Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1594883 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1050 on: September 14, 2013, 09:32:49 pm »
Until holograms are a real thing, 3D is a dream.  People don't want to wear glasses to watch tv.  Even if they get the 3D working like a 3DS on a bigger scale, it's not going to happen.  People (as in me) like a big clear picture.  We don't want the hassle that come along with depth.

« Reply #1051 on: September 16, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »
Hi,
what does NA mean?
I want to add some games. I know about PAL and NTSC regions, but NA?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1052 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »
Hi,
what does NA mean?

Welcome to the site!

"NA" could, actually, mean 1 of 2 things; they are:

1).  "North America" (as an area), and/or

2).  "Not Applicable" (as in irrelevant ' does not apply).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #1053 on: September 16, 2013, 04:25:21 pm »
Hi,
what does NA mean?
NA means North America. The category covers any game released in the US, Canada, Mexico and most of South America except Brazil, which gets its own category (BR). EU is Europe, JP is Japan, AU is Australia.

We don't really categorize games by PAL / NTSC here.

Oh and make sure that the games aren't already on the database before adding new ones! Search for their game titles (without A / An / The at the beginning) or browse the platforms so you don't add duplicates by mistake.

« Reply #1054 on: September 17, 2013, 02:35:34 am »
Hm, strange.
On every other site I've seen only NTSC or PAL categorization. It's easier I think. But of course I wouldn't change your site ideas.

So, when I have EU game, and here is only NA edition, should I add "new" EU game? Is there any method to copy labels from NA game (most of them are the same) and then modify?

foxhack

« Reply #1055 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:03 pm »
Hm, strange.
On every other site I've seen only NTSC or PAL categorization. It's easier I think. But of course I wouldn't change your site ideas.

So, when I have EU game, and here is only NA edition, should I add "new" EU game? Is there any method to copy labels from NA game (most of them are the same) and then modify?
We prefer regions over video standards. ;)

If there is no EU version then you have to add it. There's currently no way to duplicate info from one entry to another, sorry.

bobster

« Reply #1056 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »
Hm, strange.

We prefer regions over video standards. ;)

If there is no EU version then you have to add it. There's currently no way to duplicate info from one entry to another, sorry.

Not to mention that EU labels are different from NA a lot of the time.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

foxhack

« Reply #1057 on: September 17, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »
And then there are country variants. Don't forget about those!

foxhack

« Reply #1058 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:14 pm »
I'm sorry for not doing much in the way of approving lately. I haven't even gone into the queue.

I've been battling with some really strong depression issues lately and something happened on the 11th that completely broke me: MobyGames, the site I used to work in, had a horrible redesign which broke quite a bit of their functionality - and the design was universally rejected by all the users and approvers. The remaining approvers and a few people kept asking for the site to get fixed but our cries were unheard until the site admins said that this design was not under their control.

Basically, the site that I helped with for close to six years is dead. And it's all GameFly's fault.

And it hurts twofold because a lot of data hosted by the site is now hidden because of this idiotic redesign, and because MobyGames has become largely irrelevant over the past three years, for whatever reason.

Yesterday, the man that singlehandedly contributed a very large part of the Chinese and Japanese library on the site finally quit. One of the founders said some appalling comments that made me glad that their password recovery option is broken because I would've posted such a large list of profanities that would make Andrew Dice Clay blush.

The site is dead.

So I'm sorry.

I'll try to resume approvals shortly.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1059 on: September 20, 2013, 09:41:49 am »
I'm sorry for not doing much in the way of approving lately. I haven't even gone into the queue.

I've been battling with some really strong depression issues lately and something happened on the 11th that completely broke me: MobyGames, the site I used to work in, had a horrible redesign which broke quite a bit of their functionality - and the design was universally rejected by all the users and approvers. The remaining approvers and a few people kept asking for the site to get fixed but our cries were unheard until the site admins said that this design was not under their control.

Basically, the site that I helped with for close to six years is dead. And it's all GameFly's fault.

And it hurts twofold because a lot of data hosted by the site is now hidden because of this idiotic redesign, and because MobyGames has become largely irrelevant over the past three years, for whatever reason.

Yesterday, the man that singlehandedly contributed a very large part of the Chinese and Japanese library on the site finally quit. One of the founders said some appalling comments that made me glad that their password recovery option is broken because I would've posted such a large list of profanities that would make Andrew Dice Clay blush.

The site is dead.

So I'm sorry.

I'll try to resume approvals shortly.

