Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1596885 times)

rayne315

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11925 on: August 18, 2016, 07:20:57 pm »
Wow, I have no problem with Goodwill other than I never find much. Their games are always $1.99 if you're lucky enough to be there first. I will agree that it doesn't make sense to run a Goodwill store like it's a retail shop. I thought the point was to resell goods a reasonable price for the charity. Granted I know that games are, on average worth more than a couple dollars, but they shouldn't run it like a game store. I keep hearing about this, but have never personally seen it. Doesn't sound very ethical for a charity.

have you gone onto their website? they auction off everything high value including most games. that's why you rarely see any good games in the stores themselves.

EDIT: whoops just noticed it the goodwill auction site was already mentioned...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:23:09 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

maximo310

« Reply #11926 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
^Don't forget about the ebay and amazon listings for some Goodwill chapters.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11927 on: August 18, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »
^Don't forget about the ebay and amazon listings for some Goodwill chapters.

The more I think about it, the more wrong it seems that Goodwill would do this. Pretty much everything else that they sell in their stores is very thrifty. They never sell anything donated for the full retail value. They really shouldn't be doing that. I think I bought a CD from Goodwill on eBay once, like $8 and something. Usually, in store their CDs are $1.99. Something tells me there are not good intentions behind this sort of targeted gouging on certain items.

« Reply #11928 on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:24 am »
And then the few goodwill subsidiary stores that exist solely as a video game store.  I can't recall the name or the location. 

If you haven't heard about it, it is literally a video game store, run by Goodwill, with over retail prices like you would expect from a bad game store.

maximo310

« Reply #11929 on: August 19, 2016, 11:28:50 am »
It's called the GRID, and I think it's in Charlotte, NC. It was a conversion of one of their Computer Works stores, and is it mostly notable for the amount of press it got when it opened.

But I doubt you'd ever catch them slip on prices, since most of the stuff there from what I've seen is pretty overpriced and not likely to be in great condition.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11930 on: August 20, 2016, 09:07:46 pm »
If you have some crappy sports carts taking up space, and the carts are thrashed, should you just throw them in the garbage? Normally, I would never trash a working video game. But when it comes to really beat up sports games (the cartridges are warped and faded), what's the point? Will the world really miss a copy of Madden 92?

« Reply #11931 on: August 21, 2016, 10:36:22 am »
Now that i've got my scanner back i'm currently doing a big check up of my collection, scanning everything is a bit boring (especially since i've an old Epson who takes ~20 seconds to scan each cover) but it is still interesting to check some things that i almost never took the time to see like manuals or back covers, especially when they have errors like that FR/NL platinum version of Burnout where they used a font that don't accept any special characters (like the è, à or even a simple ') and leave a blank space for each of them: "Des crashes spectaculaires et ultra réalistes que vous n’êtes pas près d'oublier !", it was pretty hard to resist filling the blanks when i wrote it for the box text  ;)

Also i have found a flyer in my Ace Combat: Distant Thunder (aka Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies) for the Olympus Eye-Trek FMD and i never heard about those before, do anyone know them and if so what do you think of them ? i'm not interested in buying one but between the Virtual Boy in 1995 and the Occulus Rift in 2012 i didn't heard of any others headset (to be honest i wasn't really interested) and it would be nice to know if  that one from 2001 was any good (i couldn't find any review in french, only old articles saying that it was overpriced and it may cause motion sickness).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11932 on: August 22, 2016, 03:06:02 pm »
Annnnnnndddddd......... 

I'm done working this week. 
I just finished a big project that I've been working on for a month.  I'm off tomorrow.  Then, it's silly continuing ed for the last 3 days.  Life is good.  8)

pacpix

« Reply #11933 on: August 23, 2016, 02:03:46 am »
I've been hanging around here for five years now  :o

I lurk a lot more than I post these days due to not gaming or collecting much currently, but I just wanted to say thank you to the community for continuing to be great over the years.  There is a reason vgcollect.com/forum is still the first website that I visit whenever I turn on my computer.  :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

desocietas

« Reply #11934 on: August 23, 2016, 02:08:35 am »

I lurk a lot more than I post these days due to not gaming or collecting much currently, but I just wanted to say thank you to the community for continuing to be great over the years.  There is a reason vgcollect.com/forum is still the first website that I visit whenever I turn on my computer.  :)

Aw, you should know that you are one of the reasons that the site is a great one!

Happy anniversary! My fifth anniversary passed already... Time flies! :O
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #11935 on: August 23, 2016, 03:06:52 am »

Aw, you should know that you are one of the reasons that the site is a great one!

We need to get @scott to make us some 5 year badges  :P
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #11936 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:08 am »
I made a some.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:07:14 pm by ignition365 »

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11937 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:22 am »

Happy 5 years! Nice new avatar! Didn't notice the change until now. Playing through RH lately? I'm about halfway through I think but sadly I only play it during trips. Might need to start playing before bed or something and get through it!

kashell

« Reply #11938 on: August 23, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
You absolutely should. Radiant Historia is such a fun game.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11939 on: August 23, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »
Downloaded WWE 2k16 for free off xbox live, mind you, last wrestling game i owned and played was No Mercy on n64

Man this game is complicated and hard. The submission mini game is total bs, and the reversal system is annoying.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730