Author Topic: Games or Franchises that need a sequel.  (Read 7993 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Games or Franchises that need a sequel.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:48 pm »
Shenmue 2 needs a sequel.  8)
Although I didn't like the first one so I never played the second, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to ask for it.

Shenmue 3... kickstarter... I guess my post was noticed. Your welcome, world!

I guess Yu Suzuki is looking at crowdfunding to get rights from SEGA. Most realistically, it would be continued in a manga or anime. Honestly, I would LOVE a manga to be done to finish the series. Too bad I am pessimistic about it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/04/yu-suzuki-thinking-about-crowdfunding-for-shenmue-3/

Could be better than the mega64 "how shenmue ends"

I really don't understand Sega's reluctance to make Shenmue 3. 10 years ago, yeah, I'd understand. Sega was still a somewhat healthy company with a line of hits on their hands.

Fast-forward to today, and the only thing of worth they have is Sonic. Seems like Sega would be getting the better end of that deal with a big name like Yu Suzuki attached to it, and the amount of fans waiting like rabid dogs for this game to be made.

jcalder8

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:06:17 pm »
Shenmue 2 needs a sequel.  8)
Although I didn't like the first one so I never played the second, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to ask for it.

Shenmue 3... kickstarter... I guess my post was noticed. Your welcome, world!

I guess Yu Suzuki is looking at crowdfunding to get rights from SEGA. Most realistically, it would be continued in a manga or anime. Honestly, I would LOVE a manga to be done to finish the series. Too bad I am pessimistic about it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/04/yu-suzuki-thinking-about-crowdfunding-for-shenmue-3/

Could be better than the mega64 "how shenmue ends"

I really don't understand Sega's reluctance to make Shenmue 3. 10 years ago, yeah, I'd understand. Sega was still a somewhat healthy company with a line of hits on their hands.

Fast-forward to today, and the only thing of worth they have is Sonic. Seems like Sega would be getting the better end of that deal with a big name like Yu Suzuki attached to it, and the amount of fans waiting like rabid dogs for this game to be made.
You haven't played any sonic games recently have you? lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:00:12 am »
^ It's not the mid-2000s anymore. We've been getting some good Sonic games as of late: Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors, Sonic the Hedgehog 4. And Sonic CD released on XBox Live.

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 07:44:49 pm »
Also, the statement that sonic is the only franchise WORTH anything was a fairly accurate statement for the mid 2000s as well. At least, financially. Binary Domain... great game, did not sell. Sonic 2006... PLATINUM/GREATEST-HITS edition.

Sonic sells. It is worth a lot. They just aren't usually fun.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »
Sales figures aside, I'll take a new Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, or Jet Set Radio over yet another Sonic game any day of the week.

Actually, even just a new Panzer Dragoon RPG would pretty much rock my face off, so uh... could you get on that, Sega?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 08:01:23 pm »
Also, the statement that sonic is the only franchise WORTH anything was a fairly accurate statement for the mid 2000s as well. At least, financially. Binary Domain... great game, did not sell. Sonic 2006... PLATINUM/GREATEST-HITS edition.

Sonic sells. It is worth a lot. They just aren't usually fun.

Okay, yeah. But in the mid-2000s, their name hadn't been tarnished, yet. They were still releasing games like Panzer Dragoon: Orta, Shinobi (PS2), and Shenmue II. Which were fantastic titles. Nowadays it seems all they care to do is release Sonic games and classic compilations. I'd like the classic compilations more, except we keep seeing the same Genesis titles released ad nauseum. Give us a Saturn collection if you're gonna keep giving us compilations, Sega!

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »
I'd like the classic compilations more, except we keep seeing the same Genesis titles released ad nauseum. Give us a Saturn collection if you're gonna keep giving us compilations, Sega!

This seems to have stopped as well. Virtual On and Virtua Strikers have been announced as Japan only for downloads.

insektmute

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 08:41:58 pm »
My gripe with Sega is the same one I have with a lot of Japanese companies right now, which is that they're tossing internal development aside in favor of hiring third parties to do more Western-style games. There's a conscious effort to steer away from things that might be construed as "too Japanese" because they all want a taste of the kind of sales figures that series like Call of Duty can pull down, and this sentiment is heavily reinforced by US and European gaming sites.

