Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670328 times)

abe

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10050 on: March 17, 2016, 11:45:40 am »
Amazon.co.jp can now ship to international addresses! ;D ;D ;D They don't ship everything outside of Japan though, and it needs to be from and fulfilled by Amazon.co.jp, but there's still lots of stuff you can buy from them. In particular this is great for importing games, as many of their prices and shipping fees are much better than traditional import sites like Play-Asia.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

rayne315

« Reply #10051 on: March 17, 2016, 11:46:51 am »
Is that a case of Stadium Events?  :o

Their can't be 6 stadium events in that case.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #10052 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:49 am »

There are supposedly 6 SEALED copies of SE in there.

« Reply #10053 on: March 17, 2016, 12:05:26 pm »

There are supposedly 6 SEALED copies of SE in there.
where is this at?  This is ridiculous

gf78

« Reply #10054 on: March 17, 2016, 12:09:11 pm »
I'm at work and can't see pics.  Who has a case of sealed Stadium Events games?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Warmsignal

« Reply #10055 on: March 17, 2016, 12:39:06 pm »

TheFlea picked it up on his routine game hunt.  :P

« Reply #10056 on: March 17, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »

Some guy named atwoodtm. I have no idea who he is, I just saw this on /r/gamecollecting this morning.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10057 on: March 17, 2016, 12:49:34 pm »

Some guy named atwoodtm. I have no idea who he is, I just saw this on /r/gamecollecting this morning.

I don't know that I really believe it. The guy on Nintendo Age is acting like the case itself cannot be opened because it has value? That seems really dumb. That's like saying I have a treasure chest with gold in it, but I'm not going to open it. Just trust me it's worth a ton.

« Reply #10058 on: March 17, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »

I don't know that I really believe it. The guy on Nintendo Age is acting like the case itself cannot be opened because it has value? That seems really dumb. That's like saying I have a treasure chest with gold in it, but I'm not going to open it. Just trust me it's worth a ton.
I agree, it is dumb, but I've seen this before with boxes that had sealed brand new SNES games in them.  Guy sold them for $6k a case.  I wanna say it was F-Zero or Pilotwings or something.

The box itself is collectible in this situation.  It's kind of meta, like a higher order of sealed.

But yes, totally stupid... like VGA grading stuff.

rayne315

« Reply #10059 on: March 17, 2016, 01:14:35 pm »

I agree, it is dumb, but I've seen this before with boxes that had sealed brand new SNES games in them.  Guy sold them for $6k a case.  I wanna say it was F-Zero or Pilotwings or something.

The box itself is collectible in this situation.  It's kind of meta, like a higher order of sealed.

one thing that you do have to understand is this guy is a major sealed game collector/seller his ebay account (If it is the same guy) he currently has 9 items for sale all of which are sealed. and if you look through his feedback all/most of them were sealed. I know that number isn't much but with 784 feedback and 100% satisfaction I think that this may be more real I just cant comprehend how a guy got a case of 6 sealed

http://www.ebay.com/usr/atwoodtm
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:16:45 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Warmsignal

« Reply #10060 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:36 pm »

one thing that you do have to understand is this guy is a major sealed game collector/seller his ebay account (If it is the same guy) he currently has 9 items for sale all of which are sealed. and if you look through his feedback all/most of them were sealed. I know that number isn't much but with 784 feedback and 100% satisfaction I think that this may be more real I just cant comprehend how a guy got a case of 6 sealed

http://www.ebay.com/usr/atwoodtm

Got into the video game retail biz just to get distributors to ship him product, hoarded back all of his best bets for 30 years down the line, filed bankruptcy and kept all the warez?  ??? I almost think you'd have to have been in the business at some level.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:22:08 pm by Warmsignal »

gf78

« Reply #10061 on: March 17, 2016, 01:25:20 pm »

Here's my take:  If I lucked into a sealed case of 6 copies of Stadium Events, the first thing I would do is open it up to make sure there is indeed six copies of Stadium Events in there!  Like Beloch argued in Raiders of the Lost Ark, they need to open the Ark to see if the pieces of the Ten Commandments are inside before crating it back to Berlin and presenting it to Hitler.  In other words, unless I see it...I don't believe it.

Second, while I am opposed to greedy a-holes getting sealed video games (and everything else) graded to try and artificially inflate the price, this is one time I would make an exception.  This guy obviously buys & sells sealed games.  VGA Grading carries clout among high-end collector's as it's a 3rd party verifying something as being the real deal/legitimate.  If I came into possession of this box of games, I would have each and every one graded, auction them off for huge sums of money and roll around naked on the bed with the money.  Then I would buy a Ferrari.

but hey, that's just me.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

Warmsignal

« Reply #10062 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »
It's just mind boggling that rare plastic and cardboard is worth a Ferrari. Is it really? Or is it just a sickness in the minds of collectors? It's not a precious metal. It's a video game.  Not even that, it's just the plastic. The game itself is not the valued part. :-X
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:34:57 pm by Warmsignal »

gf78

« Reply #10063 on: March 17, 2016, 01:46:41 pm »
It's just mind boggling that rare plastic and cardboard is worth a Ferrari. Is it really? Or is it just a sickness in the minds of collectors? It's not a precious metal. It's a video game.  Not even that, it's just the plastic. The game itself is not the valued part. :-X

There has to be a limit on how much something is worth to a person.  I guess if I was filthy stinking rich like all the politicians in this country, spending a quarter million dollars on a box of old ass Nintendo games wouldn't seem like a big deal. 

And when you really break it down as to the value of games as just a cartridge, boxed, sealed, etc....how crazy is it that a game cartridge/disc-the primary item you are buying-is only worth (example) $10.  But with the flimsy cardboard box and little booklet, it's worth $80.  Take that and put the original cellophane wrap that over time turns yellow and starts to damage the cardboard box it is supposed to protect on it and now it's worth $160.  Slap that slowly disintegrating package into a VGA graded case where there is now even less possibility of the game actually ever being played and you are up to $320.  You know...played?  Like...the primary function of a video game?  :o

So you've taken a $10 game that you could pop in and play, paid $310 on top of that so that you are guaranteed that you will never be able to play it.  What the hell sense does it make?

I think it's really just a case of virtual dong wagging.  A way for collector's to say "Look, my collection is bigger than yours!"  Meanwhile, while they are busy comparing their e-peens, I'm living the AC/DC song "Sink the Pink."   ;)  They're e-peen might be bigger, by my real-peen is seeing the action.  :P

And also, while a Ferrari is made of plastic, metal, rubber and some of the very same things these video games are made of, of Ferrari is a helluva lot more impressive to look at.  And if you show a box of sealed video games to a girl, she's going to call you a dork.  You show her a pretty Ferrari?  Well....use your imagination.  At least she would go for a ride in it with you and smile.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:52:06 pm by gf78 »

kashell

« Reply #10064 on: March 17, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »

And from what I can tell, the game isn't very fun.

Honestly, if I were to find a copy of Stadium Events at something like a pawn shop or a yard sale, I'd only buy it so I could give it to someone who would appreciate it. Like, I would give it turf or someone who is an avid NES collector and fan.