Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 250617 times)

upondoom

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »
Hi everybody,

Joined recently because I really loved the "collection" system the site has, while I was here I decided to stop by the forums for some discussion. I absolutely love the marketplace though I wish it was more active. I've been playing vidya since I was a wee little lad and started collecting just a few years ago (before I was that kid who couldn't stop shoving off all his least-played games to the nearest used video game store). Other than loving video games, I am also a huge fan of music, arguably more than video games, so that's why I decided to link my last.fm in my signature to maybe show off some of my taste. I am usually very sarcastic and make jokes in most of my posts, which tends to offend people for some reason, I guess it catches them off-guard and people think I'm serious. Oh well, you guys already hate me but I'm here to stay! (for now)

Shit, I love me some sarcasm, too!

See...

Now this was a decent (and unoffensive:) post.

Might have worked-out a little better for ya' if you'd made your nice & informative "Intro post", oh...I dunno...maybe BEFORE saying that a game (that others here likely enjoy & bought) is a piece-of-shit...not even worth $2.00 - And/Or
BEFORE your post calling one of our regular & long-time members here a "faggot"...

Just some food for thought...maybe it will help you w/ making "1st impressions" in the future  ;)

Wow! Thank you for the post, kind sir. This has really opened my eyes as a person and as a poster on an online forum. Did you know if I never ever came to this forum I wouldn't have learned this valuable lesson you have given me? I've thought a lot about myself after reading this post earlier today, and I honestly think I am a better man because of it. I wanted people to like me so badly I just tried to be as edgy as I could to get attention! Maybe they would think I'm cool for not caring about the rules... whatever I previously thought is the past now, as I will try to be the best, most respectful person I can be! Thank god for this post, because I've decided I'm going to be nice from now on, no need to be rude in any situation! I'm going to nail all my first impressions in the future to make sure people like me right off the bat! I just wanna thank you one last time. You've been a great help to me.  :)

I play da video games and listen to da metalz.

Last.fm

matt

« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2012, 07:12:07 pm »
and done.

I'm not in the business of handing out bans so please keep this on topic.

« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2012, 08:32:14 am »
Hi, I'm thedisappearer.  I'm in the US Army, stationed in Germany (which really makes collecting difficult) and currently in Afghanistan (which *really* makes collecting difficult).  I collect a little of everything, but mostly Nintendo.  I suppose at some point I'll sell the other systems/games off to finance harder-to-find, more expensive games, but I'm not quite at that point yet so...  I have probably just under a thousand games (my full list is back in Germany) but not too many rares and only ~50 CIBs. 

After being politely reminded by my wife that I promised not to collect via eBay while in Germany, I wandered around the internet looking for a place to read up on games and collecting, as if some breaking news might appear about a new SMB game for the NEs or something, and ended up hear.  Been mostly lurking/feeling the place out, but seems entertaining, especially if I don't question people's sexuality due to game preferences.
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

htimreimer

« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2012, 08:47:41 am »
Hi, I'm thedisappearer.  I'm in the US Army, stationed in Germany (which really makes collecting difficult) and currently in Afghanistan (which *really* makes collecting difficult).  I collect a little of everything, but mostly Nintendo.  I suppose at some point I'll sell the other systems/games off to finance harder-to-find, more expensive games, but I'm not quite at that point yet so...  I have probably just under a thousand games (my full list is back in Germany) but not too many rares and only ~50 CIBs. 

After being politely reminded by my wife that I promised not to collect via eBay while in Germany, I wandered around the internet looking for a place to read up on games and collecting, as if some breaking news might appear about a new SMB game for the NEs or something, and ended up hear.  Been mostly lurking/feeling the place out, but seems entertaining, especially if I don't question people's sexuality due to game preferences.
welcome to the site thedisappearer and i must  say why not get your self a VC 4000 when in germany: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=726&st=2
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:12:18 am by htimreimer »

matt

« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2012, 09:30:46 am »

haha! Well welcome to the site! Where is home?

scott

« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
Welcome thedisappear! Stay safe over there.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:26 am »
Can't figure out how to multiquote so...

@ htimreimer
Add more systems?  I should have added I am happily married and want to stay that way.

@ matt
I'm from the Philly/South Jersey area.

@ scott
Thanks!  I plan on it.
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

jcalder8

« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:59 am »
Welcome to the site thedisappearer!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2012, 11:35:11 am »
I'm from the Philly/South Jersey area.

Another "Welcome to the site" & keep your ass safe over there, thedisappearer!

Sounds like you're local (to me, at least)...(GSP Exit # 63 (L.B.I. area))...

Ever been to "Game-City" in A.C.?

Awesome store for all games & systems...new & old!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38:48 am »
Hi everybody,

Joined recently because I really loved the "collection" system the site has, while I was here I decided to stop by the forums for some discussion. I absolutely love the marketplace though I wish it was more active. I've been playing vidya since I was a wee little lad and started collecting just a few years ago (before I was that kid who couldn't stop shoving off all his least-played games to the nearest used video game store). Other than loving video games, I am also a huge fan of music, arguably more than video games, so that's why I decided to link my last.fm in my signature to maybe show off some of my taste. I am usually very sarcastic and make jokes in most of my posts, which tends to offend people for some reason, I guess it catches them off-guard and people think I'm serious. Oh well, you guys already hate me but I'm here to stay! (for now)

Shit, I love me some sarcasm, too!

