Author Topic: The Worst Thing That Could Happen To Modern Gamers IYO  (Read 4838 times)

The Worst Thing That Could Happen To Modern Gamers IYO
« on: December 02, 2018, 12:15:54 am »
I said this already on a reply to another thread. but I wanted to discuss this further with the modern gaming community. without changing the main question that was asked in there.

Do you think this is may be a possibility?

(IF) the next generation the 9th generation could charge us a weekly monthly or daily fee in order to continue to play the games and console we already purchased.

or if the console was only rented out, never sold to anyone both games and console. and required a bill through a service. like cable or internet and phone. and never sold to the public legally.

do you think that  the game companies will sick to a new low? or have some already done charged people for basic game functions? or perhaps patches?

I am not talking about Downloadable Content or charging just for extras.

What do you think would be the worst thing that could happen for modern gamers besides not having any video games? :'(

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:54:00 am by tripredacus »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: The Worst Thing That Could Happen To Modem Gamers IYO
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 02:12:33 am »
Streaming only consoles. A.k.a. giving endlessly greedy games industry bigwigs total control of what you can play and when while simultaneously obliterating video game preservation.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 02:22:05 am »
That the gaming industry makes mobile gaming their main thing   :P

Candy crush was succesfull very succesfull rivaling many of the bigger game franchises ever in terms of profit and the investment to create trash games such as this is minimal while the profits are absolutely massive.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:53:29 am »
Sounds very anti-consumer, it would mean the industry would have a set control on pricing and we wouldn't be able to find deals out in the wild anymore.

I personally cannot stand subscriptions, the only one I have is PS+ so i can play online - Admittedly the Free monthly games have been worth it... But I have an Xbox 360 too mainly because I was able to snag it cheap and gather a nice collection through the time I invested in researcing prices for games. If I had to pay a fee based on a time I simply wouldn't have branched out to that system at all.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:50:05 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 04:55:46 am »
Do you think this is may be a possibility?

(IF) the next generation the 9th generation could charge us a weekly monthly or daily fee in order to continue to play the games and console we already purchased.
This already happened. It’s called PS+ and Xbox Live.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:58:19 am by seether »

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 10:36:15 am »
Video game going 100% digital: I wouldn't necessarily stop playing video games if this happened, but it would mean I would never buy a game upon release. The most I have ever spent on a digital game was $20 and even that was met with some regret. Essentially I wouldn't be playing new games for years after they came out, possibly into the next console generation when they'd be marked down below $10. When this happens, yes I believe it inevitably will, I will be almost exclusively a retro gamer. I believe we have one more console generation past our current gen that will embrace physical media primarily, but all bets are off after that.

Mobile gaming gains a greater presence within gaming: I don't care what anyone says, mobile gaming is a watered down, very casual form of gaming that is made soully to appeal to non-gamers. It's already a pretty popular platform and has been, but fortunately it hasn't effected console and PC gaming, mostly. I feel like many of the design decisions in Pokemon Let's Go were heavily influenced by the success of Pokemon GO, which means I have no interest in it. Likewise, Command and Conquer, one of the most iconic PC franchises has been reduced to a crappy mobile game. I really hope this trend does not continue and mobile gaming stays its own thing within infecting console gaming. I'm fairly sure, however, that this is only wishful thinking.

The DLC/micro transaction business model becomes an industry standard: This one is already sort of happening; nearly every new video game has some DLC and micro transactions are becoming more and more common as well. I suppose the silver lining to all this is that most games are not effected by the DLC if you choose not to buy it. As soon as more games start implementing pay to win schemes or progression is greatly stifled by not buying a DLC pack or the in game micro transactions then I'm out.

My outlook on the video game industry is not a positive one. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and more set in my ways, or maybe it's because I value ownership of my games (hence why I collect), but I can see all these scenarios happening within the next decade. I'm almost counting on me spending the second half of my life being only into retro games.

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 11:40:00 am »
Games designed around politics and agenda and goodbye to the last free frontier.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 12:23:13 pm »
Two words: Live Services.

Becuase publishers figured out they don't actually have to make fun, self-contained games when they can convince us to effectively buy our own slot machines that take real money to run but only spit out digital trinkets. There's a reason I've gone more & more niche as time goes on, indies tend to be a lot more honest.

I could definitely see someone attempting a streaming/digital only machine, or a paid service to make the machine run at all... but I doubt it would be received well at all. Games consoles are still seen in somewhat the same vein as a Blu-ray or Cd player, and having to pay a monthly subscription to run your bluray player would be ludicrous. Plus, the people who provide internet are too cheap to build a national infrastructure, meaning there's plenty of rural & semi-rural places without the high speed internet to run a streaming/digital only box. (Case in point- there's still 5 Blockbuster Video stores open in Alaska.)

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 04:59:34 pm »
In all respect to the modern gaming community, I have nothing bad to say about the modern games themselves. The reason why I rave about it so much is because I don't want to pay for a console new or used. That could be useless in the coming years. and I don't want to only be able to but 12-20 games on my console. and need to erase data to fit more just to re-download. Off a server that may soon not have the games at all in the coming years. I own a 3 last generation consoles and it is bad enough to me they may cut patching servers to those games any day now.

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kypherion

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:20 pm »
I mean what you said basically.

Thank god for 6th generation and previous
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »
The OnLive Game System was a failed streaming-only system that became unusuable when OnLive was discontinued, proof that streaming-only is not viable.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 08:34:03 pm »
I mean what you said basically.

Thank god for 6th generation and previous

I feel like most 7th gen games are still playable with just whats on disk, especially if you purchase the later verson/greatest hits copies with have all the patching on disk. Gen 8 is going to be rough though since it seems like half the games are patches/day 1 updates.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 08:47:55 pm »
EA Battlefront I may be the first time originaltrilogy.com, full of dedicated Star wars preservationists is unable to preserve part of Star Wars history. The Holiday Special, no problem. Michael Parbot's Making of Empire Strikes Back documentary, took some time but eventually was preserved. The 1990s Arcade games that once were unplayably glitchy when emulated? They found fixes for those emulation bugs. But this might be impossible to preserve given that the game is tied to EA's servers, which will go offline whenever EA feels like it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:53:22 pm by courtlyhades296 »

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 09:34:40 pm »
EA Battlefront I may be the first time originaltrilogy.com, full of dedicated Star wars preservationists is unable to preserve part of Star Wars history. The Holiday Special, no problem. Michael Parbot's Making of Empire Strikes Back documentary, took some time but eventually was preserved. The 1990s Arcade games that once were unplayably glitchy when emulated? They found fixes for those emulation bugs. But this might be impossible to preserve given that the game is tied to EA's servers, which will go offline whenever EA feels like it.

I am aware that the sims 3 games for PC, it says in the lease agreement that almost none reads. that EA has the rights to take away The Sims 3 game (even on the game disc installs) and in fact can at any given time, deny it's fans access through a type of spyware that tracks the usage and shares  of when you play that game or any of it's expansions called "usage sharing" in the options panel.

On the original base game it was a optional feature to disable "usage sharing" but if you installed some of the later expansions disabling without it coming back on automatically. it is not an easy one click operation. I turned it off before but I am sick to the point that I don't even want to play that game knowing that I could lose all my game progress later on, and possible denied the rights to play the game (even with the disc)

On the latest the sims 2 DVD combos EA temporarily disabled the sims 2 for many people who complained about it on the internet, through a program called the "Game Launcher"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:41:28 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

ffxik

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 11:11:17 pm »

I am aware that the sims 3 games for PC, it says in the lease agreement that almost none reads. that EA has the rights to take away The Sims 3 game (even on the game disc installs) and in fact can at any given time, deny it's fans access through a type of spyware that tracks the usage and shares  of when you play that game or any of it's expansions called "usage sharing" in the options panel.

On the original base game it was a optional feature to disable "usage sharing" but if you installed some of the later expansions disabling without it coming back on automatically. it is not an easy one click operation. I turned it off before but I am sick to the point that I don't even want to play that game knowing that I could lose all my game progress later on, and possible denied the rights to play the game (even with the disc)

On the latest the sims 2 DVD combos EA temporarily disabled the sims 2 for many people who complained about it on the internet, through a program called the "Game Launcher"

Yep. The EULA states as much.  However unless your willingly breaking the EULA by doing something illegal to begin with.  You really don't have much to worry about.  People who just bought the game and used it normally haven't got much to fear.

There was a problem with the Sims 2 Game Launcher.  It wasn't anything like you're making out.  It was incompetence on EA's part and not maliciousness.  When you fire up the Game Launcher program it connects via the internet to the website.  However at this time EA had moved it to the same site that The Sims 4 was using.  It was too much strain for the program to bear and it would force close.

EA didn't disable it for people that complained online. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:18:24 pm by ffxik »