Author Topic: Character limit reached on Item name field  (Read 291 times)

tripredacus

Character limit reached on Item name field
« on: September 05, 2018, 11:45:15 am »
It had to happen eventually. A Playstation 3 game released in Japan has a name too long to be entered into the name field.

This is OK: Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Suujikugun Tai Rengougun Zensekaisen
https://vgcollect.com/item/149511

However, there is a Limited Edition, but it won't fit! It goes to:
Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Suujikugun Tai Rengougun Zensekaisen - Limited Editi

So two characters too long in this name. :)

rayne315

Re: Character limit reached on Item name field
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:21:05 pm »
ouch that is a 120 character limit. that title is really long! Congrats!
PS2 Palooza: 6/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Katamari Damacy
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 06:17:41 pm »
jesus christ

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
Damn... I figured it capped at 75 or something
I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories I tell you what.

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 03:52:31 am »
It may not be a final solution for the problem of the limited number of characters on the title, but why don’t you try writing Daisenryaku: Dai Tōa Kōbōshi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Sūjikugun Tai Rengōgun Zensekaisen - Limited Edition?
It is a valid romanization of the game’s title and will save you some characters.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 06:03:52 am »
Is there really that many video games released in Japan that they needed such a long title?  ::)

that could also be a lot shorter if the text was written in Japanese I'm guessing  ???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:06:16 am by oldgamerz »
(PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY)
Life on earth is only temporary and If you believe in God and do good in life. You can continue to live with any possessions  you desire, in the afterlife, as long as you do good and don't do evil in real life.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:59:38 am »
You could use LE  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
It may not be a final solution for the problem of the limited number of characters on the title, but why don’t you try writing Daisenryaku: Dai Tōa Kōbōshi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Sūjikugun Tai Rengōgun Zensekaisen - Limited Edition?
It is a valid romanization of the game’s title and will save you some characters.

We have two problems already.
1. The Style Guide was updated to use the "common" name for items per a list of sites, which (currently for this argument) exist for GameFAQs and Mobygames. This particular game is not on mobygames, and the name I used in the existing entry and in this thread is the name from GameFAQs.

2. The Style Guide specifically says to use a transliteration, not a romanization, nor do we specify which specific romanization methods to use for any language. By far, we know that the most common was to romanize Japanese is to use the Hepburn method... But besides that, since the guide specifically uses the term transliteration it should invalidate the use of "sound letters" such as ō, etc.

This is why Dai Tōa Kōbōshi 3 would not be valid, as by definition, transliteration does not include pronunciation hints because that is transcription. This is why we would use the "ou" instead of ō in any item titles in the database. And non-Japanese users should be aware that when using Google Translate, Google will show the "transcription" below entered Japanese text and not a transliteration or romanization.

Anyways, this thread isn't about how we should be translating titles or abbreviating things, instead it is a bug report.

PS: for clarity, my current source for adding this game in the first place uses this title:
DAISENRYAKU DAITOUAKOUBOUSHI3 DAI-2-JI SEKAITAISENBOKPATSU SUJIKUGUNTAIRENGOUGUN ZENSEKAISEN [LIMITED EDITION]

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 10:21:48 am »
You could use LE  ;)

I think I will use Genteiban. Unlike some other LEs for PS3 that I've seen so far, this one doesn't seem to have the English printed on the box.

EDIT: it just fits.  :)
https://vgcollect.com/item/149600
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:31:04 am by tripredacus »