Author Topic: Free Kid Icarus AR cards!  (Read 9741 times)

darko

Re: Free Kid Icarus AR cards!
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 09:48:56 am »
Thats my problem. Most actual Nintendo made games are just platformers and Im not terribly interested in them.

Hmm...well Kid Icarus is a shooter but okay :)

amauriel

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
Thats my problem. Most actual Nintendo made games are just platformers and Im not terribly interested in them.

With the exception of Yoshi's Island DS, which I recently picked up, I'm not sure when I've last bought a platformer...and I buy tons of games that are Club Nintendo.

Starfox, Zelda, Layton, Nintendogs, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon all come to mind. Really, Mario games are the only true platformers they still really promote, I think. Maybe I'm jaded because I'm a Nintendo fangirl.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 12:10:50 pm »
I guess my definition of "platformer" is different than yours. To me (and probably me alone) a platformer is one that is based on a mainly publicized character (Mario, Zelda, etc). Most Nintendo based games Ive noticed are based on the same few characters and are mostly geared toward younger crowds. Zelda and Metroid being the only line of games that Nintendo makes that interests me and I lost most interest in those around the N64 time. Im hoping that Kid Icarus is different but my fear is its going to be a totally different game than the first like the way Zelda/Metroid games have changed.

jobocan

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »
Platformers are games where most of the action revolves around jumping on different types of platforms, hence the term "platformer". See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_platform_game_series (note: this list includes a few games that aren't platformers, like Bebe's Kids and Golden Axe)

soera

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »
Yeah I understand the definition. I just view the word differently. Those to me I consider side scrollers.

*EDIT* Lol just clicked on your link and side scroller was mentioned.

jobocan

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:43 pm »
Yeah I understand the definition. I just view the word differently. Those to me I consider side scrollers.

*EDIT* Lol just clicked on your link and side scroller was mentioned.

Yeah, side-scroller works too, but it can be misleading, since various shoot 'em ups, beat 'em ups and run n' gun games are also side-scrolling while not being platformers :P

soera

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »
But they dont have the big platform name! (Well, not all)

Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc ... They are the big "platform" name on which the big companies make their money.

scott

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »
I think you're confusing platform for first-party.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
I havent heard anyone call them first party games but, yes, those are the games Im talking about. :)

desocietas

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 03:02:21 pm »
But they dont have the big platform name! (Well, not all)

Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc ... They are the big "platform" name on which the big companies make their money.

Heh, I don't think of characters being platforms.  I think of systems/consoles or floating slabs of land as platforms.

I get what you mean, though, as I used to have the same definition for a while.  But I think of those now as character franchises or series.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 04:03:10 pm »
Fair enough. Ive just always associated a lot of systems with a certain line of games. Nintendo is famous for Mario/Zelda, Sega and Sonic/Alex Kidd, TG for Bonk, etc. Those are what Ive considered platformers ... but first party games sounds legitimate too. :)

darko

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 05:14:19 pm »
Well that's good that you're okay with the entire gaming industry's definition.

How would you classify R-Type, Bust-A-Move, Tetris and Need for Speed?

I think you should change your definition of "Platformer" to "Games I consider mainstream" or "Games I don't care about because they're not RPGs".

:)

Soera and I are hanging out on Saturday. I'll be sure to make him some flash cards!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:22:18 pm by darko »

soera

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 05:50:13 pm »
Ha .. ha .. ha.

As far as the games you mentioned, R-Type : shooter, Bust-A-Move : puzzle, Tetris : also puzzle, Need for Speed : driving

I think they all fit under the "Games I dont care about because they are not RPGs" however!

jcalder8

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 06:05:27 pm »
darko, thank you for sacrificing your weekend to help soera!

Maybe you can start up a support group for similar people, I know my wife needs help with the difference between first and third person shooters.

scott

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 06:11:29 pm »
darko, thank you for sacrificing your weekend to help soera!

Maybe you can start up a support group for similar people, I know my wife needs help with the difference between first and third person shooters.

Hahaha nice one there.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread