Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275775 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2175 on: July 23, 2022, 05:18:06 pm »
Nope - A wild ride from start to finish.  I went in blind other than the first trailer and one thing about the concept.  This kept me on the edge of my seat throughout my runtime.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:15:09 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2176 on: July 24, 2022, 01:19:25 am »
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - And the movies finish with a wet fart of an ending lol I will say, it's generally different than the previous ones, almost for the better, because Anderson stopped with a lot of the action style he had before, which was pretty much late 90's/early 00's slow-mo shots and cheesy wide action posing, but he instead replaced it with almost incomprehensibly edited close ups.  Like that meme'd scene from one of the Taken movies where there's like 13 cuts just to show Liam Neeson hopping a fence, it's on the verge of being that most of the time.  Which is annoying, because there's some kinda alright ideas here that if they were done in a better movie, they could've been kinda cool, but otherwise feel wasted.  This movie came out in 2016.  John Wick came out in 2014.  Dredd came out in 2012, The Raid came out in 2011, this movie had no excuse being this terrible.

The story is worse than ever, they outright retcon stuff from previous movies just so they can do the story they wanted.  The initial outbreak? All planned, even though it makes no sense to then try and stop it in Resident Evil: Apocalypse.  They retcon out Ashford and his daughter, who was the representation of the Red Queen in the movies, all to shove it into this new ending they wanted to have.  Remember those fan favorite characters they brought back? All of them died off screen except for Claire.  Leon, Ada, Chris, Jill, even the last surviving original characters they had died, all because Alice is the best and she's the only one that matters.

I still don't truly know why I went to watch the whole series, I'm not normally a person that "hate watches" something, but I guess it was morbid curiosity, just to see if they were as bad as I thought and generally they were.  This is how I'd rank the movies, and I'm mostly only putting the series below the main movies, due to it being a series.  If I was forced to watch one of the movies or the series, even if I think there's better stuff in general happening in the series, I'd would pick a movie.  They are aren't good other than the first one, but way shorter to sit through and at the very least are mostly just a bunch of dumb action flicks.

1. Resident Evil (2002)
2. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
3. Resident Evil: Extinction
4. Resident Evil: Retribution
5. Resident Evil: Afterlife
6. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
7. Resident Evil: The Series
8. Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City

« Reply #2177 on: July 24, 2022, 11:52:31 am »
Enter the Dragon - Fun as hell.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - An incredible amount of filmmaking artistry is on display here (the framing structure is sublime!), but the script is often too on the nose (especially in the first half).  Despite some jarring surrealism you can feel this movie eating away at your cynicism. Lovely.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:06:59 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2178 on: July 25, 2022, 04:52:48 pm »
Legend of the Red Dragon - My favorite martial arts film I've seen in quite some time.

We Hot American Summer - "I said NO!" is one of my favorite line deliveries of all time.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On - Friendship with Paddington ended.  Now Marcel is my best friend.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - A little slow paced for only being 85 minutes, but still a good watch.  Surprisingly bloody and a little sleazy.  Excited to watch the next one now that the origin story is out of the way.

They Live - Well this has aged like the finest bourbon in the nicest solid oak casks you've ever seen.

Prey - Amber Midthunder crushed it.  Solidly the second best in the franchise.  So happy to see a Predator just hunting for sport again, and loved this big fella had real personality.

A League of Their Own - A great feel good story with a deep cast that rules the school.  It is a bit too saccharine, and a hair unfocused - the messaging often at odds with how the story is told.  Still solid as hell overall.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - Better than the first in pretty much every way.

Beetlejuice - Keeps getting funnier, every single time I see it.

The Artist - Part of me wants to say "That's it?" but it's also a movie that does everything it sets out to do expertly.  I won't say it's an undeserving Best Picture winner, but it reinforces my belief that 2011 was a relatively weak year, cinematically.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 07:52:06 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2179 on: August 11, 2022, 04:39:12 am »
Prey (2022) - I heard the good things leading up to it and I was not disappointed.  It's easily the best Predator movie they've done since the first two original films, and I'd probably say it's my second favorite after the first movie.  It just nails the essence of the concept...Predator and Prey, Hunter vs Hunter, and here, it's very stripped down to that pure survival feel due to the setting.  Everything with the Predator is great, really nails the intimidation factor with it and I loved the lead girls story.  It's a simple story, a Comanche girl who believes herself to be a warrior, despite everyone in the village being against it, who has a unique skillset that works for her, being that she isn't as strong as the other warriors of her village.  They are also very reserved in their callbacks to the first movie as they could've very easily gone down the direction of just repeating the first movie, kinda what Predators did, but this has its own stuff, while bringing in those few nods that make sense with the story.

Big recommend, it's a very solid movie.

telly

« Reply #2180 on: August 11, 2022, 10:58:38 am »
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On - Absolutely adored this movie. Really cute characters. Beautiful, intimate setting and a very touching story, even if it doesn't have much going on.

Nope - Thought this was pretty good. About halfway the movie makes a large shift from horror to action. Felt like the least "horror" out of Peele's movies. Loved the ideas behind the alien, with some really great action, horror, and comedic moments. Some of the characters made some decisions that felt a little strange, particularly the filmmaker. Also really didn't like the emotionless and played straight lead character very much.

Legally Blonde - One of my gf's favorites as a kid. Quite the funny silly movie with some honestly good messaging. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2181 on: August 12, 2022, 09:37:11 pm »
Hot Shots! - Actually has more a coherent through plot than Top Gun.  Also, more care was probably put into giving Cary Elwes the American flag helmet than any Seltzer and Friedberg movie.

Hot Shots! Part Deux - Takes bigger swings than the first, nabbed Basil for the score, and has Miguel Ferrer giving one of my favorite line readings of all time. Superior sequel.

Wanderlust - It's a teen "save the camp" comedy but for adults and has an amazing comedic bench.

Muppets from Space - Easily the bottom of the the list of the theatrical Muppets releases.  Oddly suffers from too much focus?  The straightforward plot seems to reign in the chaos, and a lot if the jokes are too obvious.

Bodies Bodies Bodies - Fun and funny, with great performances from the whole cast.  Loved the score.  The script did get too obvious at points, though.

The Hidden - Totally wild 80s sci-fi action can't believe I'd never seen before.  Not amazing, but a fun fun time.

Tremors - One of the best creature features ever made.  Great characters, creature design, pacing.

Little Women - Not sure how I dodged this in the 90s.  Has maybe about 15-20% too much "golly gee" for me, but worth a watch.

Catwoman - Not as bad as I expected, but still total garbage.

Jaws: The Return - Very, very bad.  More boring than I remembered.  Barely has a coherent plot.

Ninja - Still a dumb fun time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:42:56 am by Cartagia »

gngtiger

« Reply #2182 on: August 24, 2022, 12:43:34 pm »
I watched 2 classics for the first time last week: The Matrix and Jaws. Does anyone else think Quint looks like jschlatt?

« Reply #2183 on: August 24, 2022, 09:41:25 pm »
Children of Men - One of the most harrowing, technically impressive, prescient, and stunning films ever made. Cuaron's masterpiece.

« Reply #2184 on: August 24, 2022, 09:58:00 pm »
Took my rare trip to the movie theater and watched Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero and had a blast with it.  I may not be in love with Dragon Ball as much as I use to these days, I feel like Dragon Ball Super wore me down with being generally weak, but we've got some decent movies out of it with Battle of Gods, Broly, and now Super Hero.  The biggest difference of Super Hero is it being mostly CG.  They do regular hand drawn stuff in flashback stuff, but the main brunt of the movie is CG and it's great.  The characters really match close to the classic art style, but with 3D, it lets them do more visually than they normally can with hand drawn.  Some of the background stuff at times isn't the best, but that didn't bother me much really.

The story is kinda cliche Dragon Ball in a lot of parts, lots of convenient "forgetting" and mishaps that you kinda just let slide because it's Dragon Ball , but this movie is about showing  love to classic Dragon Ball and the side characters.  This movie is primarily a Piccolo film, I never expected that to happen, but he's awesome, we get some adorable stuff with Pan, Gohan is nice to see back and getting a push, and I ended up enjoying the villains, particularly Gamma 1 and 2 who are fun characters.  The final fight does fall into that same sorta weak writing that Dragon Ball is known for, which is just bring back a classic villain, because it's all they can think of doing, but I think it works enough in this story they want to tell.

Overall I had a great time with it.  It could be my favorite Dragon Ball movie, passing Broly, because I like it more from beginning to end.  Broly is a good movie, but it's mostly just all setup so that you can have a long ass fight against Broly and I never loved that they used three different animation styles in the actual fight, compared to Super Hero that is primarily all CG and it looks awesome.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2185 on: August 24, 2022, 10:08:29 pm »
Took my rare trip to the movie theater and watched Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero and had a blast with it.  I may not be in love with Dragon Ball as much as I use to these days, I feel like Dragon Ball Super wore me down with being generally weak, but we've got some decent movies out of it with Battle of Gods, Broly, and now Super Hero.  The biggest difference of Super Hero is it being mostly CG.  They do regular hand drawn stuff in flashback stuff, but the main brunt of the movie is CG and it's great.  The characters really match close to the classic art style, but with 3D, it lets them do more visually than they normally can with hand drawn.  Some of the background stuff at times isn't the best, but that didn't bother me much really.

The story is kinda cliche Dragon Ball in a lot of parts, lots of convenient "forgetting" and mishaps that you kinda just let slide because it's Dragon Ball , but this movie is about showing  love to classic Dragon Ball and the side characters.  This movie is primarily a Piccolo film, I never expected that to happen, but he's awesome, we get some adorable stuff with Pan, Gohan is nice to see back and getting a push, and I ended up enjoying the villains, particularly Gamma 1 and 2 who are fun characters.  The final fight does fall into that same sorta weak writing that Dragon Ball is known for, which is just bring back a classic villain, because it's all they can think of doing, but I think it works enough in this story they want to tell.

Overall I had a great time with it.  It could be my favorite Dragon Ball movie, passing Broly, because I like it more from beginning to end.  Broly is a good movie, but it's mostly just all setup so that you can have a long ass fight against Broly and I never loved that they used three different animation styles in the actual fight, compared to Super Hero that is primarily all CG and it looks awesome.

I saw this last Friday. It was a fun Dragon Ball movie. Not too serious, but still had some very cool moments. At first it was a little too cheesy, IMO, when the android superheroes show up. Especially the Batman '66 style sound-effects onscreen (which Picollo poked fun at, lol). But it definitely got better.

I hope this means we get more DB Super on T.V. soon. I really liked it. The future saga and return of Frieza especially.

« Reply #2186 on: August 25, 2022, 12:14:54 am »
I hope this means we get more DB Super on T.V. soon. I really liked it. The future saga and return of Frieza especially.

I wasn't a big fan of Super, especially when they rehashed the first two movies in episode form, but just made them worse.  There's bits I like throughout, some hype moments for sure, but in general I just wasn't in love with any arc in particular.  I'm not sure when we'll see Super return, I think they are waiting on more manga to be finished before they start adapting again.  I think they are almost done with the second arc after the Tournament of Power, and that matches up to the amount of chapters they had to adapt for the first run, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see it return next year.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:18:29 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2187 on: August 27, 2022, 12:50:56 pm »
The Shootist - John Wayne was never an amazing actor, but when he was paired with right material, as he is here, in what is maybe his best performance, he was capable of incredible magnetism and gravitas. He manages to deconstruct his career, and the genre (even if unintentionally), in a way that wouldn't be surpassed until Eastwood's Unforgiven.  This is all aided by the shockingly modern camerawork which makes things feel more intimate.

Wild Bill - Everyone involved deserved better.  Adds up to less than the sum of its parts.

Three Thousand Years of Longing -  It's good, but kind of falls apart in the third act.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:42:25 pm by Cartagia »

jipsy

« Reply #2188 on: August 30, 2022, 10:32:12 pm »
Just watched Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, and Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. I never really got into Dragon Ball and now I regret it. The fight scenes are amazing and the hand drawn animation is some of the best I've seen in a long time.
Jipsy

« Reply #2189 on: September 01, 2022, 08:57:48 pm »
Crimewave - My expectations were low and it limboed right under them.

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Why are these two stories together?  Still somehow mostly works.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Stands tall as one of the greatest revenge films ever made, eclipsing many, if not most, of the films it is inspired by.

Dazed and Confused - Maybe the greatest hangout movie ever made.

The Martian - Just an all around comfort film for me.

Nothing but Trouble - Gross and bad.  Great production design, though.

Stone Cold - The last great 80s style action flick.  The last act is insane.

Barry Lyndon - A story that hardly seems it would justify its 3 hour runtime, it fills those hours with a confident yet leisurely pace and is never dull. It's the kind of film that shows you just why Kubrick was so revered. Might just be my favorite of his now.

The Clash of the Titans remake is a boring drab CGI snooze that totally wastes a great supporting cast.

Morbius - Matt Smith seems to be having fun, at least?

Elvis - A movie made of two ingedients: cocaine and electricity.

The Raid - The only movie other than Mad Max: Fury Road that might have a claim on best action movie since 2000.

Barbarian - Takes a little too long to get going, but once it really gets going you better buckle the fuck up. Comparisons to Malignant are not unfounded, but it is not nearly as unhinged as that film. That is counterbalanced by the stronger performances across the board here.

Apollo 13 - Ron Howard's best.  All the day-to-day workmanlike nonsense stuff is incredible, but the not all of the family drama works.  The nightmare scene and Lovell's moonwalk daydream feel pretty out if place.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 08:06:12 pm by Cartagia »