See...

Now this was a decent (and unoffensive:) post.

Might have worked-out a little better for ya' if you'd made your nice & informative "Intro post", oh...I dunno...maybe BEFORE saying that a game (that others here likely enjoy & bought) is a piece-of-shit...not even worth $2.00 - And/Or
BEFORE your post calling one of our regular & long-time members here a "faggot"...

Just some food for thought...maybe it will help you w/ making "1st impressions" in the future  ;)

Wow! Thank you for the post, kind sir. This has really opened my eyes as a person and as a poster on an online forum. Did you know if I never ever came to this forum I wouldn't have learned this valuable lesson you have given me? I've thought a lot about myself after reading this post earlier today, and I honestly think I am a better man because of it. I wanted people to like me so badly I just tried to be as edgy as I could to get attention! Maybe they would think I'm cool for not caring about the rules... whatever I previously thought is the past now, as I will try to be the best, most respectful person I can be! Thank god for this post, because I've decided I'm going to be nice from now on, no need to be rude in any situation! I'm going to nail all my first impressions in the future to make sure people like me right off the bat! I just wanna thank you one last time. You've been a great help to me.  :)

Any time :)

I'm always glad when I can help a fellow-gamer out w/ something so simple :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »
Heyo,

i am a northern Canadian collector. i honestly dont have enough time to catalog my games onto the site yet... so i only added my small collections so far, (genesis, Wii, 64, PS) i am honestly scared when i decide to put my pc games on the site, and then my peripherals. i have boxes and boxes of addons and such for all my systems.... :(

i am currently working on my NES collection, it currently sits around 230 games, 40 or so boxed, and only 4 Factory Sealed Games... :( my PC game collection is always growing, at last count it was at 1700 unique games, and 2100 total games about.... :)

my future wife was kind enough to let me have the entire basement for my "man cave" other than the laundry room... :) so when i get more work done on it i will probally be posting pics as i am very proud of it. i currently am typing this on a 128" projection screen... :) i have my computer, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, PS3, and genesis all hooked to it.

i currently use the downstairs bedroom to rebuild computers, so there are about 12 cases in there right now.... understair storage is used for the fiancee's cocacola stuff,

then the downstairs rec-room is split into my gaming station and a wet bar i built that is not quite done yet. :)

slowly but surely i am adding more and more of my games and such... but i got here a little late in the game and well, i like to play games more than catalog them.... :)

« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »
I'm new to collecting (and to this site). It's brought new life to my PS2 which was previously collecting dust in my basement until I embarked on this quest to collect every RPG ever made.

The first games I ever played were Super Mario World and Donkey Kong. SNES and PC reigned supreme with Wolfenstein 3D being the best thing ever. I loved FPS in the 90s so I was hooked on Doom and Quake as well--those were the only FPS I've ever played and probably ever will play. Then PS1 and N64 came on the scene, so FFVII and Mario 64 became my latest and greatest. When the PS2 arrived I hadn't been gaming for awhile and wasn't interested until FFX appeared and piqued my curiosity. That game along with FFX-2 were my favorites in high school; I haven't played a FF game since then. I just started gaming again recently with Dragon Age: Origins and Oblivion being my current addiction.

Anyway, happy to have found vgcollect--feel free to message me with suggestions for good RPGs or obscure PC games!  :)

jcalder8

« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »
Welcome to the site shoryuken4u!

Good luck with your quest, have you thought about what you classify as an RPG? It can be very overwhelming depending on how you define it :)

soera

« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »
I can help ya with a decent playable rpg list

Nes : Final fantasy, Dragon warrior 1-4, Destiny of an Emporer, Ultima: Quest of the Avatar, Gargoyle's Quest.
SNES : Final Fantasy 2/3, Chrono Trigger, Tecmo: Secret of the Stars, Breath of Fire 1/2, Super Mario RPG (the game Im currently playing atm).
SMS : Ys, Miracle Warriors, Phantasy Star, Ultima IV.
Genesis : Phantasy Star 2-4, Sword of Vermillion.
PS1 : Tales of Destiny 1/2, Dragon Warrior VII, Alundra 1/2, Suikoden 1/2, Breath of Fire 3/4, Final Fantasy (Origins, Anthology, Chronicles, 7), Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Lunar 1/2, Arc the Lad.
PS2 : Dragon Quest VIII.
Sega CD : Vay, Lunar 1/2.
Saturn : Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey.

This is a start. My definite favorite genre is RPG and I enjoyed almost everything listed on here.

« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2012, 04:49:14 pm »
Welcome to the site shoryuken4u!

Good luck with your quest, have you thought about what you classify as an RPG? It can be very overwhelming depending on how you define it :)

Thanks! And yea--I think the term RPG can become a bit convoluted at times (Skyrim is an RPG?). Maybe I'm just use to more traditional RPGs with the turn-based battles and whatnot. My plan isn't to exclude any games though--I want to include all RPGs as well as games from other genres that have RPG elements. Hello overwhelming! :)