Author Topic: The Toy Collectors  (Read 41928 times)

Re: The Toy Collectors
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2021, 04:00:30 pm »
Yeah, even though they often look really nice, I've never bothered to get anything from Super7...although I've been super close to with the ThunderCats figures. However, every time I'd end up saying, "I can use this money for something else," and forget about it.

With that said, though, that Samurai Leonardo does pique my interest, as I remember owning the original figure ages ago. I'll tell you what. I guarantee you I'll be all over the release of a Space Cadet Raphael.

I dug through stuff I sell at the flea market and it turns out I had a vintage Samurai Leo, so I'll keep that to put up with the Super 7 one.  Missing one of the shoulder armor pieces and no accessories, but just having the basic figure to put with the Super 7 one is cool.  I have a vintage re-release for the standard Leo that I have with my regular Super 7 Leo.

pzeke

« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2021, 07:43:30 am »
Was actually considering getting this new Captain America figure when I first saw it, because I think it looks great, the suit might be up there as one of the better comic to MCU translations they've done and with the wings, it's quite a great looking figure.  The suit just pops in toy form and in the show.  Was super disappointed that the only way to have a complete Cap is to buy the entire wave as they made the wings a separate BAF release.  I don't want any of the other figures and I'm not paying over 150 bucks just to get the wings lol Sadly I'll have to wait for a deluxe release, which I'm sure will come out with the next Captain America movie they announced.

Been meaning to mention that there's the S.H.Figuarts Falcon by Tamashii Nations, in case you're interested. Granted, it's just plain old Falcon, but still looks a thousand times better than Hasbro's figure; and it's worth the price, especially considering you have to get the entire wave in order to build the wings to complete the figure.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2021, 12:47:55 pm »
Not wrong, but I don't want to spend 150 bucks on a single figure no matter what lol It's easy enough to just wait for the inevitable deluxe edition they'll do down the road.  If I'm spending 100 to 150 bucks on a figure, I'm most likely gonna spend it on MonsterArts figures that I'd love to get for Monster Hunter and Godzilla.

covfefe2020

« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2021, 11:51:42 pm »
man just go to walmart and buy the first falcon figure you see for like $9
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2021, 12:55:46 am »
man just go to walmart and buy the first falcon figure you see for like $9

Or I can wait and get the figure I actually want that works with my collection lol

pzeke

« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2021, 10:03:45 am »
Not wrong, but I don't want to spend 150 bucks on a single figure no matter what lol It's easy enough to just wait for the inevitable deluxe edition they'll do down the road.  If I'm spending 100 to 150 bucks on a figure, I'm most likely gonna spend it on MonsterArts figures that I'd love to get for Monster Hunter and Godzilla.

I like highly detailed and articulated figures as much as the next guy, very much so that my inner child goes apeshit for them; but for that price, I would rather get a statue, or maybe shell out a bit more for something a bit more "high-end", instead. Once I open my figures/statues and display them, they're set, perpetually confined within the wooden walls of my curio cabinet...or wherever is that I end up displaying them in/on.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2021, 12:23:31 am »
The other day I wound up finding a good deal on a case of trading card packs for one of the CCGs I played when I was a kid, the Star Trek CCG. After opening them up, I decided to dig all my old cards out and reorganize them, getting what I've got into some nice binders and holy shit do I have a lot of cards:

That's everything sorted by set (not pictured is a full storage tub of Holodeck Adventures commons and uncommons from a misguided ebay auction years ago). I do know I will never have a complete collection as prices have skyrocketed for some of the sets. While some remain cheap, others are up to $1,500 a box. Looking at it all, if I had to guess, I'd say out of the 4,100 cards made, I'm missing probably about 200 of them, but I'll know for sure once I start organizing the individual sets.

« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2021, 12:55:40 am »
The other day I wound up finding a good deal on a case of trading card packs for one of the CCGs I played when I was a kid, the Star Trek CCG. After opening them up, I decided to dig all my old cards out and reorganize them, getting what I've got into some nice binders and holy shit do I have a lot of cards:

That's everything sorted by set (not pictured is a full storage tub of Holodeck Adventures commons and uncommons from a misguided ebay auction years ago). I do know I will never have a complete collection as prices have skyrocketed for some of the sets. While some remain cheap, others are up to $1,500 a box. Looking at it all, if I had to guess, I'd say out of the 4,100 cards made, I'm missing probably about 200 of them, but I'll know for sure once I start organizing the individual sets.