Sega seems to have a particular affinity for sending their games off to die, though. Just look at Valkyria Chronicles.

sin2beta

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:09 pm »

Sega seems to have a particular affinity for sending their games off to die, though. Just look at Valkyria Chronicles.

They have always had this affinity. Franchises rarely make it to the next console. Sonic was always the exception to an extent. Poor Alex Kidd...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:00 pm »
My gripe with Sega is the same one I have with a lot of Japanese companies right now, which is that they're tossing internal development aside in favor of hiring third parties to do more Western-style games. There's a conscious effort to steer away from things that might be construed as "too Japanese" because they all want a taste of the kind of sales figures that series like Call of Duty can pull down, and this sentiment is heavily reinforced by US and European gaming sites.

Just some neat info I know about Sega after reading The Ultimate History of Gaming:

Sega actually isn't a Japanese company, or at least wasn't for many, many years. It was an American company, based in Japan. They had American businessmen as their founders. Sega, while it sounds like a Japanese name, is actually short for Service Games. They started as an amusement game manufacturer for overseas military bases, hence why they're based in Japan.

It wasn't until they merged with Sammy in 2004 that they had an actual claim to any Japanese origins.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 11:22:49 pm »

I don't think that's true - they're still producing *very* "Japanese style" games, they're just keeping them in Japan. Hatsune Miku anything, Shining series, Sangokushi Taisen,  etc. Valkyria Chronicles didn't "go off to die", Sega put it on the format with the best sales-to-dev-cost in Japan. Falcom didn't release all their games on PSP by accident, it's (still!) a significant and profitable format in Japan.

As for Shenmue... I don't have a lot of sympathy for Yu Suzuki on that one. He farted around for years on it (this video alone proves that he'd already got up to Shenmue 2 on the Saturn) and spent millions, if the rumours are to be believed to the point where every Dreamcast owner needed to buy multiple copies for the game to break even. Sega's support for the game can't be faulted IMO, but you can't blame them for not funding Shenmue 3 when history proves that it would have been cheaper for them to flush $10,000,000 down the toilet than make another Shenmue.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:01:44 am by kimimi »

scott

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:24 am »
I dunno I guess I just don't understand Shenmue. I tried it and retried it and just couldn't get into it at all.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 12:37:28 am »
I dunno I guess I just don't understand Shenmue. I tried it and retried it and just couldn't get into it at all.

I honestly don't think most people like Shenmue. Hence the sales. It's just people who like the game (like me) won't shut up about it.

It also was a lot of people's first open world game of that scale. I think that is why it sticks with me so much.

insektmute

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:11 am »
I don't think that's true - they're still producing *very* "Japanese style" games, they're just keeping them in Japan. Hatsune Miku anything, Shining series, Sangokushi Taisen,  etc. Valkyria Chronicles didn't "go off to die", Sega put it on the format with the best sales-to-dev-cost in Japan. Falcom didn't release all their games on PSP by accident, it's (still!) a significant and profitable format in Japan.

That's true, and I should've probably clarified that I meant in the international sense of things, their approach has been relatively fragmented. With the first Valkyria, for example, marketing outside of Japan didn't really pick up until the game was about $15, and putting Valkyria 2 on PSP was basically a death rattle that guaranteed we wouldn't see Valkyria 3... and we didn't.

Things like that demonstrate a lack of faith in their ability to present their Japanese games effectively here, so instead, they've put more focus on companies like Relic and Gearbox who can develop Western games. It makes sense that they want to broaden their audience, and I get why they're apprehensive about releasing certain games outside of Japan, but it's disheartening to see more and more games kept from localization.

Sega's support for the game can't be faulted IMO, but you can't blame them for not funding Shenmue 3 when history proves that it would have been cheaper for them to flush $10,000,000 down the toilet than make another Shenmue.

Totally agreed here. Much as I'd like to see Shenmue 3, I'm not one of those people that expects it would ever happen - the project was hemmoraging money long before they even got the first game out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:21:07 am by insektmute »

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:21 pm »
gitarooman 2
timesplitters 4
starwars battle front 3
speed punks 2
mutant league football 2
road rash 4
skitchin 2
and a new super puzzle fighter

these are the games i would love to see