Author Topic: FAQ and Guidelines Brainstorming Thread.  (Read 11712 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: FAQ and Guidelines Brainstorming Thread.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:52 am »
Also, maybe include (or have a separate page/entry) for more collector/collecting-related slang & abbreviations, etc.

Not everyone who visits the site will already know what's being talked about w/ things like "In the Wild", "C.I.B.", LE/CE, OST, re-prints, re-seals, etc.

I do...everyone else here more than likely does...but, I imagine it would be a turn-off to potential new members to see a bunch of phrases/slang/abbreviations being used...and not having an easily available definition/explanation provided.

The last thing a site would want would be to lose potential new members (and/or new 'collectors') over something like that.

Personally, if I was to go to a site where I didn't already have much knowledge of these things -and- if I saw all kinds of new/foreign words, abbreviations, and the "lingo"...I'd be much more likely to return if I could easily click-on a "definitions"/"explanations" page than if I couldn't.

Then again, being as new to this site as I am myself...I'm not really even sure of what demographic(s) of gamers you're looking to attract to the site...any gamer?  any collector?  any *experienced* collectors?, etc, etc.

Which also brings me to the point of suggesting something like a "Mission Statement" or a "Who/What is VGCollect looking for/all about" kind of thing.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32:19 am »

I think one of the main issues is that a lot of people don't use the forum. They don't really get to see the guidelines when using the website. Maybe having a few pages on VGCollect dedicated to guidelines.

Then, to this point, maybe use an 'incentive' sort of thing to get newcomers more interested in/likely to look at & participate in the forums?

Again, I'm not sure how your user-ranks/'titles' ("Newbie", "Jr User", etc. work)?

I assume that it's not done strictly by a 'number of posts' thing (which, imo, is good) since, iirc, I've seen "older" titles next to users w/ less posts than some users w/ a higher number of posts.

I think that equating # of posts to a rank or title, always has & always will, do nothing but create a ton of "Karma"/"reputation" posts fllooding the forums.

This is also something that I'd suggest be explained in your "Welcome" or "FAQ's" page...

htimreimer

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:34:52 pm »
i think anything posts or replys that are about religion,sexuality and politics should not be allowed

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »
i think anything posts or replys that are about religion,sexuality and politics should not be allowed

That might be a bit hard since many games *have* religion(s), sex, and politics in them :P

htimreimer

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »

That might be a bit hard since many games *have* religion(s), sex, and politics in them :P
there should be limits

scott

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »
Actually, the rank is based on forum posts, currently. Because that was the default settings and it was never chanhed,. Because, well, for the moat part everyones posts have been discussing relevant or interesting topics.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »

You know, there is a place for that here...it's called "Off Topic" :)

On a side note, nothing turns away people like rules. Saying something is absolutely NOT allowed can be dangerous. There's a reason we have mods, I say leave it up to them. If something gets out of hand just send out a couple of PMs and make the thread disappear!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 10:05:57 am »
Actually, the rank is based on forum posts, currently. Because that was the default settings and it was never chanhed,. Because, well, for the moat part everyones posts have been discussing relevant or interesting topics.

Well then, if it's working & nobody's abusing it...I guess it's fine!

scott

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »
Also I love auto correct.  >:(

amauriel

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »
Also I love auto correct.  >:(

We're not getting a moat then?  ???
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »
Or if you're a new user, your questions as to how to do things.

Why did my "questions how to do things as a new user" post get moved out of this topic?

matt

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:27 pm »

Why did my "questions how to do things as a new user" post get moved out of this topic?

Your post looked like direct questions that you were looking for answers to as opposed to suggestions on what should be in the FAQ. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Regardless I've answered the questions in the other thread.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »

Your post looked like direct questions that you were looking for answers to as opposed to suggestions on what should be in the FAQ. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Regardless I've answered the questions in the other thread.

Thanks for the answers then.

It's no biggie...I just thought that whatever questions were asked here would be questions to think about including in a FAQ.

To be honest...I really don't care *where* the questions are answered :P

jcalder8

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 11:35:41 am »
I think an FAQ and Guideline Sub-Forum would be cool. That way we could share other FAQ's such as: Ways to spot bootlegs, How to be successful at thrift stores, Best ways to remove sticker residue...

scott

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »
I'm currently working on writing up the Collection/ Database entry FAQ.