Author Topic: FAQ and Guidelines Brainstorming Thread.  (Read 11704 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: FAQ and Guidelines Brainstorming Thread.
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »
At one point, some of my Gamestops were making it *look* like they were putting it on the artwork, but the stickers still had their non-stick backing papers on, so it was as simple as sliding them out.  Bless those considerate employees.

Gamestop needs more employees like this!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »
At one point, some of my Gamestops were making it *look* like they were putting it on the artwork, but the stickers still had their non-stick backing papers on, so it was as simple as sliding them out.  Bless those considerate employees.

There are so many stickered games floating around my area... I've seen some games on the shelf that I really wanted, but that sticker on the spine was a deal breaker...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 08:45:07 am »

There are so many stickered games floating around my area... I've seen some games on the shelf that I really wanted, but that sticker on the spine was a deal breaker...

I'm the same.

I've got "Collectoritis"...and I'm repulsed by anything loaded w/ stickers, or w/o a case & manual.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 10:06:11 am »
Just had a few questions related to the "Style Guide".

What's on there seems to be pretty comprehensive & self-explanatory.

I didn't notice a category for adding things like, memory cards & other accessories/controllers, ost's, strategy guides, etc.

Maybe some more specificity (tips/guidelines) as to what to look for/what numbers to go by for adding these things?

Also, "SWAG" is pretty vague.
Is your definition for that *everything* that's not a game, console, controller, accessory, ost, or guide?

Also, is it possible or worthwhile to list these things separately?
(By this, I mean, have guides, games, & ost's each have their own section...so when you enter say "Final Fantasy"...instead of tons of entries for all 3...maybe after entering FF...maybe a drop-down or something to "FF games", "FF guides", FF soundtracks", etc?

foxhack

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 12:50:16 pm »

I didn't notice a category for adding things like, memory cards & other accessories/controllers, ost's, strategy guides, etc.

Maybe some more specificity (tips/guidelines) as to what to look for/what numbers to go by for adding these things?

Is your definition for that *everything* that's not a game, console, controller, accessory, ost, or guide?

(By this, I mean, have guides, games, & ost's each have their own section...so when you enter say "Final Fantasy"...instead of tons of entries for all 3...maybe after entering FF...maybe a drop-down or something to "FF games", "FF guides", FF soundtracks", etc?
Memory cards and others go under "system name accessory", as in "Playstation accessory", etc. Actual systems go under hardware.

Swag is currently a catch-all category for items that we don't have a category for as of now. Strategy Guides for all systems go under "Other / Strategy Guides". There has been discussion regarding music CDs (which I do have quite a bit of to add, by the way!), but for the moment, they all go in swag.

If you want to search for "Final Fantasy", and not have it show games, just go to advanced search, type in the search words, and choose the category you want (Swag, accessory, etc.)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »

Memory cards and others go under "system name accessory", as in "Playstation accessory", etc. Actual systems go under hardware.

Swag is currently a catch-all category for items that we don't have a category for as of now. Strategy Guides for all systems go under "Other / Strategy Guides". There has been discussion regarding music CDs (which I do have quite a bit of to add, by the way!), but for the moment, they all go in swag.

If you want to search for "Final Fantasy", and not have it show games, just go to advanced search, type in the search words, and choose the category you want (Swag, accessory, etc.)

Thanks for the explanations!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
Also, I forgot to ask...is there somewhere (in your stats or profile) to keep track of how many "Edits" we have made?

On that note, what exactly 'constitutes' an edit...filling out the whole page for an entire game...or...is each & every # and bit of info. considered as an edit?

desocietas

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 05:37:05 pm »
Also, I forgot to ask...is there somewhere (in your stats or profile) to keep track of how many "Edits" we have made?

On that note, what exactly 'constitutes' an edit...filling out the whole page for an entire game...or...is each & every # and bit of info. considered as an edit?

wah lah!  http://vgcollect.com/disgaeniac/stats

i made that page custom for you; don't tell anyone  ;)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 05:40:42 pm »
One edit = one changed piece of a game profile. For example, if you changed the title, added a picture, a UPC and a product code for a single item, that counts as four edits.

One database submission is one new game entry, regardless of how complete it was.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »
One edit = one changed piece of a game profile. For example, if you changed the title, added a picture, a UPC and a product code for a single item, that counts as four edits.

One database submission is one new game entry, regardless of how complete it was.

Got it.

Do we have a way to check our own (see how many of each/both of those that we have done)?

atariboy

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 06:40:46 pm »
Click on username on collection page to get that info.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 07:03:36 pm »
Click on username on collection page to get that info.

SWEET!

That page has all sorts of potential for coolness & awesomeNESs once it's done.

I didn't even know that it existed until you just said that...so...Thanks!

atariboy

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05:40 pm »
Your welcome.  :D
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

desocietas

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:25 pm »

wah lah!  http://vgcollect.com/disgaeniac/stats

i made that page custom for you; don't tell anyone  ;)

:-\

... ha, that's what i get for tryin' to make a joke   ;D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »
Yeah, the stats page will eventually be pretty in depth. But the publishers/developers lists are kind a mess and I am currently going through it to merge dupes. We will eventually list your most owned genre, but that won't come to pass until we finally implement the updated genres lists. The pie chart has a tendency to get super cluttered, depending on how many different platforms you have.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread