Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2022  (Read 32713 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2022
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2022, 07:59:23 am »
23. Danganranpa V3

A nice way to end the series. Definitely filled with twists and turns, but it felt a little too self-aware. As always, the story carried it. The mini-games got really frustrating near the end.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2022, 07:53:24 pm »
13. Mass Effect 3 Legendary Edition
Just finished the entire Legendary Edition.
WOW, I enjoyed these back in the day and they’re still great now. IMO the best 3-game trilogy ever. First time I’ve ever played any DLC and it really adds to the experience, especially the Citadel DLC in ME3. For the record, by the end I was about 3/4 Paragon, romanced Liara in ME1 then Miranda in 2 & 3, and Zaeed was my only team member to die (not including automatic deaths like Legion or near-automatic like Mordin)

gngtiger

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2022, 12:35:36 am »
I completed two in one day!
5: Excitebots Trick Racing (Wii)(Begun 4/10/22, finished 4/13/22) and 6: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Begun May 2021, finished 4/13/22)

The first one was one I had always been meaning to play, but it wasn't really a priority. I saw that my local library had a copy so I picked it up and played it. I finished the regular excite mode but don't really want to collect an S rank in every race to get Super Excite mode. This was honestly really, really fun. If you love wacky and fun racing games (such as the Mario Kart series) don't hesitate to give this one a try. For anyone curious, my main racer was the bat.

For the second, I had purchased it on the 3DS eShop a year prior. It took me a while to complete due to further backlog entries. This one wasn't all that great, but it was engaging, and better than its predecessor. Interesting to see Wario in his first appearance. It's also really impressive for a Game Boy game. The only mainline Super Mario series entry I haven't played yet is New Super Mario Bros. U.

tripredacus

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2022, 10:09:07 am »
5. Far Cry 5
Been a slow year so far, but with three Far Cry games at the start that might be an explanation. Playing the games out of order (New Dawn before 5) gave me a reverse nostalgia. Probably what is supposed to happen is in ND you see parts of the map from 5 and go "wow I remember that" and I had that as well but in the other direction. This one is less gimmicky than ND and doesn't force specific modes as the others. Such as, not having to even get or use the wingsuit. The only thing I was forced to do was fly a plane and it was extremely annoying. Keyboard controls weren't good but managed to get by somehow. Later I had tried using a controller with both inverted and non-inverted Y-axis and somehow that was worse than using the keyboard. Driving wasn't too bad this time around. Never did fly a helicopter. Parachute doesn't always open. Tried some of the side missions where you are the stuntman, but they got to annoying so I avoided them.

No issues with animals here basically at all. The only real problem with animals is the companions when you are in a car. I had Boomer (the dog) and Cheeseburger (the bear) and when you got into a car some strange things would happen. Either one of those would teleport to where you are, so when you drove somewhere and got out, they would be there. But only sometimes, sometimes they would die. Cheeseburger gets hit by cars a lot. Also really disappointed that when you get in a car, Boomer doesn't get in as well. Another weird thing is that if you have a human companion in the car and you bail out early, often that companion will die or get injured and stuck in the car until they despawn.

Unlike 4 and ND, there is no real weapon challenges and thus no real reason to use all of the weapons. You get to what works for you and basically use those the entire game. For me it was using 2x sniper (the .226 and the .50) suppressed, RPG and a pistol. Some missions I'd need to swap out the RPG for the SPAS to handle close range. This game is also when I started to understand the usage of DPI settings on my mouse. Usually I play FPS with fast mouse movement, but since I was running 2 snipers, I settled for the lowest setting and it was much easier to get headshots. And the reason I started carrying the .50 was because it gets 1 shot kill with headshot on VIPs.

I'm not sure about comparisons between the games. The only thing I didn't particularly like is that the mission indicator was not very vibrant so sometimes I couldn't find where it was. The other thing different is that I didn't end up using any of the crafting system because the controls to open that menu were different than in the other two games so I just ignored it. This only meant when out of heals I had to use cover and wait, since there is no "patch" heal in FC5. The only other annoyance was the rate at which enemies and vehicles would despawn. Sometimes they would despawn during firefights.

Probably the most fun I had in this game was creating parking lots. This can't really be done in endgame or in a conquered area. It works especially well when you come across a roadblock and also when you are being hunted. Certain areas are better than others, but essentially the game will continue to spawn enemy and friendly vehicles to drive on the road. And small movements can trigger the spawns. Meaning you can create some great pileups. NPC drivers are complete idiots so they will just plow into these.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2792041303
Eventually someone does something silly like throw a grenade
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2792041318

gngtiger

« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2022, 01:14:21 am »
7: Super Mario Bros. 2/Doki Doki Panic (Switch Online), Feb. 2022-4/13/22

This is the weirdest of the Mario NES trilogy. I seem to hear everybody talk about either one or three, but not two. Playing the Wii growing up, I noticed my parents bought Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3, but I always wondered about the second one. Now I know why it's semi-forgotten. This plays nothing like a Mario game. Which makes sense, as it isn't one. It's essentially a Mario reskin of Doki Doki Panic. However, I simply can't see it as not a Mario game, since it introduced so many elements that have since become essential to the Mario series (Shy Guys, Pokeys, Bob-Ombs, and more than two playable characters). It's good, I guess. I think the first one doesn't play all that well, and the third is the most refined, but this one, while not perfect, is the oddest of the bunch. The levels were fun and the mechanics were creative. Give this one a try if you enjoy the Mario series. It's kind of a breath of fresh air. Despite the Mario games being (well, mostly) amazing experiences. They almost have become formulaic. This one's a little different.

6.75/10

kashell

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2022, 08:24:15 am »
24. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Symphony of the Night is my favorite Castlevania and my favorite "Metroidvania/Castleroid/whatever" but Deedlit's adventure is locked in at second favorite. The adventure was over too soon - that's my only complaint about it. I'll probably double-dip and get it on PS4 so I can get its platinum.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2022, 08:39:04 am »
14. Streets of Rage 4 (PS4, on Hard with Max)
God this game is so good. That is all.

24. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Symphony of the Night is my favorite Castlevania and my favorite "Metroidvania/Castleroid/whatever" but Deedlit's adventure is locked in at second favorite. The adventure was over too soon - that's my only complaint about it. I'll probably double-dip and get it on PS4 so I can get its platinum.
I keep hearing mixed things about Deedlit that have made me hesitate to get it. Some people adore it while others say there’s not much to it. As much as I love SOTN, I figured I’d probably love it, thanks for the reaffirmation :)

« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2022, 01:49:54 am »
25. Sonic and Knuckles (Genesis)

This was another one of those iconic early childhood games of mine that I begged and pleaded with my parents to get me, especially since it allowed me to connect Sonic 3 which I also owned. However, most of my memories are of playing this as a standalone game and that's how I decided to play it tonight, even though most consider it and Sonic 3 combined to be the definitive Sonic 3 experience. However, I'd argue against this and say that there is a fairly noticeable difference in quality between the two games, especially in regards to level design. In this regard Sonic 3 is definitely superior as may levels in S&K just have a poor, uneven, and at times unbalanced feel to them in comparison. I can definitely tell where the Sonic 3 levels end and the S&K levels begin. Still, most of the gameplay in these levels is pretty good, however certain sections and a few bosses with just straight up sloppy and really took me out of the experience on several occasions. Other than that, the music and graphics are about on par with 3 which is no small feat since Sonic 3's visuals and OST are among the best of its era. I'd argue that S&K's OST is slightly less good, but the visuals go toe to toe with Sonic 3 without question. Sonic and Knuckles is a good game, but when compared to the other mainline Genesis Sonic games I find it to be the least enjoyable overall. In case you're wondering I rank the Sonic Genesis games in the order of best to worst with Sonic 3, then Sonic 2, then the original, and then finally S&K. Again, not a bad game in the franchise, far from it, but it just doesn't live up to the greatness that is Sonic 3 or the other games on the Genesis. (4/19/22) [36/50]

« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2022, 10:20:52 am »
I wish I had time to finish 1 game per week, I barely have time for 1 game per month lol

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2022, 04:01:57 pm »
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 4/23/22 (PS3)

Beat this together with my 9-year-old. It worked out well because I played as Sonic and did the legwork, while he tagged along as Tails, who is virtually indestructible, and helped take out bosses.

kashell

« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2022, 01:13:45 pm »
I went to an arcade yesterday for a birthday. It was alright (1 dollar for one round of pinball? Really?) but I did get to play through some classics thanks to the cabs on free-play.

25. X-Men
26. Soul Calibur III
27. Tenth Degree
28. Mortal Kombat III
29. Robotron 2084
30. Tapper

dhaabi

« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2022, 05:55:13 pm »
06. Kena: Bridge of Spirits || PlayStation 5 || 04.23.22

When the announcement trailer for Kena: Bridge of Spirits released in early 2021, I remember quickly being interested in the world presented and greatly anticipated for the game's release. Now, five months after its release, I've finally played and finished Kena, and my initial hype did not disappoint. In my reviews, I generally avoid referencing other works; however, Kena borrows a lot from other projects in regards to themes, gameplay, and presentation while blending them together seamlessly.

With a story and setting influenced by Balinese folklore and environments, you play as spirit guide Kena, a young adult who travels to a forgotten village corrupted by evil long ago where only restless spirits unable to move on remain. Seeking to restore this land's natural balance, Kena must liberate fallen spirits full of hurt and fear whom have a direct effect on the pollution. Across her journey, Kena will travel throughout the greater village area among forests, caverns, fields, and mountains in her pursuit to aid those driven to anger. With each of the troubled spirits whom Kena meets, their moment of total weakness were fueled by guilt and the sense of helplessness driven by loss which ultimately resulted in their unnerving anger. These themes greatly reminded me of a combination of the movie Princess Mononoke, TV series The Legend of Korra, and video game Flower.

As an action-adventure title ripe with platforming, Kena offers a gameplay experience that will be familiar to most. Armed with a staff that doubles as a bow, Kena utilizes three means of combat: standard melee, spirit energy, and Rot-infused attacks which rely upon the collective power from lost nature spirits who follow Kena as she discovers them one-by-one. While Kena is comparable to many titles within its genre, I find myself most reminded of of the Jak and Daxter and Horizon series. While fighting, Kena is swift and decisive in her controls and is able to utilize a wide range of attack options while freely dodging. However, one gameplay element which differs in Kena is the Rot. While they can be called upon in battle, the same can be said when freely exploring too. Working as a collective entity, the Rot assist Kena in puzzle-solving elements that one can't help but compare to Pikmin. Relying upon the puzzle and platforming gameplay elements, there are lonesome paths and dark corners to discover that provide just the right amount of collectibles to find as to not become a chore but instead an incentive to keep exploring.

Comprising three initial difficulty settings to choose from, Kena offers a challenge. Having selected the middle option of the three, I found the beginning hours especially troubling as I grappled with the game's combat controls. While the same can be said too of many boss encounters, my problems here were occurring due to the challenging, albeit forgiving, combat sequences. Across most of the game's boss encounters, I lost repeatedly. Each of these battles presents enemies with specific fighting styles and patterns to understand in order to overcome them. With an array of fighting capabilities, combat maintains feeling fresh as new techniques are regularly learned with some fights greatly benefiting from certain play styles. On that note, the difficulty settings can be changed at any moment during a playthrough. Without having played the third and fourth tier difficulty setting, I can only imagine the latter being only for those masterful of the game's combat and knowledge of enemies.

Returning back to discussing the Rot themselves, the execution of characterizing these creatures is overly successful as their human emotion and mannerisms exhibit loving, patient, and playful spirits. Replenish a small patch of crops, they'll scatter to eat their fill. Sit down to meditate, they'll meditate with you. Take a moment's rest, they'll circle around you. Travel across the land, and they'll follow you akin to ducklings following their mother. This last example showcases another small but worthwhile feature--the Rot's interactivity with the environment. While some Rot travel on foot, others sit idly along paths, ledges, or rocks while others may pop out of boxes and ceramics, but each group are always following Kena. With their wide eyes filled with a child-like wonder, they never seem to stop being in awe of the world and their new travel companion. Discovering each and every one of the Rot was fulfilling similar to finding Koroks in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, unlike Koroks, the Rot could have greatly benefited from more diversity in their initial discovery animations in addition to general physical differences.

Presenting itself with an art style heavily reminiscent of Pixar films, Kena is a fantastic example of successful art direction and graphics. I am not often one to invest time to dedicated photo modes that games may offer, but this was the first instance in many years that I routinely visited the feature throughout my playthrough to capture picturesque views and serene moments. As the corruption becomes more and more cleansed, lush forests, thriving nature, and striking architecture become reclaimed. While the greater village has been abandoned for some time, greenery is exuberant as even buildings has slowly been overtaken. Kena is but another example of some of the best-looking works adhering to a personalized style moreso than photorealism that age well in years to come.

However, Kena is by no means a perfect game as there are small issues worth noting. Unlike the Rot's successful characterization, Kena herself has little character development. Instead of Kena, the bulk of character development is instead delegated to the supporting cast whom Kena saves. While such development is diminutive for the supporting cast, the same amount if not more would have been ideal to experience. Another issue is the volume balancing. While combat volume would be high, all other sounds would not be, which did impact key cutscene moments as I became distracted to raise the sound levels. Lastly, there are some seldom non-invasive instances of glitching such as getting caught in-between level geometry. In spite of these issues, I highly praise the game's successes and especially so as the project was completed by an animation studio's first attempt in game development.

In short, Kena offers a memorable, self-contained story and environment that provides a beautiful end project which doesn't overstay its welcome. For PlayStation owners who are fans of action-adventure titles, this is not a game worth passing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 06:07:05 pm by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2022, 10:29:39 am »
6. Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Having some sort of system for playing 4X, I had done an advanced setup on my first game. Random civ, Settler difficulty, Barbarian Clans, Continents Small map, Time victory disabled. First attempt after not really knowing anything about the game and I come out with a Diplomatic Victory. I didn't really have any sort of advantage in this game as it is very different compared to Civ V. I think I like both of them equally and I would say that Civ V is actually easier to manage units vs VI. That is because the advisors do not really recommend making military units, IIRC perhaps only 1 or 2 were recommended. They also never recommend builders. Builders are like Workers but they have a limited number of actions they can complete and can't be automated.

I am really interested in the Barbarian Clans option, which appears to be the Raging Barbarians replacement. The Barbarians do not really respawn anymore, but now they can act like City States. Seeing some pictures on reddit it seems that they can be quite formidable if they are left alone. I tend to like this type of thing as I would use that against the other civs, also I typically will play as peaceful as I did in this game where I did not participate in any wars. I was asked one time but declined. I had only fought against Barbarians, Free Cities (which I did not know were treated as hostile until a few turns before victory) and Religious battle.

As I said, I didn't know what to do so I started by just building what I was being recommended. It was on my second day that I decided to focus on Faith and try to convert other cities. Since this game has a religious victory, I can't be passive on religion like in previous games. If I loose my religion then I can lose the game. I had the least amount of cities until near the end when Greece went to war with Georgia. And by that point there were no places to put a new city anyways. I had a very small army, one unit in garrison in each city and defensive building, and then 2-3 just hanging about and 1 melee ship and 1 submarine. Diplomatic Victory is earned by winning Diplomatic Victory points, which seem to mostly come from completing projects and from the world congress. I didn't really care about most votes and spent all my voting points on getting those DV points.

Here is the post-winning screen shot showing my small part of the world (yellow player on the map). I was able to easily win any of the world projects that involved giving money to other players.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2799447272

And this graph showing gold. You can see the gold amount on the previous screenshot also. I knew if I did get into a war, I would have no problems just buying what I needed. Also all that faith I could have bought things with that also. Unlike previous games, there does not seem to be a limit to the mount of things you can buy per turn.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2799447235

« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2022, 07:38:28 pm »
19. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Switch) 4/26/22

You know, for all the hours I spent playing this game over the years, I don’t think I ever actually finished it; so it felt pretty good having finally done so. No need to really say much about this game, its one of the greatest of all time, ‘nuf said. Although I will say it was a little weird playing it on a Nintendo console lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc1Tp2gOH1t/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 10:16:52 am by justin8301 »

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2022, 11:16:55 pm »
12 - The Stanley Parable (PC 2013) - BEAT - I saw that The Stanley Parable was getting a remaster with some added content and remembered that I was pretty sure I was given the original at some point for free.  I'd heard of the game for years, seen it off and on, but figured why not, I'll give it a shot and it's a goofy little game.  I don't want to spoil anything for it, so I'll just say for a game that was trying to be that whole "walking simulator" experience, with a twist, it does it in a mildly entertaining way.  It's very short, but it's a charming time.