Author Topic: The Worst Thing That Could Happen To Modern Gamers IYO  (Read 4830 times)

ffxik

Re: The Worst Thing That Could Happen To Modem Gamers IYO
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 11:15:51 pm »
EA Battlefront I may be the first time originaltrilogy.com, full of dedicated Star wars preservationists is unable to preserve part of Star Wars history. The Holiday Special, no problem. Michael Parbot's Making of Empire Strikes Back documentary, took some time but eventually was preserved. The 1990s Arcade games that once were unplayably glitchy when emulated? They found fixes for those emulation bugs. But this might be impossible to preserve given that the game is tied to EA's servers, which will go offline whenever EA feels like it.

That is the reason I don't care for games that have a persistent internet connection or are online multiplayer only.  It's the very definition of disposable entertainment.

kypherion

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 11:04:31 am »
I mean what you said basically.

Thank god for 6th generation and previous

I feel like most 7th gen games are still playable with just whats on disk, especially if you purchase the later verson/greatest hits copies with have all the patching on disk. Gen 8 is going to be rough though since it seems like half the games are patches/day 1 updates.

True that, I can always play Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Smash Bros. Brawl or Halo Reach, but new stuff is a pain.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

tripredacus

Re: The Worst Thing That Could Happen To Modern Gamers IYO
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 11:56:28 am »
If this was a test to see how many replies you would get before someone noticed the trick in the topic title, it is now completed.

Topic title fixed.

kypherion

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 12:11:57 pm »
If this was a test to see how many replies you would get before someone noticed the trick in the topic title, it is now completed.

Topic title fixed.

huh?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 12:41:20 pm »

Topic title fixed.

I don't know what you mean, but I did change IMO to IYO to involve the community before getting any replies. because writing In Your or My Opinion don't fit as a topic title. Is this a repeat I am now going to search.

I don't hack or do tricks, but some people have tried to hack me and then try to get me in trouble for something I didn't do before

might or may changed to could? anyway thank you @tripredacus

if I do anything you think is wrong please let me know. sorry for the rant yesterday :-[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:59:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pizzasafari

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »
To gamers? I'm seeing less and less pushback against anti-consumer monetisation bullshit over time and I think before long we're just going to give up and let them do whatever we want, because there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it. Who remembers when the worst thing we tried to contend with was on-disc DLC and season passes? Seems so petty now that we're dealing with things like disuguised lootboxes and microtransactions in retail games, and who really even cares anymore? We got lucky with lootboxes because they just happened to break laws, but developers are finding workarounds where they can do it and get away with it, knowing that by DEFINITION they're selling gambling schemes to minors, and who's really kicking up a stink about it anymore? Some people are, but where are the big pushback campaigns? No-one cares anymore. Gamers are becoming apathetic to it and just accepting it now and it's not hard not to feel powerless. So I think the worst thing that I can say IS going to happen is we're just going to accept defeat and let the big names do whatever they want to our vidya. I've jumped right onto the "there needs to be a new crash" train but now that gaming is such a huge mainstream market I don't think it's possible anymore. The average joe doesn't think or care about it and the powers that be know that. And now the younger generations are growing up in a gaming market where the current state of gaming is all they've ever known, so they've no reason to push back against it because in their minds this is how things are supposed to be. They've never experienced just chucking a disc in a console and immediately powering it up and just playing a damn game and knowing you have a complete experience in front of you. Shit's pretty fucked up.

I've given up on the AAA market at this point because it's just pathetic to look at nowadays, anyone who wants to join me in the niche party is very welcome to. We have Persona. Though Arc System Works can be pretty dicky with its monetisation practices so the inevitable next Arena game might brew up some more fury. There's no winning, man.

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 08:06:26 pm »
If you think about, since the advent of mobile gaming, gamers now have been conditioned for stuff like DLC/micro-transactions because it's always been a component of their games. The teens who are gaming now were toddlers/little kids that had phones/tablets shoved in their faces to placate them and over time, more and more of those games started adding in DLC/micro-transactions. I think part of the lack of push back is because they're accustomed to it and didn't experience it like those of us who've been around longer. They probably equate our disdain for it as being like those people who do the whole "Back in my day...."

There was a post on Reddit a while back where this guy bought the Fortnite Switch bundle just for the skin that came with it. He traded the system in and took like a $200 hit or something but was okay with it because y'know...Fortnite people be crazy. At any rate, that's only one instance we're aware of; think about the people who binge on DLC/micro-transactions that you DON'T hear about. You can be sure that EA/Activision and the like know about them though, they've got the empirical data that shows people are buying that stuff up. They also know time is on their side and as the years go on, there will be less and less push back because by then gamers will be of the "that's just how it's always been" mentality.  :-\

Anyway, once Microsoft or whoever decides to ditch the optical drive on their system and go full digital is when I stop buying. I'm already concerned about games I'm buying now not working in 10 years because of a persistent need for online and/or the servers associated with them are shut down. I already have a few PS4 games that are nothing more than pretty drink coasters at this point (De-Formers and LawBreakers) because they're online-only and their servers are kaput. I can still play Project Spark on XB1 but not like it was originally intended so it's essentially a coaster as well.  :P

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 08:13:05 pm »
EA Battlefront I may be the first time originaltrilogy.com, full of dedicated Star wars preservationists is unable to preserve part of Star Wars history. The Holiday Special, no problem. Michael Parbot's Making of Empire Strikes Back documentary, took some time but eventually was preserved. The 1990s Arcade games that once were unplayably glitchy when emulated? They found fixes for those emulation bugs. But this might be impossible to preserve given that the game is tied to EA's servers, which will go offline whenever EA feels like it.

I am aware that the sims 3 games for PC, it says in the lease agreement that almost none reads. that EA has the rights to take away The Sims 3 game (even on the game disc installs) and in fact can at any given time, deny it's fans access through a type of spyware that tracks the usage and shares  of when you play that game or any of it's expansions called "usage sharing" in the options panel.

On the original base game it was a optional feature to disable "usage sharing" but if you installed some of the later expansions disabling without it coming back on automatically. it is not an easy one click operation. I turned it off before but I am sick to the point that I don't even want to play that game knowing that I could lose all my game progress later on, and possible denied the rights to play the game (even with the disc)

On the latest the sims 2 DVD combos EA temporarily disabled the sims 2 for many people who complained about it on the internet, through a program called the "Game Launcher"

POST FROM @ffxik
Yep. The EULA states as much.  However unless your willingly breaking the EULA by doing something illegal to begin with.  You really don't have much to worry about.  People who just bought the game and used it normally haven't got much to fear.

There was a problem with the Sims 2 Game Launcher.  It wasn't anything like you're making out.  It was incompetence on EA's part and not maliciousness.  When you fire up the Game Launcher program it connects via the internet to the website.  However at this time EA had moved it to the same site that The Sims 4 was using.  It was too much strain for the program to bear and it would force close.

EA didn't disable it for people that complained online.

yes thanks for correcting that, I worded it wrong, sorry. you're correct about the sims 2 launcher
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:19:27 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:21 pm »
 ;)  It's cool oldgamerz look at it this way yours are, so far some of the few topics I have seen lately that have actually provoked some in depth discussion.  That's always a plus.

tripredacus

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 09:46:22 am »

Topic title fixed.

I don't know what you mean, but I did change IMO to IYO to involve the community before getting any replies.

You can see the original topic title on the post titles on page 1 of this thread.
I can't think of how you (as the author) would have typed that word in wrong, unless you were using an auto-complete and didn't actually type the word.
For a reader, i would understand, as most would perceive it as a kerning error.

You are not in any trouble. If you were, I would have used the angry face emoticon.  ;)

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:14 am »
I've given up on the AAA market at this point because it's just pathetic to look at nowadays, anyone who wants to join me in the niche party is very welcome to.

Already here, man- shall we order the goose, or stick with something salty?

mark1982

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 10:35:55 am »
Once the gaming industry goes full on streaming like Netflix with a subscription plan I'll be done with modern gaming. Probably the reason why I have collected a decent sized retro collection so when that day comes I will have plenty of games to play until I die.

It's happening slowly already, digital is taking over. Streaming services will get better over time and everything will be cloud based like Netflix or Spotify. Ownership of games is being thrown out to be replaced with a rental service. Once you stop paying for your subscription your access is no more...

I've always enjoyed the idea of owning my games and having a library, called me old fashion but I'm just wired that way. "shrug"
  l    l 

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 08:23:18 pm »
If what the OP posted occurred, I would exit modern gaming. There is no way I'm paying a monthly or weekly fee for each game I would be interested in. There's already more games currently existing than I have time to play anyway.

pzeke

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 12:45:19 pm »
The industry seems to be transitioning to digital and DLC/micro-transactions keep being shoved down everyone’s throat, so I think the worst is already happening.

Granted, things might change, but I can’t help but be pessimistic about it all with every passing day.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »
I definitely hate how people how a lot of people have totally accepted, if not embraced the idea that "games as service", digital only and the like as an absolute inevitable of the future. Like, do people realize that if the companies gain 100% control over your products, the artistic integrity of the medium is absolutely dead? So many people don't bother pushing back against the "digital future" idea because they don't stop and think about the myriad of problems it entails.

...That being said, defeatism doesn't help. There are still plenty of very genuine, good games being made and companies like EA are being roundly rejected for their behavior and losing quite a big load of money for it. Physicaly games are selling just as well as digital games and are just as common as their counterparts in some places. Preemptively deciding the medium is dead is only going to get it there faster
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:50:20 pm by cirno »