Author Topic: Learning Languages  (Read 3847 times)

90snostalga

Re: Learning Languages
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 06:46:58 pm »
I used to study Hebrew (current and old tongue) and it was very fun trying to read a Hebrew version of the Bible!  Got older and when I did not have to use Hebrew and every day life, I kind of forgot most of what I learned.  I want to get back into it again.  I want to learn Arabic as well after hebrew  ;)  Anyone on here speak Hebrew???

Do you have an interest in Israel? My brother wants to learn Arabic, but I'm not sure if he will. That's pretty cool that you used to be able to read Hebrew! I hope that I won't forget any of my languages.

Yes!   ;D  I al ways had a dream to visit Israel and check out all the great attractions!!   I want to get back into it but I dont have the software.  I used to have this great cheap software to help learn but lost it and haven't had the time.  that was when i was about 19 or so .  forever ago

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:17 pm »
I'm learning Japanese right now, too.  But work/school is taking up a lot of time.  And there's no time for gaming, either!
School and marching band is taking up my time. I used to learn hiragana and katakana on my free time. like in the cafeteria and some times in class. How ever I do not know kanji. I am going to learn my radicals after marching.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 01:12:09 am »
I'm learning Japanese right now, too.  But work/school is taking up a lot of time.  And there's no time for gaming, either!
School and marching band is taking up my time. I used to learn hiragana and katakana on my free time. like in the cafeteria and some times in class. How ever I do not know kanji. I am going to learn my radicals after marching.

I haven't learned katakana yet, but I've learned hiragana and am making my way through hundreds of kanji at the moment... It's pretty tough, but so rewarding when I recognize characters.  I, too, want to be able to read and understand written and spoken Japanese for games and movies... not sure if I'll ever be able to speak it, but who knows.

I also took 3 years of Spanish in high school; apparently I did well but I don't remember a lick of it outside of a few vocab here and there.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 01:28:48 pm »

I haven't learned katakana yet, but I've learned hiragana and am making my way through hundreds of kanji at the moment... It's pretty tough, but so rewarding when I recognize characters.  I, too, want to be able to read and understand written and spoken Japanese for games and movies... not sure if I'll ever be able to speak it, but who knows.

I also took 3 years of Spanish in high school; apparently I did well but I don't remember a lick of it outside of a few vocab here and there.

I'm surprised that you have learned hiragana, and are learning kanji, but haven't started katakana yet.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 02:50:33 pm »
I'm surprised that you have learned hiragana, and are learning kanji, but haven't started katakana yet.

Yeah, I'm using a few things for self-learning.  One of them is like a textbook for making sense of sentence structure, etc., and will teach me katakana in the next chapter. The other is a web app for vocabulary only and, while there is some katakana here and there, it's mainly focusing on hiragana and kanji.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 06:09:07 pm »

Yeah, I'm using a few things for self-learning.  One of them is like a textbook for making sense of sentence structure, etc., and will teach me katakana in the next chapter. The other is a web app for vocabulary only and, while there is some katakana here and there, it's mainly focusing on hiragana and kanji.

I want to learn Japanese a lot, but I want to make enough progress in Chinese first. I will try to find a way to squeeze it in!

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 06:27:17 pm »
I want to learn Japanese a lot, but I want to make enough progress in Chinese first. I will try to find a way to squeeze it in!

Cantonese is my next language in line, but I'm terrible at tonal stuff.  But my parents speak it, so I'd be able to further embarrass myself in front of them during visits...  Also, I'm worried the Japanese will confuse me when I learn Chinese.  But I'll cross the bridge when I get to it...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:16 am »

Cantonese is my next language in line, but I'm terrible at tonal stuff.  But my parents speak it, so I'd be able to further embarrass myself in front of them during visits...  Also, I'm worried the Japanese will confuse me when I learn Chinese.  But I'll cross the bridge when I get to it...

I read that just because you learned Japanese doesn't mean you will be able to understand chinese, but Chinese uses simplified characters and Japanese uses mostly traditional.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 01:29:45 pm »
I read that just because you learned Japanese doesn't mean you will be able to understand chinese, but Chinese uses simplified characters and Japanese uses mostly traditional.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't assume that at all.  There are maybe a few characters that I recognize between the two languages, but I wouldn't assume as much.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 02:31:54 am »
I am a fair speaker of English and mixed Tagalog and Bisaya dialect (Filipino).  Learned Japanese for 3 year in high school, my knowledge level is minimal considering the lessons I learned regarding formalities, culture, and how to use the different sets of katakana, hiragana, and kanji writing.

Also in response to the relativity of Chinese and Japanese, I've seen that they use certain similar characters but they are either not the same meaning or different pronunciation.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

karyann

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 02:56:47 pm »
I know english and french. Started learning spanish, hated it so I stopped after my high school class.

A few years back I started japanese but also stopped for no real reason, but I'm a lot more competent in japanese than I ever was at spanish. I can't speak a whole lot of it, but I can understand it relatively well, and read it fine as long as kanji doesn't start appearing (I only know a handful of those).

Man, almost exactly the same as me. I know French and English, I took Spanish courses in college and hated it so I stopped. I've been learning Japanese by myself, started 6 years ago, then stopped for about 4 years. But I just got to it again recently, and I'm planning on getting fluent as soon as possible, because I want to play a lot of Japanese games!

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »
Well, I'm in learning process with the english language xD, I need to practice my spelling part and also my grammar and way to write. I would love learn japanese because one of my dreams is live there at least one year or stay there on vacations, any of those. By the way, my first language is spanish :)

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 10:42:33 pm »
Hey,
I know English and French (probably because I'm french :p ), currently learning Japanese and I can barely speak Spanish.
I saw a lot of people here are learning French, don't hesitate to ask any questions. :)

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 03:16:11 am »
I know english and french. Started learning spanish, hated it so I stopped after my high school class.

A few years back I started japanese but also stopped for no real reason, but I'm a lot more competent in japanese than I ever was at spanish. I can't speak a whole lot of it, but I can understand it relatively well, and read it fine as long as kanji doesn't start appearing (I only know a handful of those).

Man, almost exactly the same as me. I know French and English, I took Spanish courses in college and hated it so I stopped. I've been learning Japanese by myself, started 6 years ago, then stopped for about 4 years. But I just got to it again recently, and I'm planning on getting fluent as soon as possible, because I want to play a lot of Japanese games!
I would love to play jp games, and watch their anime. I learned Hiragana and katakana but I stopped. I really want to be fluent, but don't know what is my best resource. My be i should use Textfugu, then go to college?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 01:58:29 am »
My mom got me textfugu on the 7th and I think it will really turn around my japanese learning.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー