Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 26987 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

New XBox Reveal on May 21
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Got this in my email today from Microsoft:

sin2beta

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:52:02 pm »
Tuesday at 10 am?!? I'll be at work. I wonder if XBox knows that most people work... #DealWithIt
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:49 am »
Tuesday at 10 am?!? I'll be at work. I wonder if XBox knows that most people work... #DealWithIt

This post is so full of WIN!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:21:23 am »
10 am PDT... unless I'm forgetting something, that's 7 am over here... I'll be able to watch it before going to work, yay. My expectations are so low nothing they say will be able to hype me up :D

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:25:12 am »
I'm actually pretty excited about it. So far I have been underwhelmed with the next gen announcements.  If they show a next gen Forza, I'm probably in. I'm also pretty certain that the no used games, always on DRM, XBox will become sentient and kill your puppy rumors to be false. I suspect it to always be on for friend alerts, behind the scenes updating, and the such. But I don't htink it will be anything like Diablo 3 or sim city. I just hope they actually roll out some strong franchises for the launch.

brunauss

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »
I can wait for what ever is published about it on Youtube. Frankly my experience with the 360 has been a real disappointing experience. If wasn't for the great exclusive games, I would have sold it years ago. Microsoft does nothing that impresses me any more. Even their new console is another me-too console.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
EDIT: Reading over the post, it seems like this is directed at brunauss. It is not. More just the general feeling I get from multiple posts and such about being disappointed with the 360. brunauss just mentioned something I have seen a lot lately that I am confused by.

I'm surprised by all of the Microsoft hate. Am I the only person here who thinks that the 360 and the PS3 are essentially the same system? I know Mark of Classic Game Room has mentioned this several times. Same with Adam Koralik. But seriously, where does all the hate come from? Same games... same capabilities...

I can understand the hate of Microsoft as a company. I have been a linux or Apple user my whole life and really dislike Windows at a moral level. But I feel if you hate Microsoft you also should hate Sony. In my opinion, Sony is a much more evil company. Microsoft is just the lesser of two evils.

Moreover a lot of arguments I see are full of contradicting statements...

Frankly my experience with the 360 has been a real disappointing experience.... Microsoft does nothing that impresses me any more.

sandwiches this quote

If wasn't for the great exclusive games, I would have sold it years ago.

Honestly, it just seems fashionable to hate the system right now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:42:13 pm by sin2beta »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »
I may be in the minority but I'm a Xbox fan.  Sure, the 360 and PS3 do the same thing; but I like the 360 better.  On top of that, Sony is the devil.  As long as I can play used games and the games will play without being online, I'll get the next Xbox.

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:02:30 pm »
I'm surprised by all of the Microsoft hate. Am I the only person here who thinks that the 360 and the PS3 are essentially the same system?

That's my problem with that particular generation really, both of the "big" consoles were pretty much the exact same thing in regards to library, you could pick either of them and not really miss much of anything.

The only differences is that the 360's online was laggier, way overpriced and filled with ads, and I much prefer the PS3's controller (that horrible 360 d-pad made the simple task of navigating menus way more complicated than it needs to). The PS3 also had the more interesting exclusives (maybe I'm just saying that because of Disgaea and inFamous... and I'm not counting "equivalents" like Halo/Killzone, Gears/Uncharted, Forza/GT).

The only reason I have both is because of the bullet-hell shooters on the 360. Otherwise I'd have never touched the thing.

brunauss

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 02:08:30 am »
I'm not a hater and did not intend to be thought of as such. I'm disappointed in Microsoft Xbox because they can do better with the console itself and simply don't. The 360 completely depends on those exclusive games, online service and their marketing to carry it. But Microsoft makes these decisions, not me. I just don't want companies like Microsoft declaring foul, should a competitor come along with something that can carry itself unaided successfully. Sadly, I can see Microsoft being the first to attack said competitor.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:10:04 am by brunauss »
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:29:51 am »
The 360 completely depends on those exclusive games, online service and their marketing to carry it.

I don't understand why these are complaints. These are things that all successful consoles do.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:57:44 am »
I'm surprised by all of the Microsoft hate. Am I the only person here who thinks that the 360 and the PS3 are essentially the same system? I know Mark of Classic Game Room has mentioned this several times. Same with Adam Koralik. But seriously, where does all the hate come from? Same games... same capabilities...

I can understand the hate of Microsoft as a company. I have been a linux or Apple user my whole life and really dislike Windows at a moral level. But I feel if you hate Microsoft you also should hate Sony. In my opinion, Sony is a much more evil company. Microsoft is just the lesser of two evils.

I don't think anyone necessarily disagrees, and from my perspective, Sony, Microsoft, Apple, and Nintendo are equally guilty of doing evil shit over the years. So it really just comes down to precedent and personal preference. I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences with the PS1, PS2, and PS3, with each one offering up a great library of games and, barring my launch day PS2 developing disc read problems, the hardware has been solid and reliable. I also see them putting a lot of money and time into unusual stuff like Tokyo Jungle and LocoRoco, and whether those efforts are successful or not, I think it's a sign that they're at least trying.

By contrast, I've had good experiences with Nintendo hardware, and I especially love the DS and 3DS, but with their post-SNES consoles, I've been disappointed by a lot of their technical decisions, and have found it difficult at times to justify owning them, though there are some really great GameCube and Wii games out there. Even so, while I think their efforts are sometimes misguided, they do seem to be trying hard to become more well-rounded and in some ways, get back to their roots.

I don't have the first Xbox, but my experience with the Xbox 360 has soured me on Microsoft for a lot of reasons. My first system developed the red ring of death within the first three months, despite sitting on a fairly open air stand with no back or sides, and sounded like a jet engine when turned on. Before and after receiving the replacement from their support center, I had consistent issues where the disc suddenly seize up as unreadable while playing, even on completely brand new games. When I attempted to file a complaint with the BBB after the replacement started acting up, I received calls from Microsoft reps every single day, trying to get me to close it - I gave up after about a week or so, just so they would leave me alone, and the only thing ever offered was to send it to the same repair center I had before. Their cases used to be reasonably sturdy, but have now been changed to be as cheap and flimsy as possible. The user interface is crowded with ads and other nonsensical shit like Bing, to the extent that it's actually making it more of a pain in the ass to even get to game related things.

I could go on, but the point is, they had their shot to impress me, and they failed in virtually every way possible. I'm willing to give their next console a shot, but I need to see a lot more before I'm willing to give even an inch, and so far, the only semblance of PR that I've seen has been some prick of an executive telling people to "deal with" always-on gaming. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence. That's just my experience, though - I know plenty of people who absolutely love all things Xbox, and if my initial experience had been with the Slim model I currently have, my feelings might be a little more positive, too.

scott

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:18:48 am »
I love my 360. Love the controller, and the games and especially the ability to play a game without having to wait for it to install. The Live Arcade is awesome. I've never had a problem with their online speeds and they've always been stable. And if there was a problem, it was because of my friends crappy internet connection.

But once they started changing the user interface I slowly started disliking the presentation and emphasis on adverts. I was perfectly happy with the Blade interface and I liked the NXE interface. But the newest dashboard puts me off. It's horrible that in order to find my games, I have to sift through a bunch of bullshit. And the in tray game is delegated a tiny corner of the home screen.

All in all, I love the console, but dislike what they've done to it recently. There is too much emphasis on advertising and online features. And not enough on your games. Based on what I've seen on the direction the 360 is going and rumors of the next Xbox. I'm positive that my next console isn't going to be from Microsoft. I'm currently waiting to see what Sony does w/ the PS4 and whether or not the manage to screw up the launch of it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
I don't hate the 360 at all - I just prefer the PS3 because it gets more of the games that I'm interested in (Niche/NIS RPG's, etc) -and- because, I personally very much prefer the controller.

Granted, I know that many people prefer the 360's controller, but, as a one-handed gamer...I find the ps3's controller easier & more comfortable to use.

Also...who knows...if my "formative" gaming years were on the X-Box instead of the ps1/ps2; and, I'd been playing w/ their controller for many years before losing my hand...maybe I would now find the 360's controller to be my preference.

At any rate - I have a *VERY* hard time tolerating people/discussions that are full of "fanboy/girl-ism"...IMHO...EVERYBODY should play WHATEVER games they like, on WHATEVER system(s) they like w/o ever thinking that they're the better for it -or- that others are the worse for liking/prefering something else.

/mini-rant :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 10:18:46 am »
The biggest distinguishing factor this gen, for me, is the controller. I prefer the 360s, so I have more games for the system. Other than that - essentially the same thing when it comes to playing games.