Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1657175 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8955 on: December 26, 2015, 09:01:10 am »
How was everyone's Christmas?

List LooT:
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8956 on: December 26, 2015, 09:36:07 am »
Good, I enjoyed watching my nephew freak out over his gifts and toys

Now todays my birthday, a victory would be nice - Ace Combat 04 quote :D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #8957 on: December 26, 2015, 09:56:22 am »
Happy birthday, FP!!!

List LooT:

I'm so glad you're here! Life is better when you're around.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8958 on: December 26, 2015, 10:37:07 am »
Happy birthday, FP!!!

List LooT:

I'm so glad you're here! Life is better when you're around.

Thanks!

soera

« Reply #8959 on: December 26, 2015, 06:50:28 pm »
I like it when you are here too!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8960 on: December 26, 2015, 06:55:22 pm »
how is everyone recovering from Christmas? ready for new years? :D

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #8961 on: December 27, 2015, 12:45:10 am »
Happy birthday fp! 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8962 on: December 27, 2015, 06:15:16 am »
I like it when you are here too!

Awwwwww.

I'm getting the warm fuzzies!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8963 on: December 27, 2015, 10:38:24 am »

1049-2600-8730

Warmsignal

« Reply #8964 on: December 27, 2015, 07:59:36 pm »
This is kinda relevant to something that someone else said here earlier, I believe that you really need to at some point give up on relationships with family who it's just not possible to have a healthy relationship with. A toxic relationship is toxic, regardless if it is your own flesh and blood.

I dealt with a lot of BS over the years from my brother, he bullied and tormented me to no end when I was a kid. 25 years of knowing him, and not much has really changed. After reaching a boiling point years ago, I quit speaking to him. I gave him another shot eventually, and it's been coming to head for a long time again, and tonight it reached that point yet again. It seems that if I stand up for myself and don't let him walk all over me and disrespect me, then he will blow up into a fit of rage.

He was screaming and cursing at everyone today, his wife, his kid (who has special needs), at the game, and at me. I finally said that I'd had enough of it when we were playing a co-op game while constantly being yelled and berated by him, so he throws the controller down, tells me he'll never play again, never come to his house again, etc, etc. So I basically said fine, have a nice life. Then he tells everyone that I "just went crazy". So typical. I'm really not that upset about it. I hope that it's for good this time. What is joy is there in having someone around who can make playing a video game a miserable experience? Completely lacking in self-awareness enough to know when he's being a real jerk to everyone. The day after Xmas and already back to disrespecting and demeaning everyone. I know you're supposed to just bite your tongue and let it slide time after time. But I've put up with this my whole life pretty much, and I done with it. I won't put up with it anymore just because we share the same parents and that's what I'm supposed to do.

So I just have to say... nobody should feel bad about "divorcing" your family members, if need be. Sometimes it's the healthiest thing you can do, and you shouldn't guilt yourself over whatever happens, just because of the notion that family is more important than your differences. Sometimes you have to get out of that situation, and get away from people who cause you a lot of pain.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:08:06 pm by Warmsignal »

gf78

« Reply #8965 on: December 27, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »
This is kinda relevant to something that someone else said here earlier, I believe that you really need to at some point give up on relationships with family who it's just not possible to have a healthy relationship with. A toxic relationship is toxic, regardless if it is your own flesh and blood.

I dealt with a lot of BS over the years from my brother, he bullied and tormented me to no end when I was a kid. 25 years of knowing him, and not much has really changed. After reaching a boiling point years ago, I quit speaking to him. I gave him another shot eventually, and it's been coming to head for a long time again, and tonight it reached that point yet again. It seems that if I stand up for myself and don't let him walk all over me and disrespect me, then he will blow up into a fit of rage.

He was screaming and cursing at everyone today, his wife, his kid (who has special needs), at the game, and at me. I finally said that I'd had enough of it when we were playing a co-op game while constantly being yelled and berated by him, so he throws the controller down, tells me he'll never play again, never come to his house again, etc, etc. So I basically said fine, have a nice life. Then he tells everyone that I "just went crazy". So typical. I'm really not that upset about it. I hope that it's for good this time. What is joy is there in having someone around who can make playing a video game a miserable experience? Completely lacking in self-awareness enough to know when he's being a real jerk to everyone. The day after Xmas and already back to disrespecting and demeaning everyone. I know you're supposed to just bite your tongue and let it slide time after time. But I've put up with this my whole life pretty much, and I done with it. I won't put up with it anymore just because we share the same parents and that's what I'm supposed to do.

So I just have to say... nobody should feel bad about "divorcing" your family members, if need be. Sometimes it's the healthiest thing you can do, and you shouldn't guilt yourself over whatever happens, just because of the notion that family is more important than your differences. Sometimes you have to get out of that situation, and get away from people who cause you a lot of pain.

It sucks when family is like that. Better to cut it off then deal with that shit.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

karyann

« Reply #8966 on: December 28, 2015, 09:06:28 am »
Like you said, a toxic relationship is toxic no matter who the other is. "biting your tongue" should definitely not be the "only accepted behavior". I think you did well! Nobody is worthy enough for anyone to lose sanity over :)  (because if they were worthy, you wouldn't be losing your sanity in the first place)

kashell

« Reply #8967 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:31 am »
That's a real shame that you had to go through that, but it sounds like you have the foresight to realize that you're doing the best thing for you. If he is going to act like a petulant child and -still- refuses to act like an adult, then you are doing the right thing for you and your happiness. Still, I hate that you have to go through that with your brother. Some of my best gaming memories are playing couch-op with my two brothers.

