Author Topic: Sega announcement  (Read 4427 times)

dhaabi

Re: Sega announcement
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 09:14:55 pm »
hopefully Sonic Mania 2

I'm hoping for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) 2.

Though it'd be real neat if part of the Sega branding thing the Xbox Series X will play Dreamcast and Saturn games.

If that were to happen, a lot of people not even on fence between the PS5 and Xbox Series X may suddenly become interested in the next generation. If some sort of Sega-branded Xbox deal were to play out successfully, this would be really cool. Nevertheless, I think this is a pretty cheap avenue that Microsoft can take in attracting a new market.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 09:53:38 pm »
hopefully Sonic Mania 2

I'm hoping for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) 2.

Though it'd be real neat if part of the Sega branding thing the Xbox Series X will play Dreamcast and Saturn games.

If that were to happen, a lot of people not even on fence between the PS5 and Xbox Series X may suddenly become interested in the next generation. If some sort of Sega-branded Xbox deal were to play out successfully, this would be really cool. Nevertheless, I think this is a pretty cheap avenue that Microsoft can take in attracting a new market.

while that does seem cool it would not make any sense in this day and age

Xbox does not need the niche relatively small audience that sega has for the old stuff. and the moderate succeses that it has had with some of the newer games.

It's a fraction of the market that Xbox and sony actually target it's not profitable at all. a fraction of the current gen console market.

Sega isn't noteworthy in this day and age for the big money.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telekill

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 09:03:54 am »
Being a pretty big Sega fan from Genesis to Dreamcast, I'm seriously hoping that this isn't about Xbox exclusive anything. Sega has finally got some traction back from being pretty horrible over the last 18 years or so. Sonic Mania, Shenmue 3 and Streets of Rage 4 show that Sega's IPs can still be good. They can still be fun. Taking those IPs and making them exclusive to anything other than a Sega system would be pretty well bulls**t. Thus, I'm hoping it doesn't happen.

If they were to try a Game Gear successor with say.... backwards compatibility (unlikely), many of their IPs on it, etc.... I would probably be on board. That's saying something considering how badly I got burned with the Vita. I swore off handhelds after that. Of course, this hypothetical handheld would have to do quite a bit right.

My guess for what they are going to be announcing is probably something along the lines of Seaman 2 Fish Guy's Revenge. Coming to a console near you this fall. Hoping for something more like a division within the company being made specifically to bring their IPs back to life similarly to Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4. Say with games like Comix Zone, Ecco, etc.

We'll see, but I don't have much faith in them.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 11:09:40 am »
I loved the old Sega... unfortunately the Sega we know now is just a former shell of what they used to be.  The quality just isn't there anymore.  Every now and then they release a gem, but it's few and far between.  It's sad really.

Keep those Genesis' plugged in if you really want that SEGA lovin'  ;)

telly

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 11:10:35 am »
It would be cool if they announced a mini console. I've been eyeing up that Genesis mini.

Too many mini consoles and not enough money, I also want a TG16 mini  :'(
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 11:41:08 am »
The only Mini console I'd want from Sega is what Tec Toy originally promised but failed to deliver. A Mega Drive that could play carts, as well as from memory card, and output to HDMI. Whether it is a Mega Drive or anything else doesn't matter. Now with MODE, there is no reason for me to want a Saturn or Dreamcast mini.

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 12:29:53 pm »
It would be cool if they announced a mini console. I've been eyeing up that Genesis mini.

I would really, Really, REALLY like it if they released more mini systems such as the SMS, Saturn and DC ones. I'd even go for a Genesis Mini II that has Sega CD and 32X games on it.  ;D

It always struck me though that Sega seems to forget they had other systems and only put out stuff related to the Genesis.  :-\

If they're trying to do anything with Xbox like be the Japanese face for them or something then IMO that'd be a huge waste time, effort, and money. Also, it would outright SUCK if MS bought them up... nothankyou.jpg  :P

I also want a TG16 mini  :'(

SAME!  8)

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 10:37:10 pm »
The Game Gear Micro just got revealed.  Definitely hope that they have something else for the 4th.

