Author Topic: How do you organize?  (Read 2200 times)

How do you organize?
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:20 pm »
I was wondering how everyone grouped their game collections from different systems. The way I'm doing it now is grouping it by generation (i.e. ps2 with gamecube and xbox, xbox 360 with ps3 and wii) and I was curious to see how others grouped their collections.

kashell

Re: How do you organize?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »
Each shelf row is dedicated to the games for one system. Sometimes I'll combine things.

anagar

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:23 pm »
 By "family" so (PS2,PS3,PS4 then GC, Wii, WiiU) and in ABC order. Same goes for the portable shelf.
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

topspot123

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:23:25 am »
By "family" so (PS2,PS3,PS4 then GC, Wii, WiiU) and in ABC order. Same goes for the portable shelf.

Same here but with the following exceptions; mine are arranged in 'roughly' alphabetical order.  When it's a game series, release order takes precedent over title.  For instance 'Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction' is first even though 'Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time' is alphabetically first.

My Colecovision games are essentially sorted in purchase order and for some reason that makes no rational sense, my NES, SNES, and Gameboy games follow different sorting rules.  They are generally grouped by series (chronologically) with first party on the left, third party on the right.  My brain just expects them to be this way and changing it would throw me off;  I'm not sure I could get used it changing.  But my Genesis games are alphabetical.  Go figure.

Come to think of it, my GBA games are kept in two zippered folios.  They are alphabetical but one has all first party and the other all third party.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:28:23 am »
That's a complicated question for me:

1. Sega Genesis games are in a tape case that's on display, mounted on the wall.

2. PS1 games are in a CD-tower.

3. Dreamcast games are on display in a wall-mounted CD case.

4. All of my NES & SNES games are on a 3-tier bookshelf.

5. All of my PS2 games are on another 3-tier bookshelf.

6. And all of my other DVD-sized games (XBox, 360, XBone, GameCube, Wii, Wii U) are on yet another bookshelf.

7. My Game Boy, GBC, & GBA games are in binders in 9-pocket trading card plastic pages.

8. And finally, my DS & 3DS games are in those 18-game holders that you used to get from Club Nintendo that are the same size as normal game cases, with the game's original cases on display on a bookshelf.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:27:58 pm by burningdoom »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:21:54 am »
 well i try to have my games organized a certian way but space prohibits me. you see my shelving was made to fit exactly for what i needed this helps conserve space nes shelves were built a certian size super nes,sega gen, ps1, so on and so forth. thankfully for each system i built a few oversized shelves so if need be i can move stuff around alittle.but space does dictate how i can arrange things for sure. one wierd thing though i arrange games for my 360 by genre i feel its easier to find something im looking for this way cause its the largest part of my collection but i dont do it for any other systems in my collection

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 02:34:17 am »
Each shelf row is dedicated to the games for one system. Sometimes I'll combine things.

This is what i do, i need to build a 2nd shelf soon.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:29 am »
By system in no particular order ATM.

Plan is by family in no particular order.

Sega CD to Sega Saturn to Dreamcast to SMS to Genesis.  SNES to N64 to GCN to Wii.  PS1 to PS2.  All other single systems over in the corner of shame with Xbox.

All of my modern and handheld stuff are in their own respective rooms.

shepard11

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:56 pm »
I have shelves for some of my favorite games and systems and anything not on the shelf are in these lovely plastic stack-able drawers split up by system. Cept for the top drawer which is in box but not displayed Nintendo products.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 02:21:55 pm »
Because of limited space Every thing is organized by the size of the box/Jewell case.

deftommo

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 02:31:39 pm »
I have a section of a bookshelf I dedicate to my favorites. I sort the games by series and in order, regardless of platform.

The rest go in a drawer where I just sort them by system.

azure

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 05:53:31 pm »
Alphabetical order, and by system for me. I keep my autographed titles separate, that's the only exception.

telly

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 08:28:57 pm »
I really don't have much organization, things are split between my apartment and my parents house. They are somewhat grouped by system at least
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

necrosexual

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »
system -> genre -> alphabetical

...in theory.

i'm running out of space so at this point i'm cramming things where they fit.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:55 pm »
By system, and then alphabetical.  If there are multiple games in a series for a console I sort those by release order.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)