Author Topic: Board Games!  (Read 16833 times)

jobocan

Board Games!
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:17:18 pm »
I'm surprised we haven't made a topic about these yet, since they're very similar to video games and I figure some of the people here play these games.

I'm in a bit of board game mood right now and looking for new games to play/buy and figured I'd ask what you guys like, maybe it'll give me ideas and we can basically all recommend games to each other.... I'll post later but first I wanna see what you guys think!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Board Games!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:27:59 pm »

I want this game back, soooo badly. But I was seeing it go for around $100, used. Unless I get lucky and find it a flea mart for cheap, I don't think I'll be doing any board-game dungeon-raiding anytime soon.  :(

It's such a cool game, too. You get to battle monsters and creatures, gain gold and treasure, cast spells. It really feels like a D&D video game, on a board.

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:39:01 pm »

I want this game back, soooo badly. But I was seeing it go for around $100, used. Unless I get lucky and find it a flea mart for cheap, I don't think I'll be doing any board-game dungeon-raiding anytime soon.  :(

It's such a cool game, too. You get to battle monsters and creatures, gain gold and treasure, cast spells. It really feels like a D&D video game, on a board.

If my searching is right, this just got a reprint last year:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dungeon-Board-Game-by-Wizards-RPG-Team-NEW-/130882017222?pt=AU_Non_Fiction_Books_2&hash=item1e792d17c6&_uhb=1#ht_1889wt_983

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
Before talking about specific board games, here's what I've been doing recently when a game catches my attention:
http://www.dicetower.com/game_reviews.html (or you can check their youtube channel)

I check if these guys reviewed it. If you check alphabetically, you'll see they reviewed a TON of games and in general give me a good idea of if I'll like a game or not.

Note - Dungeon! even cheaper: https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=026556 (and if you do a 75$ order in the US you get free shipping)

soera

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:16 pm »
That game looks fun! I wouldnt mind playing that. :)

scott

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:33:48 pm »
Super Dungeon Explore is really fun, but you have to justify the $100 price tag.

I really like playing Small World too, it's like Risk, on a smaller scale and with fantasy races.

Descent is another really good dungeon crawling game, but I believe it's expensive too.

One that I really want to get my hands on is Zombicide, which is a zombie apocalypse survival game. But it's also like $80. And the just finished up a Kickstarter to add some expansions to it!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:36:31 pm »
I'm just a vanilla trivia guy. I've been playing Trivia Pursuit as long as I can remember. These days though, I play a lot of Hi Ho Cherry-O and Hungry Hungry Herd.

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:23:45 pm »
For me my favorites are shorter games and party games. Stuff like Bang! or Cards Against Humanity and Say Anything and Munchkin. Quick games that you can play for a while and that stay fun the whole time.
I also really like abstract games, stuff like GIPF, Go, Gemblo, Hey That's My Fish, Pentago, Tsuro. Not fast games all the time (damn friends taking years to make single moves in Go when I tell them the game is done already and they can just stop playing), but fun and strategic. Oh, and if you want something cool check out Khet, you shoot actual lasers in that one :D
I've been getting into a few other games now like some deck-building ones (Dominion, Resident Evil) and some coop games (Ghost Stories (which is awesome and crazy impossibly hard) and Pandemic), but I am expanding my horizons a bit.

Also been doing a few kickstarters which I think is a pretty good idea for board games. So far I received Gemblo, Kanzume Goddess and Tentacle Bento (sort of kickstarter) from there. I'm waiting on a couple more too that should come out soon.

One of my big issues with some games is time... I can barely pay attention to a single game that takes 2 hours to finish... That means, no matter how awesome Twilight Imperium may be, I'll never play it because it lasts 8 hours. I played through a game of Shogun once (which is a great game) but by the end (almost 3 hours) I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm always looking for more games though. Yesterday I just ordered a few and I'm starting to make a wishlist of games for future orders. I hope to have a room filled with board games eventually :p

scott

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:41:05 am »
I helped fund a game called Guilds of Cadwallon a while back and that looks like it'll be a pretty fast and fun game. You might want to watch for that when it launches.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/guilds-of-cadwallon

scott

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:21:44 am »
If we are talking card based games too. Then I have to mention:

Dominion and its expansion sets.
Citadels

Also back to board games, you wouldn't think it, but Puerto Rico is a really fun and fast game.

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:58 am »
Yeah I also count card-based games here, or dice-based. Though I'm not very much into stuff like Magic because you constantly need to be pouring money into it (I passed that phase in high school when I played Yu-Gi-Oh), but card-based stuff like Dominion and Citadels and Bang are definitely my cup of tea. I actually just got a card game called Sentinels of the Multiverse which is sounding pretty cool.

I may need to check out Puerto Rico, I keep hearing good things about it.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:02 am »
I was that weird, boring kid who enjoyed word and vocabulary-based games growing up, like Balderdash and UpWords. Still, can't tell you how many times I played Jumanji. I miss that game. I dusted it off a few months ago only to find that several pieces were missing, and a complete used set seems to be quite pricey nowadays. :'(  I always wanted to try out that Pac Man board game.

EDIT: I take that back. Jumanji's price seems to have gone down a bit since I last checked. Time for a nostalgia trip. ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:33:12 am by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

brunauss

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »
I have a growing collection of board games as well. They are stacked from floor to ceiling and cover the full width of my four foot wide hall closet.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

jobocan

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
I have a growing collection of board games as well. They are stacked from floor to ceiling and cover the full width of my four foot wide hall closet.

Nice. Any standouts, or under-rated games in there?