Author Topic: Where do you buy your retro games from these days?  (Read 980 times)

Where do you buy your retro games from these days?
« on: August 13, 2024, 02:25:25 pm »
I've been trying to finish off some of my game collections, but it feels like my choices are either more limited than ever before or just in general more scattered.

For a long time ebay was my go-to but ever since they allowed free listings, it seems like all I ever find are the same overpriced games from the same sellers relisting for years on end, sometimes even putting the price gradually higher for some reason. Facebook marketplace I've only been lucky with once, it's otherwise the same problem - people asking a hundred for a game that's only worth fifty according to sales reports. Vinted, same problem.
Car boot / garage sales used to be a great place to find cheap games, but my local ones have changed the way they operate so unless you're also selling there's no point in even trying because buyers have to wait an hour for sellers to 'set up' (but half of the sellers can be seen browsing other sellers' stalls before that of course).

Is it just a case of hoping for the best these days?

Re: Where do you buy your retro games from these days?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 07:44:15 pm »
Most of my collection is stuff I found in the wild. Unfortunately there are only stores that sell retro games in my area, one is great and I visit every other week or so, the other sucks (The sell beat up games at full pricecharting price). I'll stop by there once every couple months just too check for games on my wishlist.

Like I said, most of my collection is "wild" finds. I have made a fair number of purchases on Amazon over the years, but that's it for online. No FB marketplace (I have looked there, but usually overpriced junk), mercari, vinted, and my biggest shocker...not a single ebay purchase :D

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 11:18:16 pm »
First off, I rarely buy retro games these days. I either own or have owned nearly every retro game I've ever had any interest in. As for the ones I'm still semi-after, they're either too expensive for what the game is, or I just don't care enough to track down a copy. Also, flash carts, ODEs and emulation has become so good I almost wonder what the point is outside of physical ownership or nostalgia. However, with all that said, I do still occasionally buy retro games and here are the places I pick them up from in order of frequency.

1. Facebook Collector's meetups and swap meets: I partially run a local gaming group with around 2000 members and we have quarterly swap meets where we all meet at a park or large venue like someone's business, and all buy, sell, and trade with one another. I prefer to buy retro games (and modern games) at these venues since you're most likely to get a good deal from a local collector or reseller than you are someone who has to worry about paying rent or keeping the lights on in their business. You also don't lack the interpersonal connection like you do in online marketplaces or ebay. I used to buy a ton of stuff from these swap meets back in the day, but now I primarily wear the hat of seller at them. I still buy a few things every swap meet, some retro, some modern.

2. Ebay: Sometimes I don't want to wait to come across something in the wild or at a swap meet, so I just save myself the hassle and buy it from an ebay seller. I might be paying slightly more for a game or whatever than had I waited, but the way I see it, the convenience of being able to get it right then and there makes up for the months or years it would take me to find it for a good deal elsewhere. I typically only do this on stuff I really, really want.

3. Independent Game Stores
: I treat this option the same as I do Ebay; if its something I'm actively looking for and an independent game store happens to have it, I'll buy it assuming the price is reasonable. The main reason this ranks below Ebay is because there aren't nearly as many stores as there used to be, the stores that remain are typically overpriced, and it's fairly uncommon to have any of the stuff I'm still after.

4. "The Wild": This is pretty much any place where you'd traditionally find a good deal, so like thrift stores, garage sales, pawn shops, or flea markets. I've more or less completely given up on these places since they all know what they got, or don't, and just significantly overprice it because they assume old = valuable. This used to be my primary means of collecting old games years ago, but that time ended around 6 or 7 years ago. I do occasionally look for games in places like this, but it's 95% when I'm there for some other reason (movies, tools, whatever). I rarely ever go out game hunting for the sake of looking just for gaming deals since there just aren't that many to be found anymore, and they are almost guaranteed not to have the stuff I'm still after.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 07:49:49 am »
I don't really buy many games for me anymore but I generally use eStarland.com, eBay or at one of the local shops... though the local shop inventory never seems to have what I'm looking for at the time.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024, 09:40:38 am »
Not currently buying games, but before it was either from thrift stores or online Japan proxies.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024, 12:14:32 pm »
1.) Trading sites from my own country.
2.) There is a retro/vintage market every month. Not specifically vintage electronics and games, but you can always find something.
3.) Local brick and mortar stores.
4.) Ebay from within the EU.
5.) Ebay from outside the EU.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 03:15:53 am »
I have two main sources for retro games:

