50:32 am »
I'll lend titles to friends who I know will take care of them. I lent a Nintendo DS Lite and some games to my friend's younger brother and he lost a few of the games and damaged the system. There are certain titles I won't lend if they're valuable too. I'm a major freak about titles I've bought brand-new as well and usually don't lend them out. If it's a disc based game I'll keep the box and manual and just lend the disc in one of these:

For any cart games I lend I use the NES clamshell cases like these:

Overall though, I'd feel comfortable lending games to anyone on this site because everyone is a collector and (presumably) takes care of their video game titles. I'll lend controllers and system accessories too because they're hard to ruin/damage. I don't mind people touching rarities/valuables in my collection as long as they've cleaned their hands. (I've got hand-sanitizer in my game room for a reason)
A couple of weeks ago, I was at work and my brother had a friend over, they got drunk and his friend spilt beer on my N64 shelf. Thankfully it didn't get in any of the carts (because they have pin covers on them) or damage the labels. I know it was an accident, but it upsets me when people don't take care of my things. Bottom line, if you take care of it your things and I know you'll take care of mine, I'll lend you games, If not, I won't.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

azure

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »
I'll lend titles to friends who I know will take care of them. I lent a Nintendo DS Lite and some games to my friend's younger brother and he lost a few of the games and damaged the system. There are certain titles I won't lend if they're valuable too. I'm a major freak about titles I've bought brand-new as well and usually don't lend them out. If it's a disc based game I'll keep the box and manual and just lend the disc in one of these:

Overall though, I'd feel comfortable lending games to anyone on this site because everyone is a collector and (presumably) takes care of their video game titles. I'll lend controllers and system accessories too because they're hard to ruin/damage. I don't mind people touching rarities/valuables in my collection as long as they've cleaned their hands. (I've got hand-sanitizer in my game room for a reason)
A couple of weeks ago, I was at work and my brother had a friend over, they got drunk and his friend spilt beer on my N64 shelf. Thankfully it didn't get in any of the carts (because they have pin covers on them) or damage the labels. I know it was an accident, but it upsets me when people don't take care of my things. Bottom line, if you take care of it your things and I know you'll take care of mine, I'll lend you games, If not, I won't.
I do the same thing when lending out games, the case/manual just has a chance of getting damaged in my mind.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 12:15:53 pm »

I do the same thing when lending out games, the case/manual just has a chance of getting damaged in my mind.
Yup, I lent a game a while back and my friend's sister chewed on the spine of the case and left a booger on the manual. I kid you not.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 12:33:04 pm »
That is so damn disgusting.

doafan

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 01:05:16 pm »
I've learned to follow the philosophy of "Don't let someone borrow something that you will want back". 

Never saw it this way but this is so damn true use to do this in the past and am still crying for so many titles that I had lost because of this, some of them I managed to purchase them again but still and maybe will never going to have at my collection Demon's Crest for the SNES, Mega Man V for the GameBoy and Felix the Cat for the NES, wish a painfully death to those mothafuckas that I lend these titles.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »
Depends on who it is. I lend stuff to my brother occassionally, but usually place a max number of games he cam borrow at once. Typically it's no more than two games at a time.

aliensstudios

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »
Depends on who it is. I lend stuff to my brother occassionally, but usually place a max number of games he cam borrow at once. Typically it's no more than two games at a time.
I don't think I'd lend to any of my three brothers unfortunately. They just don't take good care of things. If I did lend it, I'd have to watch them the whole time