Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 6.18.2024 thoughts?  (Read 468 times)

Nintendo Direct 6.18.2024 thoughts?
« on: June 17, 2024, 03:04:24 pm »
7 am pt | 10 am et

40 mins, no switch 2

Re: Nintendo Direct 6.18.2024 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 04:23:35 pm »
Don't think I'm expecting much, kinda the only thing off the top of my head that they have that I would want and could see showing up at the end of the Switch 1's lifespan would be to get the Twilight Princess/Wind Waker HD combo on Switch, it's one of the few things left over from the Wii U that needs to be brought to the Switch and it's good filler until the Switch 2.  Been aching to replay Twilight Princess.

Honestly, I'm kinda super behind on Switch stuff so I don't need much to happen lol I have Super Mario RPG and Metroid Prime sitting in the backlog, Super Mario Wonder is waiting in the wings if I want it, I got a lot to play till the Switch 2 happens.

I guess the hail mary dream thing would be anything involving Banjo-Kazooie (Give us the HD BK/BT games on Switch), or Diddy Kong Racing, or maybe Capcom does the Mega Man Legends collection, which is kinda my go to call out these days.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 10:37:42 pm »
It's probably going to be fairly underwhelming, and no, I'm not saying that just to be a pessimistic asshole. Even though Nintendo confirmed there was going to be no mention of the Switch 2 or whatever they end up calling it, I do believe we are less than a year away from at least it getting announced if not just being released. Because of this, i'm sure Nintendo has some really good stuff in development to help sell and promote that new console. Based on timing, my guess is a new mainline Mario game as well as Mario Kart 9, and maybe, possibly, Metroid Prime 4.

With that said, I think tomorrow's direct will have a few last minute AAA titles to drum up one last holiday season of hype before the Switch disappears into the sunset. My guess is a new mainline Pokemon game will get announced as well as a new Wario or Yoshi game, maybe Captain Toad 2. Essentially something first party and semi interesting, but nothing on the scale of a new Zelda, Mario, or Splatoon. And finally, I think we'll get at least one new remaster style game of an old release. I have no idea what this might be, but I'd flip out if it were either Ocarina of Time 3D or Majora's Mask 3D ported to the Switch. Even better if they bundled them together, although I'm certain they wouldn't need to in order to sell a ton of copies. Other than that, I expect a lot of indie games shown off, as well as some smaller releases from bigger studios, but nothing crazy since I'm sure they're all saving their best for the Switch 2 also.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 10:59:12 pm »
It's probably going to be fairly underwhelming, and no, I'm not saying that just to be a pessimistic asshole. Even though Nintendo confirmed there was going to be no mention of the Switch 2 or whatever they end up calling it, I do believe we are less than a year away from at least it getting announced if not just being released. Because of this, i'm sure Nintendo has some really good stuff in development to help sell and promote that new console. Based on timing, my guess is a new mainline Mario game as well as Mario Kart 9, and maybe, possibly, Metroid Prime 4.

With that said, I think tomorrow's direct will have a few last minute AAA titles to drum up one last holiday season of hype before the Switch disappears into the sunset. My guess is a new mainline Pokemon game will get announced as well as a new Wario or Yoshi game, maybe Captain Toad 2. Essentially something first party and semi interesting, but nothing on the scale of a new Zelda, Mario, or Splatoon. And finally, I think we'll get at least one new remaster style game of an old release. I have no idea what this might be, but I'd flip out if it were either Ocarina of Time 3D or Majora's Mask 3D ported to the Switch. Even better if they bundled them together, although I'm certain they wouldn't need to in order to sell a ton of copies. Other than that, I expect a lot of indie games shown off, as well as some smaller releases from bigger studios, but nothing crazy since I'm sure they're all saving their best for the Switch 2 also.

I'd love to get Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3DS with some improved visuals and additions in a nice bundle, that would be great.  I think those 2 and Link Between Worlds were the only couple games I got a 3DS for and then sold the handheld afterwards because I don't really care for handhelds lol

telekill

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 11:08:35 pm »
Switch is really lacking Zelda ports for me. Seriously. Ever since it was announced I expected a Twilight Princess port and still nothing. So I'm hoping for Twilight Princess HD. Other Zelda games would be welcome as well but Twilight Princess is the one I'm really wanting.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 10:46:46 am »
Brothership is unexpected, looks decent.

Looney Tunes sports looks more interesting than the Switch Sports basketball update.

A port of a 3DS game that was a port of a Wii game. How hard is it to release a new Donkey Kong game?

Free to play release The New Denpa Men.

Wow, a Mario Party with seven boards! I didn't think that was possible.

New Zelda game should probably have been saved for Switch 2.

Metroid Prime 4 looked pretty good. It's the right move to keep it on Switch but should also be a launch title of Switch 2.

telekill

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 10:59:10 am »
Maybe DKC Remake but otherwise nothing for me. I'm leaving towards just continuing to play the original. Maybe the NES collection?

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 11:09:29 am »
Maybe DKC Remake but otherwise nothing for me. I'm leaving towards just continuing to play the original. Maybe the NES collection?
That is not a remake. It barely looks like a remaster. It's the 3DS game which was the Wii game. Basically just upscaling the 3DS game.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 12:29:43 pm »
Well color me shocked by how good that Direct was!

I definitely didn't expect Nintendo to announce so many big titles during this direct, although I have a bit of a theory as to why they did, at least the big announcement of Metroid Prime 4. But more on that in a sec. I genuinely loved the DKC Returns, new Zelda game, and yes, Metroid Prime 4 announcement. Even some of the RPGs they showed off look fun, even though I'm not the biggest RPG fan. However, the announcement that literally had me grinning ear to ear with how unexpected it was and also how much of a fan I am of this super underrated franchise was the Marvel vs Capcom Collection announcement. I never expected these games to get a new re-release given the licensing headache it likely would be to have all those characters return together in a new game. Fortunately, Capcom pulled it off and we're getting every Capcom Vs game in one release + an arcade perfect port of the Punisher. I ADORE these games and am beyond hyped to pick this up even though I own all these games already, some of which I own multiple copies and versions of them :p.

As for my Metroid Prime 4 theory, I don't actually think Prime 4 is getting released on the Switch. At best, I can see it getting a duel release where it gets both a Switch and Switch 2 release, much like how Twilight Princess was released both on the GC and Wii when that game came out as a Wii launch title. I think Prime is primarily being made for the Switch 2, and I think the demo they showed was being rendered from a Switch 2. The framerate, animations, and overall visual fidelity just looked too good for the Switch. But again, it might get a Switch version too. I guess we'll see.

Thank goodness for a solid Direct after what was overall a very disappointing showing of games from Summer Game Fest as well as Sony's last State of Play. If the rumors are true and the Switch 2 is still primarily using physical games, you can count me in as being a Nintendo fanboy next gen.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 01:02:43 pm »
I wish I could be excited for a new Zelda game, but using the Link's Awakening art style sucks something fierce.  Gameplay is also a huge mixed bag to me.  Pretty disappointing which is not something I often say with Zelda. 

Not often a Direct is a complete miss for me, but I wasn't expecting much at this direct anyways, though technically it had more new games announced than I thought.  Metroid Prime 4 was the one okay thing, but I was never hyped for it.  I still haven't beat Metroid Prime remastered, though I'll keep an eye out for it next year.

*EDIT*
The MvC collection is one thing I missed, and that's cool to see.  Not super exciting personally, but neat. Seeing The Punisher there makes me hope we'll see Capcom get Alien vs Predator out on something normal eventually.  I'll probably grab this just to support it and it'll be fun to fool around with as I'm not a huge hardcore fighter player, though not sure if I'll get it on Switch or not.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 03:40:04 pm by kamikazekeeg »

alligo

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 02:02:40 pm »
Interested by the new Mario&Luigi, DQ Remake and maybe AA.

Porting DK Returns again is shameful, the game has already been released on several consoles...
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 03:45:49 pm »
As for my Metroid Prime 4 theory, I don't actually think Prime 4 is getting released on the Switch. At best, I can see it getting a duel release where it gets both a Switch and Switch 2 release, much like how Twilight Princess was released both on the GC and Wii when that game came out as a Wii launch title. I think Prime is primarily being made for the Switch 2, and I think the demo they showed was being rendered from a Switch 2. The framerate, animations, and overall visual fidelity just looked too good for the Switch. But again, it might get a Switch version too. I guess we'll see.
It's definitely getting a Switch release or else it wouldn't have been here. It is very likely it will be a dual release though which they also did for Breath of the Wild.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 05:57:10 pm »
Porting DK Returns again is shameful, the game has already been released on several consoles...

It was only on the Wii and 3DS.  Tropical Freeze was on Wii U an Switch.

It's also something I'm pretty stoked to be able to play without motion controls (hopefully).

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 06:04:45 pm »
Mario & Luigi: Brothership: I've never played a game in the Mario & Luigi series, but this looks like a lot of fun. The mix of RPG, platforming, and action segments seem well-balanced.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake: Again, Dragon Quest is another franchise I've never played. Part of me is interested, but I'm beginning to foster the opinion that studios should either focus their efforts on bringing legacy content to modern platforms like what the newly-announced Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is doing, or simply move forward with original titles. The select Dragon Quest title in its original form is already a part of a I-III compilation for Switch, so this project comes across as time lost toward something new.

Super Mario Party Jamboree: This looks to be one of the better Mario Party entries in a long time, but it's seldom that I'm with a group who are wanting to play games. I'm not interested in its advertised online modes.

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom: After years of fans hoping for a game with Zelda as the hero, it's not long off. While I enjoyed the art direction it lifts from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening the first time it was used, I'm of the opinion that it looks too similar. I'm wondering if this is a new era of cartoon-ish looks to replace Toon Link. As far as its gameplay elements, they seem fun, but I'm questioning Nintendo's decision to, once again, introduce sandbox creativity. Straightforward action-adventure gameplay seems like it's been forgotten for some time.

Just Dance 2025 Edition: I've never really noticed it until now, but I'd say it's fair to find the character art for the series in its more recent entries to be creepy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 09:08:09 am by dhaabi »

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 09:40:02 pm »
I know they probably did it for convenience sake, all the work having already been done with Link's Awakening to have a top down game on Switch, so it would be quicker and cheaper to go with that style, but with Echoes of Wisdom being another continuation of A Link to the Past, it could've had the art style of the previous A Link to the Past continuation, A Link Between Worlds.  I don't love that art style, but I like it a lot more than the Link's Awakening style.