1. is a local buy/rebuy shop for videogames founded in 1990. This shop is an institution when it comes to retro games in my area. I bought Donkey Kong Country 2 there ... on it's release day!  8) Horst, the owner of the shop, is my 1st go-to when it comes to games for my collection. His prices are always slightly below internet and the money he pays for games you sell there are reasonable. I tried many alternatives but always find myself coming back to this shop!  8)

2. Annualy I visit a RetroGamesCon in Heidelberg, Germany - prices are  :-X , but I found many rare games there, especially sealed PS1 RPG's.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

kashell

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 09:58:12 am »
I rarely buy those anymore. I'm pretty sure I have every retro game I've ever wanted or had an interest in. There might be a few outliers that I can't think of but, yeah. Retro games aren't really my vibe these days. I'm still trying to off load some.

I used to go to local mom n' pop game stores and media stores. However, since prices on most things skyrocketed, I've stopped going there with the intent to buy something that's not of this generation.

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2024, 01:38:04 pm »
I seldom buy older games these days, although that's not a decision based on lack of interest. My backlog is lengthy, so I'm focusing on playing what I have. When I do buy games, I've mostly limited myself to purchase new ones which are only available online so I'm not barred from having to buy them later on for higher prices. On rare occasion, I buy older games with the intention of playing them soon through eBay, such as recently with PlayStation games. The third-party market for games has been awful for some time, which has led me to not feel pressured to buy everything I'm wanting in a hurry. If I'm priced out from buying certain items, then so be it.

I don't really buy many games for me anymore but I generally use eStarland.com

For around a decade or so, I've been to eStarland's brick and mortar store location around a dozen times, always with at least one other person when visiting. Personally, I've never found the appeal to how they organize and present their stock. It's always a hassle to the customer to gather price information about any item, and it's very much like a shoppable warehouse. Perhaps their online presence is better, but I've never utilized it since it comes across as bad for anyone curious about the quality of the specific item they're to receive. I do know others who have made online purchased through their site, though, and they feel satisfied.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 01:40:28 pm by dhaabi »

conduit

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2024, 01:59:26 pm »
My two main haunts are Ebay and Buyee. The latter being a Japanese proxy service to purchase games on Yahoo! Japan auctions. If Ebay doesn't have what I'm looking for Buyee often does, although shipping cost on Buyee tend to be higher. Good deals on both sites do happen seldomly and I'll sometimes swoop in and pick up a game for cheap. If local shops were nearby I'd opt for those every time, but I live in a rural area that has nothing to facilitate game collecting or gaming in general.

I'm fine with limiting myself to one or two games per month, sometimes a little more if I can afford it. I strictly collect CIB games and put more emphasis on the quality of my collection versus the quantity of it.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2024, 11:33:45 pm »
Local FB Collector Groups, Regional FB groups, ebay, Game Conventions, local game stores- so many great options in the PNW!

empovyle

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2024, 08:07:08 pm »
I pretty much only buy from eBay Auctions these days. Never had good luck with FB Marketplace or any other local groups like that, and my local game shop has reached the same or higher average Buy it Now price levels on retro games that you'd find on eBay, so it's becoming increasingly rarer and rarer to find a truly great deal there. Lovely place though, it's fun to just walk around and browse their stock. There used to be a few local pawn shops with a decent stock of games but they've closed down in the last few years. Guess their "$4 for any game on the shelf" deal wasn't good enough to keep them afloat in the post-pandemic economy, sadly. It's worth mentioning that I don't buy too many games anymore; the last time I bought a used game was in June with a second copy of Battlefield 3 for co-op since the online mode is shutting down soon, and before that, my last game purchase was in November.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 08:12:20 pm by empovyle »

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2024, 04:28:29 am »
I rarely buy those things anymore. But sometimes I still buy games that I'm interested in on local FBs and on Ebay.