Author Topic: Do you ever intentionally choose first print over deluxe edition?  (Read 4404 times)

Warmsignal

I have to admit that I usually do this. When a game is re-printed with added content, the cover art gets compromised in the process with all kinds of writing, badges, and revisions. For example, Nier Automata GOTY is on sale right now for as little as the first print edition, but the cover is kinda crap in comparison. This is usually the situation for most GOTY, or deluxe editions. They kind of look like a greatest hits afterthought that muddles up the packaging.

So the question becomes, do I want that supposed bonus content that comes with it, or do I want better looking shelf-trinket? I can still download the bonus content if I really wanted it. This is what is currently keeping me from jumping on this deal for Nier, it's that lackluster re-worked art. Looks like crap. Would rather just have the first print of the game.

Re: Do you ever intentionally choose first print over deluxe edition?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:58:28 pm »
I’m the exact opposite, usually.  I’d much rather have everything together in one compact package.  The only exception to this is if the new content isn’t on the disc (looking at you PS4 Spider-Man). 

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »
I’m the exact opposite, usually.  I’d much rather have everything together in one compact package.  The only exception to this is if the new content isn’t on the disc (looking at you PS4 Spider-Man).

I strongly dislike the inconsistency. It's the same reason I will not buy a collector's edition, or a steel-book, etc. Yeah it's supposedly "better", but it looks like crap, IMO. It looks like it does not belong. I also don't buy greatest hits, even though it's a better deal. Those abominations do not belong!

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 01:18:56 pm »
If the game in question is something I really want and there is some extra stuff added to the deluxe edition that I feel is worth it then I will go for that. The Deluxe Edition subtitle doesnt really bother me. Speaking of Nier, for the longest time(maybe a year) I've had Nier on my shelf unplayed but then over BF, they had the Game Of The Yorha Edition on sale so I trade in my vanilla copy for that one especially considering IMO, the GotY cover is better than what we got originally. Hell, that GotY cover was the cover the Japanese version received when it came out.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:28:20 pm »
If the game in question is something I really want and there is some extra stuff added to the deluxe edition that I feel is worth it then I will go for that. The Deluxe Edition subtitle doesnt really bother me. Speaking of Nier, for the longest time(maybe a year) I've had Nier on my shelf unplayed but then over BF, they had the Game Of The Yorha Edition on sale so I trade in my vanilla copy for that one especially considering IMO, the GotY cover is better than what we got originally. Hell, that GotY cover was the cover the Japanese version received when it came out.

To each their own. Regardless, the "collector's edition" is by far the worse.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 03:01:52 pm »
definitive editions have just pretty much no damage to the art though they get less ugly by the day. just as good as a first print for way more games except for the definitve edition text or sometimes other art work

considering dlc content etc definitive edition is the way to go in this day and age this isnt like the old days in wich in some odd cases a few bugs where fixed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:18:20 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 03:15:22 pm »
definitive editions have just pretty much no damage to the art though they get less ugly by the day. just as good as a first print for way more games except for the definitve edition text or sometimes other art work

considering dlc content etc definitive edition is the way to go in this day and age.

Especially if said edition manages to get all that content on the disc itself rather than downloadable codes in the case.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 04:25:33 pm »
Even if the deluxe edition was the same price as the original base game, that came out years earlier, I'd buy the Deluxe edition just to have the expansion packs with it.

(for information about older PC games)

I had a lot of first print PC games growing up, because the deluxe edition  would come out 1 year to 2 years later.

PC deluxe editions used to have the base game included and could install 3 of the games of the Sims 2 series
(for example) at once.

but you would need to have the original games or expansions uninstalled or it would not work
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:41:49 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 pm »
I don't really care about first print necessarily, but I do care about Greatest Hits/Player's Choice covers. They are without exception hideous, and I actively choose to not have them in my collection. I understand that this sometimes means that having certain content or updates but since most of this is distributed digitally anyways it doesn't matter to me as much.

As for Deluxe Editions/CEs/LEs I used to always jump for these when possible, but now I only get these when its for a game I really, really care about, and even then I don't do it all the time; they just take up too much space.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »
I don't really care about first print necessarily, but I do care about Greatest Hits/Player's Choice covers. They are without exception hideous, and I actively choose to not have them in my collection. I understand that this sometimes means that having certain content or updates but since most of this is distributed digitally anyways it doesn't matter to me as much.

This so much. I made it a mission over the course of the last couple of years of replacing my Greatest Hits for PS2 and PS1 for black label versions. Now I have less of them than before which is great with some exceptions but overall, not a fan of them I especially made sure not to have em when the PS3 introduced those solid red cases.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 06:43:44 pm »
I read on here somewhere else The Greatest hits game do come with a more updated patch. (on the disc) at least on the PlayStation 3 games only difference is that the cases, they are red in the United States and not clear like the rest
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 08:44:44 pm »
I read on here somewhere else The Greatest hits game do come with a more updated patch. (on the disc) at least on the PlayStation 3 games only difference is that the cases, they are red in the United States and not clear like the rest

There might be some, but Greatest Hits largely they are the same game rebranded. Even GOTY editions may still need patches. So, Dishonored comes with all the DLC on the disc...neat right? Well, the patch you need to PLAY the DLC is not on the disc, you still need to DL it from Sony.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 09:07:11 pm »

This so much. I made it a mission over the course of the last couple of years of replacing my Greatest Hits for PS2 and PS1 for black label versions. Now I have less of them than before which is great with some exceptions but overall, not a fan of them I especially made sure not to have em when the PS3 introduced those solid red cases.

I did this pretty early on in my collecting career. I've been greatest hits free for about 6-years now. The only greatest hits game I can think of that I have is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution which only came in a greatest hits case.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:07 pm »

I did this pretty early on in my collecting career. I've been greatest hits free for about 6-years now. The only greatest hits game I can think of that I have is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution which only came in a greatest hits case.

Thats one the few I own myself. I remember when DMC3 Special Edition came out, it was only GH until it was packaged with the 5th Anniversary collection and it came to be black label. Granted it does have the not for resale label where the UPC is but hey, still black label. Going back to VF4, at one point I went as far as to trying to see if someone was perhaps selling a custom black label cover for that game. I did find one listing on ebay but never pulled the trigger. Havent seen it since though

dhaabi

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 09:52:40 pm »

In terms of collecting for consoles before the more digital era of patching games by over a network, games for older consoles such as the PlayStation which received Greatest Hits reprints often were given the same treatment. Minor tweaks and updates to the base game were made since the title's original printing, meaning such existences should actually be considered more sought after.

I generally don't play many games that eventually see a second print or GOTY editions. However, were I to play these titles again, I would go out and buy these updates versions, as opposed to buying DLC packs from a digital storefront. If I were not to have played a game prior to its GOTY or second print edition, I would simply buy the most updated version.