Author Topic: The Wii U is a failure?  (Read 17657 times)

sin2beta

Re: The Wii U is a failure?
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2014, 09:44:20 pm »
I just spent a good amount of time reading this post.  Very interesting. 

The only thing I will say is that I do not like the Xbox One but I will not be so negative on every post about all the down falls of it.  I'm sure its like everything.  There is a good and a bad to the system. 

Me personally, I have enjoyed my Wii U for the most part especially the game "Zombie U".  In my opinion, it's a fantastic game!  and I am looking forward to Mario Kart 8 that I have on pre-order.    :D

With everything I've said, the WiiU is still the most likely nextgen console purchase for me. It may not sell a lot, but it looks fun.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:04 pm »

The only thing I will say is that I do not like the Xbox One but I will not be so negative on every post about all the down falls of it.  I'm sure its like everything.  There is a good and a bad to the system. 

Me personally, I have enjoyed my Wii U for the most part especially the game "Zombie U".  In my opinion, it's a fantastic game!  and I am looking forward to Mario Kart 8 that I have on pre-order.    :D

With everything I've said, the WiiU is still the most likely nextgen console purchase for me. It may not sell a lot, but it looks fun.

It is man.  It's hard for me to imagine the Sega Guru getting into the land of the Nintendo wii u tho'   ;)  lol.  But you will enjoy it.  And who knows?!  We may get our Shenmue 3 for the Wii U!!!!   Okay I'll drop the Shenmue thought lol   :)

dreama1

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2014, 11:46:15 pm »

It is man.  It's hard for me to imagine the Sega Guru getting into the land of the Nintendo wii u tho'   ;)  lol.  But you will enjoy it.  And who knows?!  We may get our Shenmue 3 for the Wii U!!!!   Okay I'll drop the Shenmue thought lol   :)
Why? Sega is like nintendo's rentboy these days, "there working very close" quote according to sega. Just throw money at them like bayonetta 2, and job done. Really wish nintendo would start fighting back against sony, and microsoft instead of this  pussy gandhi approach to things as of recent when people are leaving in the dozens to the playstation 4, and they don't even see it, when did they stop wanting to be top dog. I think hiroshi yamauchi was a no bullshit person, and someone who had balls to get the job done for nintendo in my opinion anyways.

sin2beta

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:48 pm »

I started off as a Nintendo guy. I wouldn't mind having a sweet NES/SNES/Game Boy/Virtual Boy/Nintendo Power collection. Or pick up a system and a flashcart. I mainly just want to play them. Collecting is separate from playing in my opinion. Helps on space too. I'd actually rather have a complete Nintendo Power set and flashcarts to be honest.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:57 am »
I'd say the biggest problem is that the Wii U lacks games that appeal to hardcore gamers. Sure there are a few good titles but most of the stuff that's out is the same regurgitated crap that Nintendo has been recycling for the past two decades.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2014, 02:00:47 pm »
If Nintendo dropped its franchises, and focused on so-called hardcore games like some of you guys are saying, then they wouldn't be Nintendo at all, they would just be another Xbox or PlayStation.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:26:03 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »
If Nintendo dropped its, franchises and focused on so-called hardcore games like some of you guys are saying, then they wouldnt be Nintendo at all, they would just be another Xbox or PlayStation.

Yeah if Nintendo didn't have its franchises on the system, I wouldn't have much of a reason to buy a Nintendo console lol A third party lineup to bolster the system is needed, but it isn't generally what I always want.

Also, you know it isn't very good when the Wii U is underselling even the Gamecube :\
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/04/wii-u-gamecube-sales-compared/

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:50 pm »
Yeah, in addition to would be great. I could just buy a Nintendo system and be done. But I definetly dont want to see Nintendo franchises go.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:30 pm »
If Nintendo dropped its, franchises and focused on so-called hardcore games like some of you guys are saying, then they wouldnt be Nintendo at all, they would just be another Xbox or PlayStation.

Yeah if Nintendo didn't have its franchises on the system, I wouldn't have much of a reason to buy a Nintendo console lol A third party lineup to bolster the system is needed, but it isn't generally what I always want.

Also, you know it isn't very good when the Wii U is underselling even the Gamecube :\

Nintendo's biggest blessing and curse every generation has been the fact that they make their own AAA titles. As a 3rd party developer it's easy to feel like anything you are doing is taking a back seat to them.

For many of the consoles they build they have one or more games specifically in mind from the start. The console is then built around what those games need to become reality. After that the hope is that other 3rd party developers will get inspired and catch the vision. But make no mistake Nintendo is cranking out the console to sell their own games first.

I remember reading a Nintendo Power where Nintendo talked about wanting the SNES console to be powerful enough to let Mario ride a dinosaur. Wii came to be because Nintendo wanted to make Wii Sports.

I think one of the reasons the SNES CD never became a reality was because Nintendo couldn't figure out what to do with it. I could be way wrong but think about it... what epic 1st party launch title did you ever hear announced for the SNES CD?

Now all this said. These are the  best games I have played prior to the latest generation that were either only available on a Nintendo console OR were only enjoyable to me because of something specific to their release on the Nintendo console (for example Wii controls).

Super Mario Galaxy - Wii (shaddap haters)
Resident Evil 4 - Wii
Legend of Zelda the Windwaker - GC
Metriod Prime Trilogy - Wii
Metriod Prime 1 - GC
Metriod Prime 2 - GC
Resident Evil 0 - GC
Resident Evil 1 - GC
Bully - Wii
Madden 09 - Wii
Punch Out - Wii
Tiger Woods 12 - Wii
Every Trauma Center made - Wii
Raving Rabbids - Wii

I bought Metriod Prime 1 and 2 for GameCube and 3 for the Wii. I liked the Wii controls so much I purchased Metriod Trilogy just so I could replay the first 2 games with Wii controls!

Tiger Woods 12 (the best version released for the Wii). Never had interest in golf games until I played TW on the Wii. Madden 09... No interest in football games until I played it on the wii.

Capcom's Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition for PS3 beats Resident Evil 4 Wii as my favorite Resident Evil game of all time only because the PS Move control scheme was blatantly ripped off from the Wii edition. It was only after I learned that (and after it was made free to PS Plus Subscribers) that I picked it up. I played the non-move enabled demo and hated the controls so much that I wrote it off in spite of the amazing graphics.

My point being that when Nintendo and 3rd parties both see the potential of the console pretty awesome stuff results. The problem is treading uncharted territory is a risky proposition if all you care about is lining the bank vault in another layer of Benjamins.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:14:48 pm by dashv »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »
I guess a shorter way to say what I said above would be this.

I have fewer Nintendo games than I do games for any other console.

But I have more Nintendo consoles than any other platform.

A majority of my favorite games are either made by Nintendo or are only available in the form I enjoy most on a Nintendo system.

dreama1

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:49 am »

Nintendo's biggest blessing and curse every generation has been the fact that they make their own AAA titles. As a 3rd party developer it's easy to feel like anything you are doing is taking a back seat to them.

For many of the consoles they build they have one or more games specifically in mind from the start. The console is then built around what those games need to become reality. After that the hope is that other 3rd party developers will get inspired and catch the vision. But make no mistake Nintendo is cranking out the console to sell their own games first.

I remember reading a Nintendo Power where Nintendo talked about wanting the SNES console to be powerful enough to let Mario ride a dinosaur. Wii came to be because Nintendo wanted to make Wii Sports.

I think one of the reasons the SNES CD never became a reality was because Nintendo couldn't figure out what to do with it. I could be way wrong but think about it... what epic 1st party launch title did you ever hear announced for the SNES CD?

Now all this said. These are the  best games I have played prior to the latest generation that were either only available on a Nintendo console OR were only enjoyable to me because of something specific to their release on the Nintendo console (for example Wii controls).

