Author Topic: Where Are You At?  (Read 4394 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Where Are You At?
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:47:08 pm »
I think most of us regulars know that Soera recently moved to Mexico. But that made me curious where the rest of us are. So, where are you located?

I'm in Redding, CA. Northern California. Born and raised. We're known for lots of outdoors areas, a couple lakes (Shasta Lake, Whiskeytown Lake), Mt. Shasta, the Sun-Dial Bridge (whoopdy-doo), and very hot summers. Biggest city north of Sacramento in California, but it's not very big at all. We're just under 100,000 people according to the city limits signs.

I'm an American, I have never even been outside of the country. I also have lived in the California Bay Area (San Francisco area) for a couple years when I was a kid. And in Reno, Nevada for a few years as a teenager. I was also in Wichita Falls, Texas for a short while.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:52:52 pm by burningdoom »

Re: Where Are You At?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:58:05 pm »
Born in Pontiac, Michigan. Lived in Lincoln Park, Michigan (near Detroit) for a few years, until I moved to London, Ontario Canada, where I have lived ever since.

Edit: I was only born in Pontiac, never lived there. I have both American and Canadian citizenship.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:02:12 pm by Oheao »

soera

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »
I think most of us regulars know that Soera recently moved to Mexico.

Hah! :) I want to move out of country but Japan would be my destination.  8)

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »
Born and raised in Portland, Oregon, which is actually something of a rarity these days, since so many people have moved out here over the last 10 years or so. I've lived in San Francisco and Sacramento at different times, for maybe a combined total of a year and a half, but always wound up coming back. Pretty sure I'm staying put for the long haul :)

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:37:34 pm »
Mexico. Mexicali, BC. Born, raised, and will probably get shot outside my house by the army here too. :p

Dual Gringo / Mexican citizenship. Not that it means anything.

I've been trying to leave for the past 15 years, but can't because our family property is tied up in legal limbo because of my father's will and Mexican law being completely idiotic.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »
I think most of us regulars know that Soera recently moved to Mexico.

Hah! :) I want to move out of country but Japan would be my destination.  8)

Sorry, Foxhack lives in Mexico.  :-[

Born and raised in Portland, Oregon, which is actually something of a rarity these days, since so many people have moved out here over the last 10 years or so. I've lived in San Francisco and Sacramento at different times, for maybe a combined total of a year and a half, but always wound up coming back. Pretty sure I'm staying put for the long haul :)

How's the Portland Classic Gaming Expo? I've been meaning to make it to one, one of these years.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »
How's the Portland Classic Gaming Expo? I've been meaning to make it to one, one of these years.

This sounds terrible, but I've actually never gone! I always seem to be in a situation where I'm watching my budget when it rolls around, and to some extent, Portland's whole "hipster gamer" thing bothers me. I would like to go at some point, but usually, I figure I can get whatever games I want whenever I can afford to, and I've got arcade sticks with Sanwa parts, so I'm not really deprived of the arcade experience, either.

I think someone on VGC did go to the last one, though... soera, maybe?

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »
I'm in Dallas Texas. I just recently moved here. Grew up in Anchorage Alaska, spent early adulthood in Boulder Colorado. And Tulsa Oklahoma has always seemed like a base. I've lived in several places due to being an Air Force brat.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

Re: Where Are You At? saskatchewan
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
i was born in saskatoon, saskatchewan, canada and i lived there until i was 14, then me and my family moved to regina, SK and we lived there for 4 years and now i live in moose jaw, SK

PS: saskatchewan weather is fu@k'en insane

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:08:47 pm »
I was born in Belgium and I lived there untill i was 21. Then, I moved to Chicoutimi in the Quebec province in 1998. I really enjoy my life here... despite the fact there are 2 feet of snow outside already ;(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:12:02 am by elraiser »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:43:30 pm »
Born and raised in Davao City, Philippines for 10 years.  Been living in Washington State, currently residing in Auburn.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:25 am »
It really blows my mind that there are people that can grow up on one continent and then move to another part of the world as an adult. I would never have the guts to do that.  I've always been one to play it safe though.

I was born in Little Rock, AR.  I grew up in North Central Arkansas.  I spent my college years in North East Arkansas.  Now, I'm living about an hour south of where I grew up.  It was a 2 hour circle that has lasted 32 years.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 11:43:16 am »
Born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The only reason I would move north, is because the shipping costs from the States, Canada and Europe are very high and I can't buy as many games as I would like to! ;)
But having my family and friends here is priceless!

Cheers!
Juan M. - Naicigam
Juan M. - Naicigam

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:18:57 pm »
Born, raised, and (quite content about) coming back to & living in N.J.

Born, grew-up, and went to school ~15 miles west of Newark, N.J (which is...about 1/2 hour, or so from NYC - I could see the dust/ashes etc in the sky from/on 9/11/2001).

(Partially) because of how close I grew up to Newark (was "the murder capital of the world" for a few years) + NYC - I grew up with a lot of temptations + bad influences (which, I'm very sure, I also ended up becoming; a "bad influence").

I got into a lot of...different kinds of...'trouble' (of the kinds that landed me in places that aren't the kind of places that you can get up & walk out of/leave when you want to).

After a (self-inflicted) vicious circle & cycle - that lasted ~10 years of being in 'n' out of the state's "free housing"...and...failing repeatedly many, many times befor I finally got my shit together from my 10-year drug(s) - addiction(s); after all was said & done, I'd lived in (usually read as: had my assed court-ordered to:) different institutions throughout CA, FL, OK, PA, and NY.

Eventually, get my shit together, I did, indeed!

Got clean, got a GED, went to college, became a (damned good) counselor to others who were living their lives and going through the same kinds of shit & problems that I, myself, had.

Life comes around in some 'funny' kinds of circles sometimes, though ("If ya really want to make God laugh really hard...tell him all about what your *plans* are:P

After years of being clean, going to school, and working as a drug counselor -due to some doctor's/a hospital's negligence & fuck ups...I ended up losing my left hand in an amputation as the result of a 'botched' & "very simple & routine" blood-clot repair surgery...

...(current day/end(?) of my story:) =

I'm now (and, probably will be...for the rest of my life) on constant 'pain-management' medications (read: "drugs"); ironically, that are very similar to some of the drugs that caused me so many problems in the 1st place!

However (with maturity & after years of being clean) - I just take 'em as prescribed & do my thing/my day-to-day life.

Also, somewhat humorously + ironically - thanks to the good doctor/hospital's "mistakes"...I'm now at a point in my life where I could actually afford to buy all of the drugs that I wanted to & stay "Comfortably numb" for the rest of my life w/o ever having to work and/or resort to...'other' methods of supporting that habit; instead, I own my own waterfront home at the Jersey sure + a couple of cars (and I don't have any car/mortgage payments) -and- I buy a lot of games -n- shit (my newest & safest "addiction" to date:)  ;D

Funny circles sometimes, indeed...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:21:28 pm »
Born and always lived in and around the middle part of the UK. Don't hate where we live enough to move, don't like it enough that I wouldn't if we could :)