Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28264 times)

foxhack

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »
Hard drives confirmed to be non-replaceable, according to an interview with Engadget - http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive. Looks like they're sticking with the Wii U approach on that.

It's worth noting that since game installs are locked to accounts, but you can install games to external hard drives, this also tells us that game installs are also locked to each individual console, too - not just the account.
No replaceable hard drive? Are they ... yes, yes they are.

Idiots. IDIOTS.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2013, 01:11:30 pm »
So then if I buy a launch console, and opt for a smaller hard-drive because the consoles are so expensive at launch; I can't replace it down the road with a larger hard-drive? I have to go buy a whole new console?! What a bunch of crap!

brunauss

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »
Hard drives confirmed to be non-replaceable, according to an interview with Engadget - http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive. Looks like they're sticking with the Wii U approach on that.

It's worth noting that since game installs are locked to accounts, but you can install games to external hard drives, this also tells us that game installs are also locked to each individual console, too - not just the account.

Microsoft is doing it again. Everything in the box. Live within the box. Don't go beyond the box, unless its connected to another box or the cloud. So this is what vindication feels like. I told people for years this is what Microsoft does. Now a sufficient number of people are finally seeing this and broadcasting it.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

brunauss

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2013, 01:14:03 pm »
So then if I buy a launch console, and opt for a smaller hard-drive because the consoles are so expensive at launch; I can't replace it down the road with a larger hard-drive? I have to go buy a whole new console?! What a bunch of crap!

"Don't mess with the box. The box is perfect." *L*
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »

Or, I guess, if the drive crashes; what, you'll need to buy another new console *instead* of just replacing it with a new/working drive?  :o

How many models (different-sized hard drives) were announced -and- were any prices given?

Tbqh - I don't even care enough about it to look for/read about their presentation  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »
@Desocietas -

So...how's that Ouya?!

Also, IMO, M$ & Sony are probably equally "evil"  8)

Haha, I still haven't turned on my Ouya since that initial day after receiving it.  It's certainly not going to affect the bigger consoles, and with its current interface, I will probably ignore it until its official launch.  My other HUGE issue with it so far is that I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to play the games I already own on Android.  Games that I can already play on a number of devices.  I know I shouldn't whine as multi-platform purchases are newish and not the norm, but it's still a little annoying as I felt like they were advertising the idea of playing games on the tv that would normally only be on your phone.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:20 pm »
Or, I guess, if the drive crashes; what, you'll need to buy another new console *instead* of just replacing it with a new/working drive?  :o
I'd suspect your warranty would cover it.

Possibly.

darko

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2013, 01:54:25 pm »
This about sums it up:

atariboy

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »
^^ HA! so true, that's all I heard!
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

brunauss

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:44 pm »
^^ HA! so true, that's all I heard!

Ditto. Love the "maybe" comment by Foxhack. Its always a maybe because if you want the quality to go up, you pay more money.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2013, 04:13:15 pm »

Possibly.

And...if it crashes the day after the warranty expires = you're fucked; huh?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

brunauss

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2013, 04:59:41 pm »

Possibly.

Unless, you pay them more money for the extended warranty and don't forget to renew it every year. The warranty renewal costs the initial $110 and then $60 yearly to keep it valid.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

foxhack

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2013, 05:15:56 pm »

Possibly.

That's not any different than how things are right now.

sin2beta

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2013, 06:31:09 pm »
The hard drive doesn't bother me too much. It is fairly trivial to replace the hard drives on the current ones. And I mean this in the opening up the old style enclosure, taking the drive out to put in the new style enclosure and such.

Also, am I misreading the tied to a console aspect? Larry Hryb stated that you can bring your game to a friends house and play it. You just have to sign in to your account. This is done as a very transparent up sale as once you leave their house, the friend already has the game on their hard drive, they just have to pay the fee to get access from their account. It looks like games move from system to system very easily. Obviously in the hopes of more sales.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:15 pm »
I thought I read somewhere out there, that if you had a "used" game and installed it on your drive. That once you payed for the "used game tax" the game would activate on your console and deactivate on the originally installed console somehow.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread