Author Topic: Games everyone hates but you love?  (Read 23499 times)

thekosmickollector

Re: Games everyone hates but you love?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 05:04:00 pm »
Oo, this is a long list for me :P

The first would be Aliens VS Predator (The 2010 one) I found it pretty fun, especially considering you can play as an alien, a predator or a marine, but it got a lot of hate :(
Also, with the exception of the Ride/Shred games I enjoyed all of the Tony Hawk games - general consensus suggests that the series took a major dive around the release of Underground 2 and the 7th-gen titles were unenjoyable, but I think they all offered a relatively similar arcadey fun experience, all with an awesome soundtrack to boot :D
Star Fox Assault also comes to mind, to my knowledge the Gamecube Starfox games weren't met with much praise, but I found it to be really fun :D

defthead

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:17 am »
For me it  there are two major examples of games I love but everybody hates. One for X360 "Ninety Nine Nights"  and for PS3 "LAIR", both I recognize are not great games but well they just seem to appeal to me, N3 basically was the first major X360 release I waited for months after 360's release and even when I admit it has several flaws it mixes some RPG elements with a Dinasty Warrios gamplay that basically made me fall in love, that mix plus the availability to play different sides of story with different characters, some well developed (others not) just made the deal for me, even though most people hates it by the flaws: the bad lip sync, cheesy story and voice acting, repetitive gameplay and bland visuals.

For LAIR on PS3 it happened something similar, it is the game for which I bought the PS3, and with the prestige of Factor 5 it was a no brainer, while everybody complains about the motion dragon flight controls I found them ok , some times  frustrating, but so the Resident Evil early games controls were too, plus I played the game once the patch to allow stick control and improvement on motion was released. Anyways the ability to ride a Dragon, have an on air fight with another Dragon, being able to pull a bull from the horns and throw it to a road full of soldiers and spit fire is a win for me  plus the great production values of the game and 1080p.

I am sure there are others on older consoles (perhaps KI Gold on N64) but these are my more significant cases where hate is too much while I love the games.  :)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:42:55 am by defthead »

amauriel

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2015, 09:32:59 am »
Star Fox Assault also comes to mind, to my knowledge the Gamecube Starfox games weren't met with much praise, but I found it to be really fun :D

This reminds me. Star Fox Adventures is a great Zelda game.  :P  A lot of people hated it, but I still have a soft spot for that game.

One of my favorite games ever is Cubivore, and I remember that one having really mixed reviews, ranging between hatred and meh. For something more modern, how about Chibi-Robo Photo Finder on the 3DS eShop? Once I realized I could just use Google Images for the stupid picture mechanic, the game itself became a blast.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

kashell

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2015, 09:54:30 am »
I just found this topic, so I figured I'd post a couple of games that immediately come to mind. And yes, I really enjoyed Stella Deus and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good SRPG.

Ephemeral Fantasia: This was my first game that I got with my PS2. An intriguing plot, lush graphics and an unlikely cast of heroes come together in a non-linear game that might turn off people that are used to linear RPGs. The battle system has elements of SaGa Frontier and Chrono Trigger. Also, there is a Guitar Freaks mini-game that is highly addictive. People don't realize that there was stuff before Guitar Hero came to prominence.

Tsugunai, Atonement: Another over looked PS2 RPG that received a lot of negative feedback. The graphics are a bit dated, but the soundtrack by Mitsuda is totally worth a listen. The battles are tough and the story is a bit predictable, but if you finish it, you will feel on top of the world due to some of the most brutal difficulty ever seen in the genre.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:24:12 pm by kashell »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:48 am »
I just found this topic, so I figured I'd post a couple of games that immediately come to mind. And yes, I really enjoyed Stella Deus and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good SRPG.

Ephemeral Fantasia: This was my first game that I got with my PS2. An intriguing plot, lush graphics and an unlikely cast of heroes come together in a non-linear game that might turn off people that are used to linear RPGs. The battle system has elements of SaGa Frontier and Chrono Trigger. Also, there is a Guitar Freaks mini-game that is highly addictive. People don't realize that there was stuff before Guitar Hero came to prominence.

Tsugunai, Atonement: Another over looked PS2 RPG that received a lot of negative feedback. The graphics are a bit dated, but the soundtrack by Mitsuda is totally worth a listen. The battles are tough and the story is a bit predictable, but if you finish it, you will feel on top of the world due to some of the most brutal difficulty ever seen in the series.

Which series is that, kash?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 11:43:24 am »
Whoops! Typo. I meant genre. XD

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 12:10:16 pm »

Your proof-reader is *always* watching and *always* on the job...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:36 pm »

Your proof-reader is *always* watching and *always* on the job...

Has anyone ever mentioned that life gets better when you're around? They should. Thanks for catching that.

P.S. My Dark Cloud review is up.

thewelshman

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2015, 04:48:50 am »
I was in the middle of playing Stella Deus whenever I found out that my cousin had passed away. Not trying to be a downer, but that game allowed me to be focused on something else and like folks have mentioned here, it never got a lot of love.

Another game I always wished they released more DLCs for, or a sequel was Lost Odyssey. I spoke to more people who had something negative to say, then good. I found it to be absolutely great and would have 100% achievements if not for the treasure trove AP, lol.

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »

This reminds me. Star Fox Adventures is a great Zelda game.  :P  A lot of people hated it, but I still have a soft spot for that game.

One of my favorite games ever is Cubivore, and I remember that one having really mixed reviews, ranging between hatred and meh. For something more modern, how about Chibi-Robo Photo Finder on the 3DS eShop? Once I realized I could just use Google Images for the stupid picture mechanic, the game itself became a blast.

I liked Star Fox Adventures as well, it was a different approach to Star Fox many people didn't like, and if they didn't have that annoying Triceratops (Tricky I believe is his name) in it it would be a whole lot funner.

Warmsignal

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2015, 02:50:06 am »
I swear once upon a time I answered this thread or one like it and said Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Anyways, the AVGN episode may be notorious but really it boils down to the fact that James was confused and annoyed by it as a kid, and still doesn't understand how to play as an adult.

Could probably think of a million more. Everyone's a game critic. :-X

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »
I swear once upon a time I answered this thread or one like it and said Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Anyways, the AVGN episode may be notorious but really it boils down to the fact that James was confused and annoyed by it as a kid, and still doesn't understand how to play as an adult.

Could probably think of a million more. Everyone's a game critic. :-X

Yes! Thank god I am not alone. If you genuinly like this game (as I do) do yourself a favor and grab the famicom version. The U.S. version is missing 2 levels and some sexual innuendo. :)

Warmsignal

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:30 am »
...add Friday The 13th to the list.

Flawed, but good. A concept most cannot seem to grasp.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2015, 01:17:26 pm »
...add Friday The 13th to the list.

Flawed, but good. A concept most cannot seem to grasp.

It's the randomness of the game that sucks. Kids randomly disappear, and Jason randomly appears. You could play the game one day and skate through it. Play it another day and the game just wants to make you suffer.

rancesama

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2015, 05:34:14 pm »
I enjoyed FF X-2. Not so much for the story ... or lack there of, but I enjoyed the job class system ... I mean "dress sphere" system. It's not my favorite FF by any means (that goes to FF IV) but I think I enjoyed FF X-2 more than most. I liked searching for new jobs and trying to find all the rare ones.

Not sure if you could say I "love" it, but I enjoyed it. Also, its the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!