One more thing: I don't know about the rule of having to bite your tongue and letting things slide. If something upsets you, by all means you should say something.

gf78

« Reply #8968 on: December 28, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
Around June last year, my wife had a falling-out with her sister and mom.  It lasted all the way to just before Christmas when my wife decided that she had to let it go, they were her family and it wasn't healthy for them or the children who are cousins.  Nobody really said sorry for anything and things just kind of went back to a semblance of normal.  For awhile. 

Cut to May this year (2015), and our nephew (my wife's sister's son) who has Asperger Syndrome (a form of autism), ran away from home and moved out on his own, taking with him a chunk of money from a court settlement.  At this point, we didn't have much to do with him and his great grandmother and great uncle (my wife's grandmother and uncle) helped get him settled, get an apartment, a job, etc.  Because of the circumstances of his upbringing and his issues, he was always on heavy meds.  Too much in my mind, but who am I to say anything?  He actually became meaner and meaner over the years to the point where he would physically harm his mom, stepfather and grandmother.  When he left, he told them if he ever gets his hands on a gun he would kill them all.  His mother, step-father and grandmother washed their hands of him and told him he was dead to them.

So naturally, as these people are all my F'd up family through marriage, I don't want anything bad to happen.  So I start going over to my nephew's house to check on him, see what frame of mind he is in, discourage him from trying to purchase a firearm...stuff like that.  Well while momma doesn't want anything to do with her boy, she's somehow managed to log into his online banking and monitor what he's spending money on.  We don't really hear anything from my wife's sister and mom, but something seems off.  You can tell when something is off.  I thought it was just resentment because I started going to check on the boy and make sure he wasn't an accident waiting to happen.  But boy...it was worse.

Through his mother's spying, she saw that he made a debit at the mall in Chesterfield which is about 75 miles away and knew I had to have been the one to take him.  I come home from work, a normal day or so I thought.  I ask my wife how things are going and she says "Well, World War III has fucking started."  So I start looking at her texts and it's full of her mom accusing us-and me more specifically-of using our nephew for his money.  To make a long story short, it's bullshit and it's categorically false.

They saw that he would spend $50 (for example) at Pizza Hut, or $60 at Pasta House, etc.  So I guess they just assumed he was buying us dinner all the time.  The fact of the matter is the boy never had money, had no idea of the value of money and he was kept like a caveman or retard his entire childhood and teen years.  He was doped up and told to go away anytime he wanted to talk, ask a question...anything.  So he would call a place that delivers (since he only has a scooter and no license or car) and make a big ass order.  So I guess those food orders coupled with me taking him to the mall with me to a video game store was enough "information" for them to concoct a story in their heads how we were leaching off of him and whatever else they thought.

My wife went ballistic on her mom and I also texted her, though mine were pretty civil.  She refused to answer back when confronted with the facts and then even went so far as to accuse us of getting money from him for our trip to Florida.  The money for which was used from my wife's accident settlement at work.  But you get the idea.  People who are going to think like that and come up with conspiracy theories wont' listen to the truth if you smashed their face with it. 

Since that happened back around late June, they didn't call, text, write, nothing.  Our two girls who are their nieces and granddaughters would try to call or text them.  No answer.  So my wife said screw them.  Well, here comes the day after Christmas and she gets a four page scathing text from her sister saying how she hasn't done shit, doesn't know what our problem is, how my wife is changed and not for the better.  Just this list of bullshit. 

So yeah, I know what you are talking about warmsignal.  Even though it hurts or you might think you are doing the wrong thing because they are family, you have to cut that toxic crap out of your life. 

And about my nephew, he stopped taking his meds shortly after leaving home.  He's not angry anymore.  He's happy.  He laughs, jokes, has fun and everyone in the apartment complex likes him.  He's goofy.  The way he was raised, he never learned to socially interact with other people and so he says and does things that while not outrageous, just aren't quite right.  I have to tell him to keep it down when we are out in public because he talks loudly and says things that could possibly offend someone.  He's getting better.  He also keeps his apartment clean unlike his slovenly upbringing where his mother and grandmother are basically hoarders that keep buying and just piling shit up all around their houses. 

I'm not going to be able to undue the damage of his upbringing in six months.  But he's much better than he was when he left home and I hope to continue to help him better himself and learn to live out among society despite his mental health issues.

And if anyone is interested, I posted a funny ass video of him trying to demonstrate the use of nunchucks to me and my youngest daughter.  You can see the video on YouTube under "nunchuck nitwit."  It's pretty hilarious. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:36:39 pm by gf78 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8969 on: December 28, 2015, 02:07:28 pm »

I totally know what you're going through, and I completely know the inner-struggle of deciding if it's okay to cut-off that family member.

In my case, it was my mother. After a couple years of horrible behavior from her due to a drug problem (which she didn't have growing up), I finally gave up. It was just too much. Always drama of some sort going on because of the people she chose to surround her with. After it dragging my own family down for long enough, I decided enough is enough. But it was a very hard process just because I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing or not.

I'm glad I did, now. A lot less stress and drama for my own family. The only thing that sucks, is that I don't see my younger brother as much as I used to (he's disabled and lives with my mom, which is a whole other issue on his own because he really shouldn't be, but the system sucks and won't help).

So I feel for you, and I have to agree that sometimes, even if it is immediate family, that cutting bad people out of your life is the healthiest thing for you and those around you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:49:47 pm by burningdoom »