Author Topic: Kickstarter craze  (Read 11377 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Kickstarter craze
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »
I just got really turned-off to it when I saw a girl trying to raise $4,000.00 for something.

Last time I looked at it (~a month ago) it was at close to 1/4 million dollars.

There was no accounting of what was to be done w/ this *HUGE* overage.

I guess that I'd feel *A LOT* better if they were 'capped' once they reached their stated/targeted amounts...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:39 pm »
I just got really turned-off to it when I saw a girl trying to raise $4,000.00 for something.

Last time I looked at it (~a month ago) it was at close to 1/4 million dollars.

There was no accounting of what was to be done w/ this *HUGE* overage.

I guess that I'd feel *A LOT* better if they were 'capped' once they reached their stated/targeted amounts...

I'm glad they don't cap these projects.  Let's say I want to back a project for someone that wants to design a watch and at a $60 pledge I will receive one.  This person wants to raise $40,000 for the project to be funded, if he/she makes it to $100k+ you get it personally engraved and at $200k+ it will have custom needles.  So for my $60 I get the watch I originally wanted and if the project does well I get more.  WIN/WIN imo...  I don't now why someone would back a project they didn't like.  There are tons of really good ideas out there... and some bad ones too

pacpix

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:46 pm »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

madmax

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2012, 11:47:19 pm »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

This looks amazing! They said they wanted to make it in a grand scale, so there is a possibility of different colonies on planets and such. Looks really great :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 10:56:52 am »

I'm glad they don't cap these projects.  Let's say I want to back a project for someone that wants to design a watch and at a $60 pledge I will receive one.  This person wants to raise $40,000 for the project to be funded, if he/she makes it to $100k+ you get it personally engraved and at $200k+ it will have custom needles.  So for my $60 I get the watch I originally wanted and if the project does well I get more.  WIN/WIN imo...  I don't now why someone would back a project they didn't like.  There are tons of really good ideas out there... and some bad ones too

I wouldn't have a problem in that case because it's stated in advance what the overages would be spent on.

The one I saw said she needed $4,000.00 to make a video, and made no mention of what/where any extra $ would go...

scott

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »
That's the nice thing about the ones for Reaper Miniatures and Red Box Games (which I backed both). Every time they hit a new goal, they would release another and the money raised for reaching these goals are only spent on tooling and producing the product for said goal.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »
That's the nice thing about the ones for Reaper Miniatures and Red Box Games (which I backed both). Every time they hit a new goal, they would release another and the money raised for reaching these goals are only spent on tooling and producing the product for said goal.

That, I'd have no problem with :)

desocietas

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2012, 12:48:33 pm »
Congrats, Scott, on being part of another million dollar Kickstarter project!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2012, 06:05:01 pm »
Congrats, Scott, on being part of another million dollar Kickstarter project!

Thanks, looks like they broke 3.4 million AND they also killed Kickstarter in the process. Apparently 17k folks all hitting F5 at the same time is bad for KS's health. haha

desocietas

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:54 pm »
Just thought I'd tack onto this topic to mention a project I just backed:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

I really liked The Longest Journey but haven't played Dreamfall yet.  In any case, I think it's cool that these ol' adventure games are excited to make more possibly great games.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:06 pm »
Just thought I'd tack onto this topic to mention a project I just backed:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

I really liked The Longest Journey but haven't played Dreamfall yet.  In any case, I think it's cool that these ol' adventure games are excited to make more possibly great games.
It looks cool but a year and a half to have my money tied up in it with no payoff is just too long for my tastes.

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:51 pm »
Everyone should check out Empire Eden. The art style is phenomenal, and the gameplay looks very well done. They aren't doing very well at the moment with the Kickstarter though. Maybe they can get a boost somehow.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1248339394/empire-eden

scott

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:35 pm »
Doesn't look like the folks over at The Tale of Alltynex kickstarter are gonna make it to the physical edition. Such a shame.

But, it looks like as a thanks, they sent out a backer only update saying they are deciding to upgrade everyone who put in for $45 or more to a Digital Deluxe edition. Complete with PDFs for all the disc art, cover art and a few other things that were planned for the Physical copies.

There's like 16 hours left, so if you're a shmuper and didn't know about this one, I'd suggest hopping on it. Or, you can wait til the English versions hit Steam too.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyumedia/the-tale-of-alltynex-japans-epic-shooting-game-tri

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »

jobocan

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 06:05:48 pm »
Spiritual successor to Neverhood???

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog?ref=live

I was just about to post about this one. I've been following this project for a couple months now, I'm pretty hyped. Never played Neverhood, but I did play the sequel, Skullmonkeys, and it was really good and featured that really fun clay animation of course.