Author Topic: FAQ and Guidelines Brainstorming Thread.  (Read 11711 times)

jcalder8

Re: FAQ and Guidelines Brainstorming Thread.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:44 pm »
Maybe something for the FAQs:
please don't link to sites that host really large amounts of less-than-legal contents. We don't want the site to get in trouble, do we?

(Whatever you do in PMs is your business though.)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »
I think an FAQ and Guideline Sub-Forum would be cool. That way we could share other FAQ's such as: Ways to spot bootlegs, How to be successful at thrift stores, Best ways to remove sticker residue...

Hell Yeah...If anyone's got good sticker-residue removing tips...I want in on it!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »
Maybe something for the FAQs:
please don't link to sites that host really large amounts of less-than-legal contents. We don't want the site to get in trouble, do we?

(Whatever you do in PMs is your business though.)
Really, this is common sense people. :P

tpugmire

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »
I think an FAQ and Guideline Sub-Forum would be cool. That way we could share other FAQ's such as: Ways to spot bootlegs, How to be successful at thrift stores, Best ways to remove sticker residue...

Hell Yeah...If anyone's got good sticker-residue removing tips...I want in on it!

Lighter fluid, works great on pretty much any adhesive.  I even use it to get tree sap off my hands.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

desocietas

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »

Heh, try this older thread; hope it's useful! http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,710.msg7728.html
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 08:29:22 pm »
Aren't 95% of FAQs common sense?

soera

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »

I keep hearing that this stuff is like sent from heaven! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Un-du-Adhesive-Remover-4-oz-bottle-/280798254334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160e154fe

atariboy

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 11:08:07 pm »

I keep hearing that this stuff is like sent from heaven! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Un-du-Adhesive-Remover-4-oz-bottle-/280798254334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160e154fe

I have a big bottle of the stuff, it works alright. I Personally think that Goo Gone works better. The Un-du leaves the sticker residue and you're using more fluid to get the residue off, which is kind off weird cuz it should have taken it off when sticker came off. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it takes the sticker off great but then you have to work at it to get the residue off.

Also I bought my 4oz bottle from the local dollar store.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:18:52 pm by atariboy »
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

scott

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 11:10:23 pm »
I bought a thingy of Goo Gone last weekend to clean up those Saturn and PS2 games I got, worked like a charm. I still wouldn't attempt to use it on a paper cover though.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 03:50:37 am »

>common sense
>internet

Pick one.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:10 am »
Thanks for the 'sticker-residue' replies & links.

I think I'll be trying out some of that Goo-Gone.
I've never had trouble removing any stickers...but the residue left underneath them is...just...vexing >:(

I *really* don't know why stores like Gamestop (*If* *They* *Must*), insist on so many god-damned stickers on each/every case...

I would think that it would be simple (& cheap) enough to simply put an additional, plastic sleeve on top-and- just put the stickers on *that* sleeve.

Anyone here ever worked at a Gaming store & know why they don't don't do this in a better/smarter way?

scott

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 10:35:35 am »

I've never had trouble removing any stickers...but the residue left underneath them is...just...vexing >:(

I *really* don't know why stores like Gamestop (*If* *They* *Must*), insist on so many god-damned stickers on each/every case...

I would think that it would be simple (& cheap) enough to simply put an additional, plastic sleeve on top-and- just put the stickers on *that* sleeve.

Anyone here ever worked at a Gaming store & know why they don't don't do this in a better/smarter way?

At one point, in 2007-8 (I think), GameStop made it company policy to put the stickers ON THE ARTWORK! Yeah, they'd pull the art out of the box, and put the label on the spine section. Every one of my friends that worked there at the time was horrified.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 11:07:32 am »

At one point, in 2007-8 (I think), GameStop made it company policy to put the stickers ON THE ARTWORK! Yeah, they'd pull the art out of the box, and put the label on the spine section. Every one of my friends that worked there at the time was horrified.

I'm not surprised...yet...I *really* do wonder what in the world could have influenced/impacted making such an, obviously asinine, decision...

I have this..."thing" with *Needing* to know many of the *"Why's"* that most people could care less about :D

scott

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 11:34:48 am »
It was prolly something stupid like. "If we put it on the artwork, scammers can't switch the cases and screw us on money"

desocietas

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 04:51:28 pm »
At one point, some of my Gamestops were making it *look* like they were putting it on the artwork, but the stickers still had their non-stick backing papers on, so it was as simple as sliding them out.  Bless those considerate employees.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas