Author Topic: More Missing Consoles  (Read 47893 times)

Re: More Missing Consoles
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:53 am »
Just had a thought  - wouldn't it be easier to have region selectable separately from the format? So when you were adding an item you pick "Neo Geo Pocket" (for example) and then be given a choice of region afterwards. For formats that had different names in different regions (PC Engine/TurboGrafx, Mega Drive/Genesis, etc) just make sure there's a note about it in the style guide or at the top of the page or something, because obviously there's no such thing as a US PC Engine game or an EU Genesis game.

I was just thinking that might be more straightforward because then there'd always be a single complete set of regions for all formats without having to add them as totally unique categories each time.

I have no idea how the database works, so this is probably too much work or too difficult to do or something, but I thought I'd put the idea out there (if it's not been said before).

matt

« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2012, 07:04:36 pm »
Just had a thought  - wouldn't it be easier to have region selectable separately from the format? So when you were adding an item you pick "Neo Geo Pocket" (for example) and then be given a choice of region afterwards. For formats that had different names in different regions (PC Engine/TurboGrafx, Mega Drive/Genesis, etc) just make sure there's a note about it in the style guide or at the top of the page or something, because obviously there's no such thing as a US PC Engine game or an EU Genesis game.

I was just thinking that might be more straightforward because then there'd always be a single complete set of regions for all formats without having to add them as totally unique categories each time.

I have no idea how the database works, so this is probably too much work or too difficult to do or something, but I thought I'd put the idea out there (if it's not been said before).

That's not a bad idea but I probably won't make any changes to it right now. Eventually there will be platform pages, that do list the regions and other basic meta-data regarding the consoles.

Ahhh too much stuff on my to-do list!

« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:20 pm »

You need more staffers. ;) wink wink nudge nudge

« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2012, 12:34:15 am »
That's not a bad idea but I probably won't make any changes to it right now. Eventually there will be platform pages, that do list the regions and other basic meta-data regarding the consoles.

Well I'm not complaining that it hasn't happened, I was just thinking aloud :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
Matt -

Anything I could do to help...I have the time.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
Can you set us up with the Wii U categories?   I'd like to start adding launch games ahead of time so we're ready when it comes out next month.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2012, 05:21:23 pm »
Here's a few I thought of. I'll edit it as I go:
  • Atari
    • Atari 5200 Accessory [NA]
    • Atari 7800 Accessory [NA]

• Sega Other

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:42:08 pm by exonerator »

« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
Another one - Wii [JP]

:)

« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2012, 12:48:33 am »
I can only sound like an arsehole when saying this so I may as well just get it out the way (sorry):

I've got about 100 more games I can add under the current categories, which will bring my total up to about 800 games listed in my collection here. My actual collection has over 1100 games, with most of my rarest/unique/interesting games unable to be listed. I realise that these things aren't worked on by magic database elves but I would like some idea of when missing regions/formats are going to be added ^^~

I know that Steam (for example) is essentially region free and I could list my Steam games under Steam [NA] and still sleep at night... but when we're being so specific with everything else, even down to the barcode/item number, it seems silly to fudge it. I could also list missing items under "Other"... but then I'm going to have to re-classify about 300 games at some point down the line!

tpugmire

« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »
Currently, Matt and Scott are the only ones who can add categories.  I'll see if I can get one of them in here to add the last few requested categories.

EDIT:
These are the requested categories that need to be added, I copied them from the various requests.  I left out the PC/MAC categories because I'm not sure if anything has been decided on those yet.  Also, the WiiU categories still need to be fixed (Hardware [JP] and [EU] need to be removed.)

Atari ST [US]
Atari ST [EU]

Mega CD [EU]

Mega Drive [CHN]
Mega Drive [KOR]

MSX [EU]

Neo Geo Pocket Colour [JP]
Neo Geo Pocket Colour [EU]

Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console [JP]
Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console [EU]

PS2 [CHN]
PS2 [KOR]

PS3 [CHN]
PS3 [KOR]

PSP [CHN]
PSP [KOR]

Sega 32X [JP]
Sega 32X [EU]

Nintendo 3DS [AU]
Wii [AU]
WiiWare [AU]
Virtual Console [AU]
Nintendo VS [NA]

Atari 5200 Accessory [NA]
Atari 7800 Accessory [NA]