Super Mario Galaxy - Wii (shaddap haters)
Resident Evil 4 - Wii
Legend of Zelda the Windwaker - GC
Metriod Prime Trilogy - Wii
Metriod Prime 1 - GC
Metriod Prime 2 - GC
Resident Evil 0 - GC
Resident Evil 1 - GC
Bully - Wii
Madden 09 - Wii
Punch Out - Wii
Tiger Woods 12 - Wii
Every Trauma Center made - Wii
Raving Rabbids - Wii

I bought Metriod Prime 1 and 2 for GameCube and 3 for the Wii. I liked the Wii controls so much I purchased Metriod Trilogy just so I could replay the first 2 games with Wii controls!

Tiger Woods 12 (the best version released for the Wii). Never had interest in golf games until I played TW on the Wii. Madden 09... No interest in football games until I played it on the wii.

Capcom's Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition for PS3 beats Resident Evil 4 Wii as my favorite Resident Evil game of all time only because the PS Move control scheme was blatantly ripped off from the Wii edition. It was only after I learned that (and after it was made free to PS Plus Subscribers) that I picked it up. I played the non-move enabled demo and hated the controls so much that I wrote it off in spite of the amazing graphics.

My point being that when Nintendo and 3rd parties both see the potential of the console pretty awesome stuff results. The problem is treading uncharted territory is a risky proposition if all you care about is lining the bank vault in another layer of Benjamins.
I don't that was the reason, they dropped the cd add on over royalities. They made the N64DD afterall.

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:56 pm »
I a huge fanboy and love the console although there are a few shortcomings.

I've said it before but the Virtual Console selection is pathetic. It seems to me it should have been relatively easy to get the games they had already prepared on the Wii Virtual Console a few years ago because a lot of the leg-work had already been done. Weird that they're only doing NES, SNES and GBA games so far. No N64, no GAMECUBE? Another thing that annoys me is that purchases from 3DS don't rollover to Wii U (presuming the game is on both systems), or vice-versa. At least they were nice enough to allow my old Wii purchases to rollover.

This brings up something else. The way they handle Wii games/content is kinda half@ssed. It almost feels like an emulated system the way you have to boot up the Wii OS. When you pop-in a Wii game you first have to load up the Wii OS theeeeen you can play your game. It takes a while to load too the OS too.

No analog trigger buttons. This has it's roots in court-case they lost over analog button patent. (Which if you look at the patent it's quite bogus. The designs illustrated are not that similar.) This loss is why they stopped making the first Classic Controller and started producing the Classic Pro. If you think about it all silly because Nintendo had analog triggers on the GameCube. -So does the 360 and PS3! But yeah, Analog triggers on Game Pad and Pro controller would have been nice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:10:41 pm by badATchaos »

dreama1

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:53 pm »
I a huge fanboy and love the console although there are a few shortcomings.

I've said it before but the Virtual Console selection is pathetic. It seems to me it should have been relatively easy to get the games they had already prepared on the Wii Virtual Console a few years ago because a lot of the leg-work had already been done. Weird that they're only doing NES, SNES and GBA games so far. No N64, no GAMECUBE? Another thing that annoys me is that purchases from 3DS don't rollover to Wii U (presuming the game is on both systems), or vice-versa. At least they were nice enough to allow my old Wii purchases to rollover.

This brings up something else. The way they handle Wii games/content is kinda half@ssed. It almost feels like an emulated system way you have to boot up the Wii OS. When you pop-in a Wii game you first have to load up the Wii OS theeeeen you can play your game. It takes a while to load too the OS too.

No analog trigger buttons. This has it's roots in court-case they lost over analog button patent. (Which if you look at the patent it's quite bogus. The designs illustrated are not that similar.) This loss is why they stopped making the first Classic Controller and started producing the Classic Pro. If you think about it all silly because Nintendo had analog triggers on the GameCube. -So does the 360 and PS3! But yeah, Analog triggers on Game Pad and Pro controller would have been nice.
It's very complicated. And I heard n64 emulation was very poor.

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:48 pm »
Not on the Wii. The five or so N64 games I played on the Wii were perfect facsimiles .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:13:14 pm by badATchaos »

dreama1

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »
Not on the Wii. The five or so N64 games I played on the Wii were perfect facsimiles .
Yeah some work great. Others not so much. Would love to see the Wii try and run starcraft 64 or command and conquer.