The Micro is cool, but way too small.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 11:10:18 pm »
So I was actually right on them bringing back the Game Gear, I just didn't think they would bring it back like this lol

That looks even smaller than the Game Boy Micro and that never looked like it would be actually fun to play, so something similar or even smaller seems kinda pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5LhWmKCWE

Yeah I'll pass on the Micro.  The novelty of it is neat, but they made the lame decision to have only 16 games available for it, but on top of that, they only have 4 games per color.  So if you want all of them, it'll be over 200 dollars.  It's also absurdly tiny and you can get a screen enlarger, which is maybe more goofy than when Nintendo did it for the Game Boy.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:45:24 am by kamikazekeeg »

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 05:19:15 am »
get a flash card and play on a original console. what's the point of a miniconsole these days.

If you want to upgrade them mini consoles illegally for more games why not go ahead and do that for multiple consoles on a single mini console instead of buying multiples.

Like say play sega genesis games on a snes classic, nothing is stopping you it's just an emulator box plenty of people done that.

Still pretty small indeed, i can't imagine many people buying those to actually use it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:21:43 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telekill

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 08:29:54 am »
Ok.... I'm a huge Sega Game Gear fan and even I'm scratching my head on this one.

That's what.... maybe a 1 inch screen? The size of a postage stamp.... then, separating the 16 games across 4 variants based on color.

Black/Regular:
 - Sonic the Hedgehog (worst of the Sonic games but still ok)
 - Puyo Puyo 2
 - Out Run
 - Royal Stone

Blue:
 - Sonic Chaos (one of the best games on the system)
 - Gunstar Heroes (a great game on the system)
 - Sylvan Tale
 - Baku Baku Animal

Yellow: - I've not played any Shining Force games.
 - Shining Force Gaiden: Ensei – Jashin no Kuni he
 - Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
 - Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
 - Nazopuyo Aruru no Ru

Red:
 - Revelations: The Demon Slayer
 - Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
 - The GG Shinobi (ok game)
 - Columns (ok game)

It would seem the Blue variant has the better set of four but it's still only four games on the tiny thing! FOUR! How is that worth $50?! I'm hoping that this game lineup and separating into four colors is only for Japan because the Game Gear is so niche here in America (thanks to Game Boy domination), there's no way this will sell here.

Here's what needs to happen for me to buy one....
1. Single color with 16-20 games. Hell, even a single with 15 games would be better than this.
2. HDMI out
3. No more than $75

If I got to choose what games were to be on the mini... going with only 15...
1. Sonic 2
2. Sonic Chaos
3. Sonic Triple Trouble
4. Sonic Spinball
5. Ecco the Dolphin
6. Jurassic Park
7. Gunstar Heroes
8. Streets of Rage
9. Streets of Rage 2
10. Road Rash
11. Virtua Fighter Animation
12. XMen
13. Castle of Illusion
14. Judge Dredd
15. Primal Rage

Yeah.... I don't know what to think about this but it seems a few higher ups at Sega are once again s**ting the bed.

kashell

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2020, 08:44:19 am »
Blech.

telly

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 09:51:20 am »
You can also spend $250 to get all 4 consoles and you get a magnifying screen!! ::)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sin2beta

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 11:02:56 am »
I'm a huge sega fan and will pass on the micro. I would potentially grab one if it was also a key chain. The purchase would be 90 percent for a keychain and 10 percent to play. Then soon to be 100 percent key chain as the keys scratch the hell out of the screen. But it just looks to be a really small game gear with few games.

Hoping for more on the fourth. I wrote for 2 websites specializing in sega previously. And sega would always do big teasers with underwhelming reveals. Likely this will be the same. They kept using revolutionary in their sega forever campaign, so im expecting a continuation of the now defunct service on next gen consoles and more.

But it is anyones guess. A lightbulb teaser meant two point hospital was coming.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 04:09:27 pm »
The Game Gear Micro just got revealed.  Definitely hope that they have something else for the 4th.

The Micro is cool, but way too small.

I can just imagine what this would look like in my man-sized hands. I mean, these things on the end of my arm are big and stupid. There’s no way I’ll get any use out of that tiny thing.

I think I broke the game gear micro by looking at a picture of it on my phone, that was in my hand.

And only 4 games per color?  That’s just silly.