Sega SG-1000 [JP] (rename http://vgcollect.com/browse/sg1000II to this to make more sense)
Sega SG-1000 Hardware
Sega SC-3000 Hardware
Sega Mark III [JP]
Sega Mark III Hardware

Wii [JP]
WiiWare [JP]
Virtual Console [JP]

Not sure about these ones, regions, etc?
- Commadore Amiga CD32
- NUON
- Memorex VIS
- Apple Bandai Pippin
- CreatiVision
- RCA Studio II
- Gizmondo
- Sammy Atomiswave
- APF MP-1000
- Casette Vision
- Xavix Port
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:20:40 pm by tpugmire »
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2012, 01:16:57 am »
Thank you ^^~

PC [CHN]/[KOR] is actually the one I need the most, I have over 100 games that fall under those listings alone!  :o

Amiga absolutely needs an [EU] category, it was massive over here in the 80s/90s.

You missed off the PC-FX from your list, it's the successor to PC-Engine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-FX

Personally I'd make sure *every* format has [US]/[EU]/[JP]/[CHN]/[KOR] options no matter what - I realise that would create some redundancy but it's far less frustrating to have an option and not need to use it than to be sitting on hundreds of games that you're willing to add but unable to.

scott

« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2012, 09:44:03 am »
Currently, Matt and Scott are the only ones who can add categories.  I'll see if I can get one of them in here to add the last few requested categories.

EDIT:
These are the requested categories that need to be added, I copied them from the various requests.  I left out the PC/MAC categories because I'm not sure if anything has been decided on those yet.  Also, the WiiU categories still need to be fixed (Hardware [JP] and [EU] need to be removed.)

Atari ST [US]
Atari ST [EU]

Mega CD [EU]

Mega Drive [CHN]
Mega Drive [KOR]

MSX [EU]

Neo Geo Pocket Colour [JP]
Neo Geo Pocket Colour [EU]

Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console [JP]
Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console [EU]

PS2 [CHN]
PS2 [KOR]

PS3 [CHN]
PS3 [KOR]

PSP [CHN]
PSP [KOR]

Sega 32X [JP]
Sega 32X [EU]

Nintendo 3DS [AU]
Wii [AU]
WiiWare [AU]
Virtual Console [AU]
Nintendo VS [NA]

Atari 5200 Accessory [NA]
Atari 7800 Accessory [NA]

Sega SG-1000 [JP] (rename http://vgcollect.com/browse/sg1000II to this to make more sense)
Sega SG-1000 Hardware
Sega SC-3000 Hardware
Sega Mark III [JP]
Sega Mark III Hardware

Wii [JP]
WiiWare [JP]
Virtual Console [JP]

Thank you ^^~

PC [CHN]/[KOR] is actually the one I need the most, I have over 100 games that fall under those listings alone!  :o

Amiga absolutely needs an [EU] category, it was massive over here in the 80s/90s.

You missed off the PC-FX from your list, it's the successor to PC-Engine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-FX

Personally I'd make sure *every* format has [US]/[EU]/[JP]/[CHN]/[KOR] options no matter what - I realise that would create some redundancy but it's far less frustrating to have an option and not need to use it than to be sitting on hundreds of games that you're willing to add but unable to.

Added all of these. Except for the Sega Mark III. As far as I can tell the Mark III is a variant of the Sega Master System and if it is, the hardware should be listed in with the rest of the Master System hardware. And the games would be Master System games, yes?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:01:48 am by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2012, 10:58:59 am »

« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:59 am »

Added all of these. Except for the Sega Mark III. As far as I can tell the Mark III is a variant of the Sega Master System and if it is, the hardware should be listed in with the rest of the Master System hardware. And the games would be Master System games, yes?

Strictly speaking, the Master System is a variant of the Mark III. They are the same system though, so a Japanese Master System game = Japanese Mark III game.

Thank you so much for adding those categories! Just one thing I'd like clearing up if it won't get me banned for being annoying - what's going on with arcade games? "Arcade conversion" seems to really be "Arcade other"... a conversion is actually an original board of <Game A> that has been overwritten with the code of <Game B>, which isn't the case here.

scott

« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »
As far as I am aware. An arcade conversion is a machine that has had its art striped or covered and a whole different PCB installed in place of the original. I've never heard of an arcade conversion being one game being overwritten by another.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread