Author Topic: I want to get into Sega systems which Sega system do you guys recommend  (Read 4775 times)

sworddude

Re: I want to get into Sega systems which Sega system do you guys recommend
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2020, 12:47:49 pm »
Like I said, it also depends on your definition of expensive, not to mention my use of the word most, and not the word all.

Plus the Sonic games are not good.  I don't care who hears me.   :P

but you literally mentioned mario world for 20$ and that all the good games on genesis are pricy as hell.

shinobi III rocket knight and streets of rage II have that same price range, let alone the tons of other options.

also sega 6 pack for 10$ 50% the price of mario world: revenge of shinobi alone is one of the best games on the system, sonic 1 streets of rage and golden axe are just a bonus.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:49:45 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 12:50:00 pm »
Like I said, it also depends on your definition of expensive, not to mention my use of the word most, and not the word all.

but your literally mention mario world for 20$

shinobi III rocket knight and streets of rage II have that same price range, let alone the tons of other options.

Yes in the context of most of the good games are more expensive than that, not all of the good games are more expensive.  Words have meaning, you know.

sworddude

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »

I mean not really - at least depending on your definition of expensive.  Those games are generally at least double - if not more - than the price of the best / most popular games on the SNES and NES.  The problem with Genesis is that most of the best games are not common like those other consoles.  Sure everyone has some favorites that are probably a bit more pricey, but when you get down to brass tax the Mario games are amazing and usually $20 a pop.

My point is it ain't the case for most games on genesis. snes does a way worse job at that for the good games.

wich Is why I said pretty much all retro consoles have their sought after pricy games that most people won't get

snes, master system dreamcast they all have that very same problem for them premium titles.

like snes does it multiple times worse it's not even funny.

Are people forgetting pocky & rocky demons crest chrono trigger or earthbound

These prices even surpass those 4 mentioned cib as literally lose cardridges. and these 4 games are regularly in top 10 snes lists. These are popular as hell for snes.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:23:33 pm by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2020, 07:49:05 pm »

I mean not really - at least depending on your definition of expensive.  Those games are generally at least double - if not more - than the price of the best / most popular games on the SNES and NES.  The problem with Genesis is that most of the best games are not common like those other consoles.  Sure everyone has some favorites that are probably a bit more pricey, but when you get down to brass tax the Mario games are amazing and usually $20 a pop.

My point is it ain't the case for most games on genesis. snes does a way worse job at that for the good games.

wich Is why I said pretty much all retro consoles have their sought after pricy games that most people won't get

snes, master system dreamcast they all have that very same problem for them premium titles.

These prices even surpass those 4 mentioned cib as literally lose cardridges. and these 4 games are regularly in top 10 snes lists. These are popular as hell for snes.
Well if your mentioning those snes games you have to use the genesis top expensive games to compare them like Musha,Crusader of Centy,Trouble Shooter,Splaterhouse 3,Streets of Rage 3

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2020, 08:41:44 pm »

Well if your mentioning those snes games you have to use the genesis top expensive games to compare them like Musha,Crusader of Centy,Trouble Shooter,Splaterhouse 3,Streets of Rage 3

Hagane, wild guns, pocky & rocky 2 final fight 3, metal warriors, ninja warriors evo. megaman 7 and megaman x3, having megaman in the name alone makes it even mainstream sought after. tons of megaman collectors out there, and unlike wily wars the games are actually good.

eitherway I was mentioning the top 10 games on the system none of your examples are usually top 10 on genesis not even musha. these are niche or lesser options. amazing games don't get me wrong but not the very best most popular games on the system

splatter house 2 and streets of rage 2 and lightning force are better.
streets of rage 3 is the black sheep in the series with bad music, splatter house 3 ain't as great with the swap up in gameplay compared to 2.
trouble shooter is nice but really niche I've rarely seen anyone but the really hardcore shootemup fans talk about that title not to mention that most people talk about the japan only part 2 instead wich is way better. still fairly cheap compared to most pricy snes titles that surpass it as cart only

meanwhile demons crest earthbound and especially chrono trigger are absolute favourites by many. Cartagia did mention the most popular games on the system after all. chrono trigger is even considered to be the best rpg of all times by many. the hype for chrono trigger and earthbound is ridiculous none of those sega examples are that popular. yes they are sought after but you could kinda compare them to the more niche options such as hagane or wild guns on snes or whack series like keio flying squadron mr gimmick nes. sure every collectors knows about them and they are worth much but these are not your first picks. you could also mention alien soldier for sega, but again it's such a niche game compared to majority of the pricy snes games.

snes has legitmate examples of top tier games that are the most popular that are out of reach. far worse than genesis. aside from those 4 examples those super pricy games that you mentioned are far less popular.

Contra hard corps pricy? snes version is only 10$ less cart only yet more pricy as cib
hyperstone heist same story compared to turtles in time
Like only castlevania is a bit more pricy on genesis
and it's not like super metroid is literally the same price cart only and cib far higher in price than gunstar heroes.

even common games such as zelda a link to the past cib are the same price as the supposedly pricy as hell games that are contra hard corps and gunstar heroes in cib condition.

Only thing I'm saying is that snes has both niche but actual top 10 material or higher mainstream games that aren't niche  that are some of the most pricy games on the system. almost all those sega examples have better versions with earlier parts or are less known. musha is the only comes close to maybe being one of the more popular games but even than it's not even the best shoot emup option on genesis and it's more in the same league as amazing lesser picked titles such as wild guns and hagane.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:08:23 pm by sworddude »

Flashback2012

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 09:01:21 pm »
Semantic circle-jerking aside, why has no one not simply recommended a Sega Genesis Mini or one of the AtGames Genesis clones with built in games?  :P

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2020, 09:10:10 pm »
I could keep mentioning sega games I have close to 40 in my collection in the 90$+ range and their are lots more that im looking for.And the games I listed are great games imo definitely not black sheep and are very sought after in my circles.But I do agree cib snes are very expensive.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:17:52 pm by wartoy »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2020, 09:12:04 pm »
Semantic circle-jerking aside, why has no one not simply recommended a Sega Genesis Mini or one of the AtGames Genesis clones with built in games?  :P
I think it's for collection purposes

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »

Good call.

But I'd steer clear of At Games, terrible quality. Stick with the Genesis Mini. Or even cheaper, if you have have a console from this generation get the Sega Genesis Collection, or get the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection from last-gen.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2020, 11:38:45 pm »

Do you not even read my posts, bro?!

Emulate them or get a Genesis Mini.

Sorry. I just wanted to join the pointless walls of text arguing about stuff that no one even brings up.

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2020, 03:08:40 am »
CIB snes is indeed expensive thing is those examples are well over 90$ as even cart only to hundreds of $ usually surpassing even sega's most pricy games in cib format.

90$ sega titles 99 out of 100 times are all cib. even more common snes games in cib cardboard format are over 90$

those snes picks are more popular and recognizable than sega all I'm saying it's no suprise considering that allot of snes grails literally are series that exist today with megaman harvest moon or say dracula x, or capcom series such as final fight 3 demons crest wich still make tons of games today. let alone that sega has no examples that come close in terms of the popularity such as earthbound or chrono trigger that are locked behind having crazy prices. musha is nice and all but if your not a hardcore shootemup guy it's easy to miss. chrono trigger is an rpg that might even appeal to people who usually don't like rpg's.

back on topic,

why buy a mini console. just get an everdrive instead. cheaper and more content, at the end of the day most people emulate their mini console anyway what's the difference.

everdrive >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mini console

sega has been making mini consoles 10+ years. same for atari these things existed way before nintendo ever started with the nes mini. They where usually just seen as bargain bin filler material by the masses, It's just an excuse to get a mini console wich at the time had bad sound especially for sega instead of just emulation
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:25:32 am by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2020, 03:36:13 am »

Sorry I was Bored and on vacation with nothing to do but bicker about games.Didn't mean to get carried away lol.

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2020, 08:36:29 am »
back on topic,

why buy a mini console. just get an everdrive instead. cheaper and more content, at the end of the day most people emulate their mini console anyway what's the difference.

No they don't.  While we as collectors really got hard-ons for the mini-consoles the majority of them (after the original NES Mini Debacle) went to Joe Regular Guy who has no idea what emulation is, let alone how to do it.  My sister went out of her way to buy one of the Nintendo minis and she owns literally no other gaming memorabilia of any kind.  I know more people who are not into gaming who own a mini console than I do fellow gamers, for the exact reason you stated.  Emulation is generally superior - if you know what you are doing.

As mentioned, if I can interpret the OP correctly (and really, who knows at this point with them), its not a question of "How can I play SEGA games?" but "What SEGA stuff should I collect?"

sworddude

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:41 am »
back on topic,

No they don't.  While we as collectors really got hard-ons for the mini-consoles the majority of them (after the original NES Mini Debacle) went to Joe Regular Guy who has no idea what emulation is, let alone how to do it.  My sister went out of her way to buy one of the Nintendo minis and she owns literally no other gaming memorabilia of any kind.  I know more people who are not into gaming who own a mini console than I do fellow gamers, for the exact reason you stated.  Emulation is generally superior - if you know what you are doing.

The OP isn't a regular joe though my guess at least.

Anyone who is somewhat into retro game collecting usually knows at least a bit about emulation. especially 16 bit and down is quite accessible.

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2020, 10:38:10 am »
back on topic,

No they don't.  [...]

The OP isn't a regular joe though my guess at least.

That's not what was being talked about.