Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 8854 times)

argyle

Gaming Pet Peeves
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:19:17 am »
What are some little things games do that just drive you batty?  Here's a couple of mine:

1) Returning you to the main menu when you die.  Seriously?  You *want* me to quit your game?  Why make me wade back through a menu, often times the company logo, etc. just to reload my save?  Give me either a Continue option or put me at the load screen.

2) "All progress since your last checkpoint will be lost!" upon trying to quit.  This is the exact opposite, because it's like these people never want me to stop playing.  Look, I don't know when the last checkpoint was - that little save icon disappears pretty quickly and plus I'm not focused on it.  Why don't you do what bafflingly only a handful of games have done & tell me HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN SINCE MY LAST CHECKPOINT?   :o  I'll also accept the "Save & Quit" option. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:22:04 am by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Gaming Pet Peaves
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:35 am »
1).  Not being able to skip/FF dialogue,

2).  no 'soft-resets', and

3).  topics about my gaming pet peeves  ;)

- off of the top of my head
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:58 am »
1. Rushed releases. Make me wait six months for a game that's done. Don't send out something broken.
2. This whole no manual thing is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm getting a lot less with all these Xbox One games.
3. Porting. Just make the game for all the consoles. Make it optimized for each console.

That's all I've got so far, but I'm sure there are a lot more I'll remember later.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:06:58 am »
Oh yah; another big pet peeve of mine is when "peeve" is spelled/used incorrectly  :P

argyle

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:22:26 am »
Oh yah; another big pet peeve of mine is when "peeve" is spelled/used incorrectly  :P

Man, you're just saucey today aren't you?  :P  Happy now? 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »

I'm just being...

...wait for it...

"Peevish" today  :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:18:46 pm »
More on-topic, another gaming-related peeve of mine are on-line/multiplayer required trophies in single-player campaigns/RPG's; likewise trophies that become impossible to get when servers go down.

argyle

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:35:14 pm »

I'm just being...

...wait for it...

"Peevish" today  :P

More on-topic, another gaming-related peeve of mine are on-line/multiplayer required trophies in single-player campaigns/RPG's; likewise trophies that become impossible to get when servers go down.

Heck, I'd say online trophies period.  Really annoying. 

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:48 pm »
Checkpoints before unskippable cutscenes.

Games that don't have multiple save files.

Famicom controller cord length.

Sloppy ports to PC.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:21 pm »
Games w/ completely impossible-to-get True Endings w/o a guide!

Especially, when they have ridiculously obtuse & un-intuitive requirements/pre-requisites (like, in Cross-Edge) there's certain Bosses & enemies that...if you *mistakenly* cause them any damage = you can lock yourself out of the True Ending  :o

Peeves are good & all -but- how-z-about also listing solutions that we've seen done in games that can alleviate some of these peeves -and- that more games should be adopting.  I can think of 2 right off of the top of my head:

"Peeve" = having to run around in circles -at the mercy of a RNG- *Hoping* that you'll keep setting off random encounters when you need to grind/level-up.

"Solution" & Game = Cross-Edge has a feature where you can press a button for "Random Encounters On Demand"; whenever you want one...press the button for insta-fight!

"Peeve" = Games w/Branching & Multiple paths & endings where you have to play through the game (from the beginning) over, and over, and over, and over, and over again if you want to see & experience all of the different paths, outcomes, scenes, dialogue, and endings.

"Solution/Game" = I loved the way that Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ci'el (AT3) handled this...it automatically allowed you to to pick-up from where you left off (aka from right before any of the "Point-of-no-return" scenes/answers/choices; so...if there were say, 3 different paths/endings ==> after beating the game (with whatever ending) & after the credits roll & your NG+ starts ==> you can simply re-start from that point of the game w/o losing any of your $, items, levels, skills, etc.

I was very happily impressed w/ how this was implemented!

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 03:30:58 pm »
the game fear is a list of my gaming pet peeves but i'm only neming one of them

AI spaming: if your game relies on giving you 20 of the same generic enemies in a small room to make the game more difficult instead of making new enemies, you are just spaming the AI and thats bad game design

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:15:14 pm »
Another one!

Wtf?!

(At least) As far back as the PS *ONE*, games often came with the option of re-mapping your controls however you wanted to...WHY has this become such a rarity/gone out of vogue as the tech continues to grow & becomes more powerful & capable?

argyle

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:12 pm »
Another one!

Wtf?!

(At least) As far back as the PS *ONE*, games often came with the option of re-mapping your controls however you wanted to...WHY has this become such a rarity/gone out of vogue as the tech continues to grow & becomes more powerful & capable?

Games that don't allow you to invert in this day & age baffle me.  Wind Waker HD does this - actually, if I remember correctly it lets you invert the X axis but not the Y.   ???  Seems like a simple option that should be a default in any non-2D game. 

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 05:47:32 pm »

This has reminded me of my top peeve...

Imagine yourself using a camera on a tripod. if you want the camera to look left, you push the tripod handle to the right. If you want the camera to look up, you have to pull the handle down. Makes sense.

Here's what doesn't make sense: No option to invert X-axis on camera controls!

It's mostly American games that do this. They'll include the option to invert the vertical Y-axis, but not the horizontal X-axis also. Why?? How many precious seconds would it take to program that in? Third person games are nearly unplayable for me if you can't fully invert the camera. Tomb Raider was the most recent offender.

It's so bad I had to get a re-mappable PS3 controller in order to play these games without looking in the wrong direction every time...  ::)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:33:35 pm »
Which controller did you get for your PS3?