Author Topic: Your 10/10 Games?  (Read 7986 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Your 10/10 Games?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 07:14:46 pm »
Thats the way I felt about the Journey game and the Flower game on PS3. That thing got such crazy awesome reviews but its mostly just boring. I tried to like it but it just never happened.

Are you talking about the Journey game on the Atari?  If so, that's weird. I was just talking to someone about that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 07:43:36 pm »
Thats the way I felt about the Journey game and the Flower game on PS3. That thing got such crazy awesome reviews but its mostly just boring. I tried to like it but it just never happened.

Are you talking about the Journey game on the Atari?  If so, that's weird. I was just talking to someone about that.

I've always wanted to check that game out. But no, he's talking about this game on PS3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_(2012_video_game)

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:39 pm »
Oh man hard list, im sure i'll think of more but off the top of my head...
Super Metroid
Metal Slug 3
Real Bout Special
KOF XIII and KOF 98
Majora's Mask
Comix Zone
Hard Corps
Timber... Seriously everyone needs to play that game

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »
I don't get all the love for Nights.

It's a very pretty game, but beyond that, there's not much there, IMO. You fly around in a gigantic circle, collect orbs, and do loopdy-loops. It just seems very simplistic, and kind of pointless other than it being a showcase for what the Saturn was capable of graphically. Kind of like Sega's version of Pilotwings.

Shmups can be "beaten" by holding down the fire button and hitting continue when you die, but it's really all about the score - just like NiGHTS. :)

soera

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50:54 pm »

All I get on a search for Timber is an early 80s arcade game about chopping down trees.

scott

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 10:31:49 am »
Shmups can be "beaten" by holding down the fire button and hitting continue when you die, but it's really all about the score - just like NiGHTS. :)

Yup, that's why I tend to never hit continue after I use my last credit. I get a larger feeling of accomplishment when am able to progress further thanks to forcing myself to do so.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 11:18:04 am »
That's the way I felt about the Journey game on PS3. That thing got such crazy awesome reviews but its mostly just boring. I tried to like it but it just never happened.

I had the same feelings & experience w/ Journey - didn't *hate* it, mind you -but- I just didn't "get" all of the love for it...

All I get on a search for Timber is an early 80s arcade game about chopping down trees...in the morning

SOERA...looking for 'morning wood' again  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 11:34:59 am »
I don't get all the love for Nights.

It's a very pretty game, but beyond that, there's not much there, IMO. You fly around in a gigantic circle, collect orbs, and do loopdy-loops. It just seems very simplistic, and kind of pointless other than it being a showcase for what the Saturn was capable of graphically. Kind of like Sega's version of Pilotwings.

There's a whole lot more strategy involved in shoot-em ups than just flying in a circle and doing loopdy-loops, though.

scott

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
I'll admit. I loved NiGHTS due to the flying around in a circle and doing loopy-loops.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »
I feel like there is a distinction between 10/10 when the game is new, versus now. 

Super Metroid I feel is still pretty incredible, even today. 

Goldeneye I rented more than any other game, ever.  The single player campaign was awesome, and completely different depending on the difficulty, and the multiplayer, mein gott!   A 10/10 no doubt.

NOWADAYS, the bloom is off the rose: the controls are clumsy, the graphics are meh.  It's hard to still call it a 10/10

Kimimi: Puzzle Bobble is an awesome choice.  It's hard to find something wrong with that game.

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »

All I get on a search for Timber is an early 80s arcade game about chopping down trees.

That is it! I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is the most addicting game I've ever played. Im pretty sure it was done by the same group at Midway that did Tapper

soera

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »
It is. The information that I found on it even said that they used old Tapper cabinets for the game.

Hrmm just found out that this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Arcade_Treasures_2 has the game on it!

pzeke

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2019, 10:01:29 am »
I'm not one to necrobump, but this thread was linked by someone on another topic and I found it interesting, so...

Ico / Shadow of the Colossus
Kingdom Hearts II
Drakengard
God of War
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Mega Man X
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Pokémon Crystal
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Fusion
Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Game Boy)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (cliché, I know)
Grandia II
Rez

I didn’t want to make this a long list, but these are the games that come to mind that I would honestly say are, to me at least, 10/10. To me a game like that has to truly captivate and engross me with everything it has to offer: story, gameplay, music, its overall presentation, what have you. Aside from personal favorites, these are some of the games that I can say I spent countless hours playing or would come back to because they have everything I look and want a video game to have. I’m sure there are countless others that I could list here, but I have yet to play them. I know, for example, Raw Danger and Disaster Report for PS2 are two games that I will enjoy quite a lot once I finally sit down and play them. And I’m sure the same will happen with Ōkami.

I find Sonic to be a horrible series. The whole point seems to be just to make it to one end of the screen to the other with no real purpose in between.

