Author Topic: Are You Happy With The Gaming Industry Now Or Past Discussion  (Read 830 times)

I am not going to make another post about how much I don't like it heading digital. But I have to ask

Are you happy with the gaming industry? I was just thinking of how it could be worse, at least today the home consoles don't digitally suck down money for game play time like some of the old the commercial arcade cabinets and machines used to. (edit) I just looked up micro transactions and I am aware about DLC

I may not be happy with the gaming industry now but. I do like most of the classics, and I'm sure glad I don't need to depend on quarters per play time. I do favor arcades I mean I would like to play them if I could

(off topic below)
Speaking of arcades I did go to barber shop and they had arcade cabinets in the back. and best of all they were (free) when I went to this place once with a friend.

Has anyone else been to a place with the arcade video games were free? besides home of course

(edit) I didn't see this similar question thread until now

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,9147.msg154635.html#msg154635

if admins and mods want they can merge the topics, I seriously would have posting in the old thread if I knew it was there :-\
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:57:55 am by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

telekill

Re: Are You Happy With The Gaming Industry Now Or Past Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:23:56 am »
I will say that there are positives and negatives to modern gaming. I started really getting into gaming during the NES days and have been a pretty avid gamer since. My favorite genre is narrative driven single player action/adventure games and my favorite series is Uncharted.

For my answer, I'm going to split up gaming into two eras; pre-internet and post-internet. For clarification, I'll be talking about consoles specifically for this split due to PC having internet multiplayer far earlier than consoles. I'm not going to include the likes of Sega Channel or that NES actually was built to potentially include a modem. That means pre-internet is the dawn of gaming through the PS1/Sat/N64 era. Post-internet will be PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/GC to today. While there are other topics beyond networking to compare, this is my line in the sand.

Positives:

The best benefit in my opinion of online gaming is the ability to play with friends across vast distances. I'm still able to play with college buddies I had in 2004 that I now live more than a thousand miles from. It's pretty fantastic. Voice chat while playing online was another great benefit. During my adult life, it was basically the only form of real friendship that I had as I never really had the time to make new friends as I moved around.

Another benefit is the instant availability of digital content. Instant in that you have the ability to download it and then play it instead of having to leave the home and go to the store.

The advent of digital gaming also saves physical space in your home.

Negatives:

When online gaming first started on consoles, there was quite a bit of anonymity for gamers. Due to that, and there also being a mic packaged with every Xbox (original), everyone was given a voice. While you can point to my above positive, this is a double edged sword. Never had I heard of the many lovers my mom had than when playing Halo 2 online for the single month that I owned the Xbox. Add in players that would sing into the mic or do anything other than coordinate to successfully complete the objective... and you have an idea of how this is a negative. Sadly, the general public don't rely on the veil of anonymity to be unpleasant online anymore; they don't care if it's known they're a jerk. That, however, can branch far outside the topic of gaming.

The next double edged sword is digital content. DRM on digital content means that you don't actually own the games that you buy. You're buying a license to play the game and thus, the game, or access too it, can be removed at any time by the owner of it. You can't resell the game to someone else once board of it either. I was always scratching my head as to why a digital game was full price (often for longer than it's physical counter part) when you consider the above.

Now let's add in online "services" such as loot boxes. Thankfully, there has been mass backlash against gaming companies for doing this not just from gamers but also those that could stop them. I believe some countries full on banned games that have loot boxes which saved the rest of us.

Another really big negative for me is the constant patching. For a while, it allowed developers to be lazy as hell, release unfinished games, then patch them later. Some games were completely changed. Some were patched for the better. Often, be it the OS on the hardware or a game patch, or even both.... you go to turn on a game for 10 minutes of fun and you have a 40 minute download ahead of you. Ridiculous.

Next we have online only games. This is a huge problem for me as once the servers are shut down, you've lost access to the game. There's generally no single player. While I've enjoyed some of them such as Warhawk (PS3), those games have a definitive lifespan. This kind of meshes into my second negative but is more of a hard line.

Conclusion:

I'm sure there are more positives and negatives that I didn't list, but these are the ones that were really at the top of my mind. I personally prefer the ease of pre-internet gaming. You put in the game you want to play, you play it to your heart's content, and then move to the next. Post-internet still have great single player games that are great but have massive install sizes. I have recently bought a 4TB external drive for my PS4 so it often feels like pre-internet gaming now that I don't have to worry about install sizes.

ffxik

Re: Are You Happy With The Gaming Industry Now Or Past Discussion
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:05:08 pm »
I believe honestly past generations had it better.  Lets take the visual aspect out, graphics were going to improve regardless.

Developers and publishers had to make sure their games were functional before releasing them.  I know that there were some buggy games and outright broken ones that made it out.  These days though it's really easy to shove it out the door and they may get around to making it somewhat playable via patches.  Which has just as much to do with the asinine release schedule AAA publishers are pushing dev's to.  I don't care if your mainline series gets a yearly release.  I want it functional.  It's funny that the first in the franchise can take 4+ years to develop but subsequent releases take a around a year.  Conversely on that note patches that destroy a game entirely.  Looking at you War Craft III

I'm a big proponent of physical.  I understand that not everybody has the space for multiple consoles and mountains of games.  I don't like the fact that you can pay for a game just to have it stripped from your system the next time you log in.  Digital is convenient, but at what cost?
Tied to my first complaint are the fact that games these days have massive patches that have to be installed right at the start.  You bought that game after the services for that console went down.  It required a day one patch to run properly.  Well, about that.....
Even if you purchase your games physically with the current generation and I guarantee those moving forward.  Tomorrows "retro" collectors are in for a bad time.

Micro transactions.  Sure an extra level here, a skin pack there.  It was a novel idea that has worn out it's welcome by being absolutely abused.  You want the real ending to that game? $14.99.  What's that? The characters that were shown in the trailer?  Yeah. that'll be $4.99 each.  You were getting too much content for your $59.99 so we decided to put it behind a paywall.

Online only.  I have several games that I cannot play because they were, online only.  I picked up Starhawk for the PS3 then shelved it figuring I'd get to it eventually.  I didn't realize it was an online only game until I read they had shut the servers down.  The same happened with Chromehounds on the 360.  Except I was in the shop, picked it up because it was a mech game only to realize they had shut the servers down mere days before I bought it.

So yes, past generation had it better over all.  The majority of the games you purchased were functional.  Sure they had to release another version to add characters or fix a few bugs.  They still do that today and if it isn't a physical release they hit you with the DLC, so your still out the extra cash.  The games still work as intended unless you didn't take care of your things, or are serviceable unless damage is extreme.
Sure games today offer massive amounts of content but in the end it feels incredibly hollow.  As each game vie's for your money and time.  Some get it right, most don't.