No worries :)

You're not the only one here who has to deal w/ occasional bouts of depression; trust me.

That really sucks about Moby.

While I haven't used them/been there a lot - I always liked what I saw & found there.

Out of curiosity, though...how did Gamefly fuck things up?

P.S.

I've always got more respect for someone doing what you did - "manning-up", and just putting the truth out there compared to those who just come & go silently...and don't say a word and/or just act like it's business-as-usual / nothing ever happened.

Hope you feel better soon, brother Fox!

foxhack

« Reply #1060 on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:52 pm »
Out of curiosity, though...how did Gamefly fuck things up?
It's hard to explain if you haven't been a part of the site for some time.

The admins kept promising the users that yes, there would be an update coming, and yes, there would be a new layout coming. They kept them waiting for a few years. Then the GameFly buyout happened, behind everyone's backs. I was the one that noticed the site had been bought out because I saw the GameFly at the bottom of every page. They assured us that the GameFly buyout would help the site improve.

It didn't for three years.

The new layout was in betatesting, and nobody liked it. Bugs were pointed out. Nothing got fixed. The admins started saying stuff about being patient but as we kept probing for answers we realized that they don't even have control over the site anymore. GameFly does. They're the ones calling the shots.

So all their valuable contributors and approvers left. Nothing we do or say is changing anything, so the site is a lost cause as far as everyone there was concerned. Everyone except the admins and owners. GameFly's still getting their advertising money no matter what happens.

Not a single news site reported on the change. I sent tips to a few. Nobody cared.

... anyway the queue's cleared up but a new user flooded the European databases with a ton of dupes x_x

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1061 on: September 21, 2013, 09:08:19 am »
Then the GameFly buyout happened, behind everyone's backs. I was the one that noticed the site had been bought out because I saw the GameFly at the bottom of every page. They assured us that the GameFly buyout would help the site improve.

It didn't for three years.

The new layout was in betatesting, and nobody liked it. Bugs were pointed out. Nothing got fixed. The admins started saying stuff about being patient but as we kept probing for answers we realized that they don't even have control over the site anymore. GameFly does. They're the ones calling the shots.

Not a single news site reported on the change. I sent tips to a few. Nobody cared.

That's really a shame, man  :'(

I take it that there was a...dis-connect at the site between the owners/Admins & the rest of the community that allowed such a buy-out to take place discretely like that and remain hidden (until you noticed what you did)?

It reminds me of CJayC's whole "Gamefaqs will never strip the soul out of the site by selling-out/merging with Gamespot and/or anyone else".

Which brings me to (yet another) aspect of this site that I like so much -and- one that keeps me coming back here, and explains why I've been, pretty much, considering this as my "main" site / On-Line Home for awhile now...which is, of course, the interaction & respect and familiarity here between Matt, the Admins, and the rest of the community.

The whole lack of the "Us and them" / "Us vs. them" feelings & attitudes that are so rampant at many other sites  8)

Then again, IMO, a lot of it also has to do with us being really lucky with the...'quality' of just about all of our community + staff here (SOERA being the only unknown quantity/questionable one/ one to keep an eye on at all times); of course  ;D

scott

« Reply #1062 on: September 21, 2013, 09:12:57 am »
Sorry guys, I haven't been around much. Work and house stuff has overwhelmed me completely. I haven't had much time to do anything other than housework after work. Over the course of the last month, I've had a bunch of minor problems all snowball on me and I've been needing to fix them before things got any worse. I've been jokingly calling the house my Money Pit.

On the work front, since my Dad has been in the office more than usual and I'm the one hitting the road for parts runs. I've not been able to check in on the site as much as I'd like. And it's not exactly smiled upon when he sees me "playing on the internet" at work.

As of a couple days ago, I've been trying to focus on the site more often than I have. And I was in the admin panel logging the stats (which I completely boned for the last 2 months worth). I had planned on doing approvals too, but again didn't get the chance.

Next week I am stuck at my folk's house for a week or so while I dog sit. Which means I'll not have a lot of things to keep my occupied, so I should be able to get back into full swing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #1063 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:23 am »
(SOERA being the only unknown quantity/questionable one/ one to keep an eye on at all times); of course  ;D

Only cause I rise above !!!! :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1064 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:20 am »
(SOERA being the only unknown quantity/questionable one/ one to keep an eye on at all times); of course  ;D

Only cause I rise above !!!! :D

I know...you're like...smoke; man  ;)