With all the TCG hype lately with Pokemon that's spread to all sorts of other brands and styles, it's kinda reinvigorated my old love of card games.  Me and my sister have been buying Pokemon cards off and on for abit and I've been tempted to grab some DBZ, which was my childhood love.  I actually have a bunch of character cards still from the original DBZ TCG from the early 2000's, I was way big on playing.  I wouldn't mind getting more if I could find a bunch on the cheap, but I imagine they are crazy expensive to buy packs again.

I did just get a bunch of 1st gen Pokemon cards from a friend, base set, fossil, jungle, and some others, no holofoils and the base set is later prints, but for me and my sister just collecting for kicks, getting a bunch of standard cards is great.  I need to buy a new binder for them specifically since I got like 100 of them lol

« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2021, 01:23:53 am »
I need to buy a new binder for them specifically since I got like 100 of them lol

I got a bunch of CardGuard's pro-folios for my organization instead of three ring binders. They're side loading pages so there's less risk of the cards escaping and the pages are more durable compared to the standard card pages you'd put into a binder, and are made in a way that the pages are double sided without the cards touching each other. Each book holds 360 cards and runs about 12 bucks. I also managed to find a massive plastic card holder for all the non binder ones, the BCW card bin. It holds around 3,200 cards. It's about twice the price of the cardboard equivalent of that size, but after seeing the accumulated damage my old cardboard one had taken over the years, I feel the upgrade was worth it.

« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2021, 01:48:30 am »
I need to buy a new binder for them specifically since I got like 100 of them lol

I got a bunch of CardGuard's pro-folios for my organization instead of three ring binders. They're side loading pages so there's less risk of the cards escaping and the pages are more durable compared to the standard card pages you'd put into a binder, and are made in a way that the pages are double sided without the cards touching each other. Each book holds 360 cards and runs about 12 bucks. I also managed to find a massive plastic card holder for all the non binder ones, the BCW card bin. It holds around 3,200 cards. It's about twice the price of the cardboard equivalent of that size, but after seeing the accumulated damage my old cardboard one had taken over the years, I feel the upgrade was worth it.

Yeah that's more what I meant, we grabbed one of those side loading ones for the new Pokemon cards we bought, which is neat to have as we sleeve them and then slide them into binder, so we'll probably do that for these too.

« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2021, 07:43:47 am »

I'm only like 4 cards short of an entire retail set.  I think it's just a foil from Blaze of Glory, then the UR from Motion Pictures, and one or two alternate border cards from the same set.  The TMP cards are crazy expensive.

I'm also missing the All Good Things boutique set, bit I've kind of resigned myself to never having it.

« Reply #191 on: May 03, 2021, 12:49:37 pm »
I'm also missing the All Good Things boutique set, bit I've kind of resigned myself to never having it.

Same. I just can't see myself paying that kind of money for what those cards are. The Enterprise Collection's at least more grounded in price by comparison.

pzeke

« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2021, 07:09:27 pm »
Been meaning to mention that there's the S.H.Figuarts Falcon by Tamashii Nations, in case you're interested. Granted, it's just plain old Falcon, but still looks a thousand times better than Hasbro's figure; and it's worth the price, especially considering you have to get the entire wave in order to build the wings to complete the figure.

The S.H.Figuarts Falcon looks great, but the Hot Toys Captain America (Sam Wilson) easily steals the show. And I know, both are entirely different type of figures, but still.

I don't collect Hot Toys, but between this one and Venompool the temptation is slowly pulling me in.

« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2021, 08:04:06 pm »
Finally picked up the best Kevin Nash action figure! lol

Despite what seemed like a number of Walmarts supposedly getting crap tons of the NECA Super Shredder Shadow Master variant, I hadn't seen one show up in any Walmart around me the whole time.  Until today! There was one left on the shelf, it's a fairly cheap figure at 30 bucks for its size, and it looks fantastic.  I think this version is better than the other, because in the movie, Super Shredder looks way darker compared to a bright purple suit that I guess he actually had.  Overall a real good figure, not the greatest poseability wise, but all of the painting and details look so good.  the paint on of his eyes is a tad off unfortunately, didn't notice it till I got home, maybe why it was the last one left, but it doesn't bother me that much since you can't notice it unless it's right up to your face.

Just need to get a movie Leonardo and I'm good with these figures.

« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2021, 08:20:04 pm »
Nice!  He's one of my favorites for sure.  I got the Genghis and Rasputin cartoon frogs today, myself.  Just need to eventually get the damned display case I want.

There's an Ultimate version of TMNT 2 Shredder coming at some point in the future, too.