Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Bally Astrocade  (Read 4270 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Bally Astrocade
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and this time I'm reviewing the Bally Astrocade.

Bally Astrocade

History:
In 1977 Bally entered the home console market with the Bally Home Library Computer, it was only available through mail order and didn't actually ship to costumers til early 1978. Then released it as the Bally Professional Arcade, by 1981 Montgomery Ward re-released the console as the Bally Computer System the changed it again in 1982 to what most people know it as the Bally Astrocade.

How did it do?
Poor, The system went through so many changes it never took off. The system was discontinued by 1985. With limited games, very little third party support it never had a chance. It didn't help the system was only sold by Montgomery Wards after 1981.

Graphics:
The systems graphics where a little better then the Atari 2600, but really never had anything to show it off.

Is this system still fun to play?
It can be, most are clones of classic Atari games.

What games are worth playing?
Clowns & Brickyard (Circus Atari), Space Invaders, The Incredible Wizard (Wizard of Wor) Muncher (Pac-Man) & Sneaky Snake (Centipede). Like I said the games are fun to play but there's nothing you cant play on Atari 2600.

How many versions are there?
Four, Most are just different badges of the names with different button colors, Arcade, Computer System, the ultra rare Home Library Computer and the rare white version of the console.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
While finding a console in the wild would be a feat, not impossible, but a feat. Online the consoles can fetch $150 - $600 depending on model and condition. The game carts look like small tape cassettes (first 8-tracks now cassettes) and I notice many have terrible glue bleeding. Finding a 100% working system can be difficult too. Especially it's weird fragile controllers. Most might be missing the top plastic cover. Unlike the Channel F the controllers are not hardwired into the console but the AC Adapter is.

My Experience with the Console
my first console I bought off a guy online for about $80 some years ago, it came with 12 games and everything worked great. It was a Computer System Model. Then just last year I found an Arcade model with 23 games, the Basic Computer accessory and 6 controllers for $130. (one of the games alone sells for over $200) The controllers remind me a lot of the Channel F, but this time a stick with a knob on top with a fire trigger. They really feel small and fragile. I honestly don't play this console a lot just due to lack of original games and I feel I could break it easy. I love how you can store the games inside the console itself. All the games I have are stored inside the two consoles I own.

Final Thoughts
This is like the Channel F, Great piece for collectors who love the "wood age" but kinda pointless for the casual collector / gamer.
But if you see one under $100 and its in excellent shape I wouldn't hesitate in picking it up.

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out, kinda makes you see the evolution. I'll try and have one up every weekend.   :D

Leave reply's on your experience with the Bally Astrocade, I would love to hear them.  :D   
Next week a really obscure console.

By the Numbers: 17 people own this console, but no one has a Home Library Computer or White models.

Past Reviews:
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:15:49 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: My 8-Bits: Bally Astrocade
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:36:49 am »
There are a lot of inaccuracies in this article.

theflea

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:13:08 am »
While I'm sure there could be, (I'm not perfect)  ::)
History was taken from what I found online so maybe it is off.
Send me a PM what's wrong and if I can find out the truth and I made a mistake I'll change it.
I double checked and read several other reviews on the system and everyone says about the same.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:42:46 am »
I found a working, boxed Bally Professional Arcade in a dirt mall for $15. It sucks. I don't really care for the 2600, much less a knock-off 2600. It's something cool to have, but I doubt I ever play it again.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »

bobster

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:04:05 am »
Another great write up TheFlea! Looks like a cool piece of history.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »
While I'm sure there could be, (I'm not perfect)  ::)
History was taken from what I found online so maybe it is off.
Send me a PM what's wrong and if I can find out the truth and I made a mistake I'll change it.
I double checked and read several other reviews on the system and everyone says about the same.

Don't worry about that guy. He's just a troll that followed me from GameSpot a while back. He's looking to start a circular argument, I'm sure.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »
Don't worry about that guy. He's just a troll that followed me from GameSpot a while back. He's looking to start a circular argument, I'm sure.
Yeah I totally remember that guy from the now deceased Legacy Platforms section of Gamespot. He was a known troll and suspected of making a slew of alt accounts that'd usually got banned for trolling within days. He'd post 1000-2000 word walls of text that would consist of nothing more than flame baiting nonsense. e.g. http://www.sportsgamer.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/gamecube-it-seems-it-failed-because-nintendo-was-l-29025578/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:04:21 pm by thecrypticodor »

theflea

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 01:34:22 am »
Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it.
If Jak wants to PM me what he feels in wrong with my review I'd be happy to look over it, hell I might even learn something. lol
Long as its not childish name calling I'm right your wrong attitude I don't care. But again PM it, I don't want this forum to be a flame war.  ;)
If he sends a bunch of opinionated BS facts, then it might be good for a laugh.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:42:36 am »
can the next one be on the laser active

theflea

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:06:03 am »
Hmm I kinda like the order I'm going. Seeing the consoles grow.
What do the rest of you guys think? break the order or keep on going as I have?
If you have any questions on the Laseractive I'm happy to answer them.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

bobster

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:09:35 am »
I personally like that you're going in chronological order (as far as I can tell).
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »
I personally like that you're going in chronological order (as far as I can tell).

Me too. Are you keeping it just to 1st and 2nd gen systems? Or are you planning on keeping this going?

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 03:16:48 pm »
I like it chronological also.

theflea

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 10:10:50 pm »

Me too. Are you keeping it just to 1st and 2nd gen systems? Or are you planning on keeping this going?

I plan on going til I hit the PS4 & XBone. lol
So Laseractive will be done (might be 8 months away, but it will be done.) lol
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:13:09 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"