Author Topic: Nintendo Wii U!!!  (Read 8792 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Nintendo Wii U!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »
I just wanted to share this from an article from the latest issue of Retro Gamer.

I went to that site and im interested but I have never subscribed to a magazine before.  I'm tempted to do it but is the price a good price for the magazine sub?  I know I can do the online part but I prefer to read magazines and books on paper because its more easier for me.

Also,  do you like the Retro Magazine so far?  What do you think of it?

This article is from the U.K. Retro Gamer Magazine. It's pretty dang pricey to subscribe to, unless you like in the U.K.

The one I just subscribed to with the link in the other thread is from the U.S. and simply titled "Retro" magazine. I haven't gotten my first issue yet, and won't for a little while because it comes out every 2 months.

90snostalga

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:41 pm »
I just wanted to share this from an article from the latest issue of Retro Gamer.

I went to that site and im interested but I have never subscribed to a magazine before.  I'm tempted to do it but is the price a good price for the magazine sub?  I know I can do the online part but I prefer to read magazines and books on paper because its more easier for me.

Also,  do you like the Retro Magazine so far?  What do you think of it?

This article is from the U.K. Retro Gamer Magazine. It's pretty dang pricey to subscribe to, unless you like in the U.K.

The one I just subscribed to with the link in the other thread is from the U.S. and simply titled "Retro" magazine. I haven't gotten my first issue yet, and won't for a little while because it comes out every 2 months.

Ah okay I see.  Yea I want the U.S. one.  I guess I should go ahead and drop the dollars on it to get my issues  ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:27 pm »
I really love the Wii U as well, and I am definitely sticking with Nintendo for this generation. The sad thing though is that it is not doing so well, I think Nintendo can pull through that, they did with the gamecube, but I really think they need to market that controller much more and make some games that really utilize it well, because to be honest, yeah it is underpowered but they've got a unique item, that neither the Xbox one or PS4 have. From what I've seen you'll be able to get games on the xbox one and PS4 on a nice PC for cheaper. Nintendo needs to realize they have something unique so that people will pay attention

blipcs76

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 04:20:47 pm »
Nintendo has their base locked in with their exclusives.  You can't play Smash Bros., Mario Kart or Metroid anywhere else.  The problem is 3rd parties, who have all but abandoned the Wii U.  Nintendo needs to do something drastic to bring more games to the system that gamers want.  Either:

- seriously court Western developers to get some support
or
- buy/develop their own new 1st/2nd party developers.  I can't believe they didn't buy Atlus.

The lack of games and variety are the Wii U's weakness and until Nintendo acknowledges this, they're going to continue to limp along.  I fear that as soon as devs stop supporting the 360/PS3, the Wii U is only going to have first-party titles to keep the system going.  Ubisoft has even drastically cut back on their support for the system.

Even though I haven't had it for more than a few weeks, owning a Wii U today feels like how I felt as a TG-16 owner about 20 years ago.

karyann

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »
- buy/develop their own new 1st/2nd party developers.  I can't believe they didn't buy Atlus.

I would have loved that, but at the same time I apprehended it. The only reason is because of their sensitivity over certain subjects. I love how Atlus does whatever they want, and I don't know if Nintendo would have refrained them from adding something they wanted to, in fear that oh my god people might not like this over in America (see recent  censorships like hiding Tharja's bikini or removing the cartoon butt in Chibi Robo).

soera

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:07 pm »
I agree with Karyann. While Nintendo and Atlas pair would have been pretty spectacular (and actually what I originally predicted), the thought of Atlas games overcensored on a Nintendo console is painful.

I wish that Nintendo would get off the "family console" bandwagon. It was cool for a few minutes after seeing the "Wii would like to play" commercials but that scenario doesnt last long and eventually all the systems will either end up in a garage/attic or in a pawn/thrift store. If Nintendo wants to remain a force in the console world, they are going to have to abandon that. America really isnt as uptight as the Asian side of the world likes to believe.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:54:10 pm »
I agree with Karyann. While Nintendo and Atlas pair would have been pretty spectacular (and actually what I originally predicted), the thought of Atlas games overcensored on a Nintendo console is painful.

I wish that Nintendo would get off the "family console" bandwagon. It was cool for a few minutes after seeing the "Wii would like to play" commercials but that scenario doesnt last long and eventually all the systems will either end up in a garage/attic or in a pawn/thrift store. If Nintendo wants to remain a force in the console world, they are going to have to abandon that. America really isnt as uptight as the Asian side of the world likes to believe.

What do you mean "a few minutes"? Nintendo has always been family-friendly. Remember the original Mortal Kombat being neutered on SNES? Or Wolfenstein 3-D on SNES having all Nazi symbols removed from the game?

soera

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 01:12:50 pm »

What do you mean "a few minutes"? Nintendo has always been family-friendly. Remember the original Mortal Kombat being neutered on SNES? Or Wolfenstein 3-D on SNES having all Nazi symbols removed from the game?

LOL I left out a few words. I mean to say the motion controls were cool for a few minutes.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 01:56:35 pm »
[/quote]
Right but money changed that very quickly and they didn't censor the second one. Although I hate "kiddie" system I can see where that comes from, and I think it started with the N64, Nintendo really stayed the same while the PS1 had more adult games on it. In the same sense though I don't think the wii u is "kiddie," for example the Wonderful 101 is a tough game and has adult references in it and it's also paying homage to stuff like power rangers and voltron, I don't think younger kids would get that. It was also nice to play a new Mario game and actually die a couple times, to me, "hardcore" doesn't only apply to games simulating war

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 07:31:21 pm »
I think Nintendo has always been aimed at kids. This was necessary with the NES. The market needed this. They needed to start fresh. So, video games were, at that point, a kid's toy. That stigma has only started to change the last 1-2 decades. Possibly, starting with the Genesis, but definitely with the PSone and Saturn. Currently I have to remind myself that everyone plays video games. Hell, a lot of the girls I work with play video games as a main recreational hobby. Coming from my early 90s perspective; that's weird.

I actually would argue that Nintendo started the kid image. Atari was for everyone (well... nerds in the popular opinion). However, Nintendo was for kids. ROB, television commercials, and the general marketing are testament to that. The reported "short supply" of products technique is primarily used for kids toys (Cabbage Patch). Just compare the two commercials at the end of this post. I tried to pick representative commercials of the 80s marketing campaigns. (Nintendo has more adult commercials like Metroid, but the also have the Zelda is totally rad commercial). For comparison, just think if George Plimpton did NES commercials. But it worked for Intellivision.. quite well I might add.

This continues with the WiiU. Wonderful 101 is more adult than the Nintendo norm. But, keep in mind, it is a Platinum game. Wonderful 101 is Platinum's Wii friendly game. There is a lot of distance between Wonderful 101 and a more typical Platinum game such as Anarchy Reigns.

To sum everything up.... Nintendo: Your parents help you hook it up. There's a lot of assumptions in that statement.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 11:49:31 pm »
Awesome commercials Beta.  That Atari one actually sold me.  Like, if this was 1981, that commercial would make me want an Atari.

On the topic tho', while Nintendo may be for kids, it produces some fantastic titles that even as an adult, I want to play!  I feel like the Zelda and Mario franchises could be adult and kiddy, along with smash bros.  I believe Nintendo has always done the kiddy market because it has worked for them. 

90snostalga

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:14 pm »
What do you guys think of this tho?  Is it possible for Nintendo to put out a 3D RPG Pokemon game on the Wii U?  Would that be a great benefit?

karyann

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:07 am »
What do you guys think of this tho?  Is it possible for Nintendo to put out a 3D RPG Pokemon game on the Wii U?  Would that be a great benefit?

Since there's already a 3D RPG Pokémon game on the 3DS, and since Nintendo never made the main games leave the handhelds, I doubt it. Pokémon is not a big franchise on home consoles, so I don't think it would do much, sadly. I'd love if they made another Pokémon Stadium or Pokémon Snap though, especially Pokémon Snap; it would be awesome with the gamepad!

scott

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 11:57:45 am »
I highly doubt you'll ever see a main series Pokemon game on a console. The whole point of Pokemon is to trade and battle friends when you meet up with them. If they moved it to consoles, you'd either have to do online trading and battling or force friends to carry SD cards to their friends house to trade. Which isn't in the spirit of the game.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:59 pm »
Pokemon needs to evolve for consoles.  My perspective as someone indifferent to the franchise is that it could be absolutely brilliant as a light MMO.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:32:37 pm by blipcs76 »