Sonic fans be like...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

ferraroso

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 10:09:52 am »
Overall, I don't think many things in life as a whole deserve a 10/10...
When it comes to Video Games, I can only think of four examples (always taking into consideration the time when each of them were released):
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- The King of Fighters '98: Dream Match Never Ends

- Super Mario Bros. 3 (which means a lot coming from a confessed Nintendo hater!)

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 12:01:53 pm »
Ooooh,  The coveted 10 out of 10.  I reserve that number for the pinnacles of gaming greatness.  And this post is actually pretty hard because I can only rate games i have immense experience with and also leave personal bias aside.  Which is hard to do both since most games i've played enough to judge are games I love.   But here is my list :)   I will do my best to not let person love or nostalgia effect these.   

Super Mario World

If I was forced to give one sole 10/10 to only one game in the gaming industry.  It would be Super Mario World.  Super Mario World, I feel embodies every single aspect of gaming culture.  It is the peak.  It's not my personal favorite game.  But I can't think of any game that deserves the moniker of perfection more. It's like Gaming Cultures theme song.  Everything from the colorful visuals, to the orchestral masterpiece that is the soundtrack.   It has the perfect formula of easy enough for a literal baby to play and laugh and enjoy, but complicated enough for the most hardcore gamers and 40 year olds to play and truly just enjoy it, start till end.   

The mini boss to main boss ratio,  was unheard of at the time.  It was just expertly done.  Level progression flawless.  The variety of levels and what they did with Mario's powers.   I don't think a Mario Side Scroller has or will ever pass it.   Super Mario World is a game that can be beaten 300 times and still be enjoyed the 301st.   It's just never ending nostalgia.   

Grand Theft Auto V

Grand Theft Auto 5 as a stand alone game, is already pretty concrete.  But then you add in it's ridiculously fun and immersive online.  Which has still attracted one of the largest online player bases even half a decade later.  It's just 10/10 imo.   And again, a lot of bias comes into play because I love all Grand Theft Autos.   But GTA 5 is open world gold.   The scope of the side missions in this game are larger than some entire games.   The plot was deep, thick and they did something that you rarely see in gaming by dividing it among 3 protagonists at once.  And they did it seemlessly.   I just think GTA 5 was Rockstar showing off.   Just completely miles ahead of the sandbox open world genre.   It's almost 3 games at once, with an online mode on top of it.   Customizing,  the world.    RDR2 may have gotten more carried away with details,  but I think GTA 5 was slightly better plot wise and was faster paced.   

GTA 5 is a staple. 

Legend of Zelda BOTW

BOTW was an amazing turn around for Nintendo after Wii U failed.  It was like the hail mary and it succeeded.  Miyamoto proving again why he's a gaming genius.   I think the main overlooked thing with BOTW is the orchestral cinematic soundtrack.  It's gorgeous.  It plays gorgeous.  Sounds gorgeous.   It utilized every bit of the Switch technology.    The bosses are extremely memorable.   The combat system is unique and ingenious.    BOTW does hundreds of things right.    Even things people didn't like, like the weapons breaking.  I believe was a good thing for the franchise.  I like the realism.   I like how you gotta bundle up or eat certain foods to traverse the cold and have to scavenge for weapons if you break them.   It makes it probably the most immersive Zelda of all time. 

Minecraft

Minecraft is a 10/10 because it follows the simple science of gaming that Super Mario World followed, maybe to a slightly lesser extent.   But it is simple enough for a baby to play.  Complex enough that adults can have extreme challenge with it.   It is colorful, beautiful, simple and it's incredibly replayable, relaxing and you'll find yourself going back to it.  Probably until the end of time.   Once you get it, you get it type of game.   I always thought I hated it.  Until you love it.  Then you love it love it lol.    Minecraft is just that game.   It's one of the best selling games of all time for this reason.  I know people who own it on like 7 consoles.  You just have to.   When you see it in the E shop of your new console,  you buy it.   No collection is complete without it.  And I highly reccomend people to try it and get carried away with endless imagination :)

Tetris

Again, imo the iconic formula.   Simple yet complex.  Easy to learn, hard to master.  Amazing music.   If you combine those factors with fluid and concrete gameplay.  It will be a 10/10.    Tetris is the most iconic puzzle game of all time.   Tetris is so out of the box fun.   Has been since it's inception.   And after over 30 years.   People will still be loading up Tetris.   Tetris is still prominent on almost every major console.  And the story behind it is even more interesting than the game itself.    Tetris tournaments,  tetris masters.   It's almost like a Chess of the gaming world.  It's gaming royalty. 

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

It's pokemon.   I wish I could give a thought out reason for it being a 10 imo.  But it's Pokemon.  It speaks for itself.

I don't think i'd give any more games the glorious 10/10 award.   Their are dozens i'd personally give it to like Red Dead,  Call of Duty WW2,  NFL Street 2,  MVP Baseball 2005,  Need For Speed Most Wanted (Original) and games like Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsonal.    But I know those are personal favorites.   And not coveted masterpieces that changed the cultivation of gaming forever.  :D