Author Topic: Obscure, good Wii games  (Read 30200 times)

Obscure, good Wii games
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:44:55 am »
I have been slowly collecting Wii games since the console was released back in 2006, however it wasn't until recently that the Wii actually began becoming a more affordable system to collect for. Overall the games have gradually been dipping in price, and I imagine in probably another year or two it'll be as easy and accessible to collect for as the PS2 and original XBOX are at the moment. So we all know about the Mario and Zelda games on the console, even RPGs like Xenoblade and Last Story, but what are those gems that you either know of or have played that are incredible games, but nobody seems to know about? I have a few that I have played/own:

-Elabits
-Ultimate Shooting Collection
-Arcade Hits Pack: LA Machinegun and New York Gunblade
-Dataeast collection
-Ocean Commander
-Sin and Punishment 2

Looking for more suggestions on Obscure yet good Wii games that you guys know of.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Obscure, good Wii games
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:27 am »
See if you can find Lost in Shadow.
It's a game where you control a shadow in the background. You have to adjust things in the foreground to cast the correct shadow for your shadow to walk on. It's a fun/weird game.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:24 am »
I know I've posted this in other Wii-related threads but I just cannot help gushing about Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure.  Makes great use of the Wii Remote by using it as if it were the tool on the game.  Characters are also pretty adorable.    :D

Please check out the games I have for sale.

scott

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:46:47 am »
It's a game where you control a shadow in the background. You have to adjust things in the foreground to cast the correct shadow for your shadow to walk on. It's a fun/weird game.

Sounds like that Contrast game on the PS4 PSN. I like that game, I might have to look into Lost in Shadow.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

bobster

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:03:40 am »
I played through that game and it was pretty good. I remember it going on a little too long for me.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:18:14 am »
Haven't played Murumasa: The Demon Blade on the Wii (I have the Vita version) and have heard mostly love for it.

Arc Rise Fantasia, on the other hand (from what I've heard, at least) seems to be split @ about 50/50 for Love-it-or-Hate-it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:07:42 pm »
I'm not usually one to like racing games, but Excite Trucks is nice in my opinion. If you love realism it probably won't be your thing though, but I like it.
Medieval Games is kinda like Mario Party but with medieval-themed mini games, you can easily get it for $5 usually (in here anyway).
I also love My Sims, but it's a really casual game. I've always loved building things so this game appeals to me a lot. You have to build houses and furniture for your house, gather essences from many items to "paint" the items and so on. People move in your town and you have to build each of them a house.

BOOM BLOX. If you have only one game to get, get either (or both) Boom Blox games. It's a whole lot of fun the more people you are, but even alone it's challenging. The goal is to throw different items (baseballs, bowling balls, bombs) at towers of blocs to score big points. You can also play multiplayer and have to destroy each other's castle, ship or whatever.

haloofthesun

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:26:53 pm »
Obscure; not entirely. Incredibly, mostly not. But these are all games that range from pretty good to awesome that people tend to not notice or really should notice more than they do.

Alien Syndrome
Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories
Arc Rise Fantasia
Battalion Wars 2
Bit. Trip Complete
Boom Blox
Boom Blox: Bash Party
A Boy and His Blob
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
Calling
Castle of Shikigami III
Cursed Mountain
Dawn of Discovery
Dokapon Kingdom
Elebits
Endless Ocean
Endless Ocean 2: Blue World
Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
Fortune Street
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Ivy the Kiwi
Klonoa
Little King's Story
Lost in Shadow
Metal Slug Anthology
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Opoona
Pandora's Tower
Samba de Amigo
Shiren the Wanderer
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »
cruis'n: it very outdated and its lacking in content but its a fun 90s style racing game and if you can get it for cheap, its worth the buy

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »
Sakura Wars: So Long my Love- it's a Tactical. RPG where how well your troops fight is based on your relationships with them instead of levels, it also happens to be a bit of a dating sim... I love this game too much

Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo-it's a Beat'em up based on Dragonball

Sam & Max season one (and two)- they're point and click adventures on the Wii starring Sam & Max what more needs to be said

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:12 am »
Sakura Wars: So Long my Love- it's a Tactical. RPG where how well your troops fight is based on your relationships with them instead of levels, it also happens to be a bit of a dating sim... I love this game too much

Sam & Max season one (and two)- they're point and click adventures on the Wii starring Sam & Max what more needs to be said

Sakura Wars is another good suggestion...although, IMO, it's better played on the PS2.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is a great Rogue-like, if you're into those. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »

Wait.  Its a beat 'em up like final fight?  I'm in

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »
I'm not sure how "obscure" you want exactly. I'm assuming non-Nintendo, non Rock Band/Guitar Hero, and non-Dance games then?

-Bit.Trip Series - Pretty much every game in the series is good. You can get them individually on Wii Ware or get the collection on disc. Great old-school gameplay (each one different, though) that hooks you then really challenges you. And some fantastic, hypnotic music to accompany it.

-Cave Story - This one is a Wii Ware game. Great little game with 2D Metroidvania gameplay, and a lot of charm to the world and characters.

-Data East Arcade Classics - Fantastic collection of old-school classic arcade games. One of the last of it's kind, everything is going download networks, now.

-Konami "Rebirth" Games - Amazing remakes of 3 of Konami's best 8-bit classics: Castlevania: Adventure, Gradius, and Contra. On Wii Ware.

-Metal Slug Anthology - If you like Metal Slug, you NEED to have this one. Great 2D run-n-gun action spanning from the first game to Metal Slug 6 (including MS X).

-House of the Dead 2 & 3 - If you like light-gun shooters, you'll like these arcade greats for the Wii.

-House of the Dead: Overkill - It's still House of the Dead gameplay, but it has such a cooler sense of style to it. It comes off feeling like a 70s drive-in flick. If you like those kind of movies, you'll love this. If you don't, you probably won't like it.

-Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottileb Collection - Great collection of life-like, accurate video-pinball recreations of real pinball tables dating from the '50s to '80s.

-Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - Great collection of life-like, accurate video-pinball recreations of real pinball tables dating from the '50s to '80s.

-Rayman: Origins - Possibly the single greatest platformer on the system, and this is a Nintendo system we're talking about. It's that good, really. The graphics, while 2D, are stunningly gorgeous. The music, is just as amazing as the graphics are, too. The gameplay actually accompanies and enhances the awesome music. And the level-design is fantastic, I just mentioned the gameplay enhancing the music, and a lot of the level-design is to thank for that. And it's HUGE. When you think you've actually beaten the game, and entire new set of areas open up as big as the first. You simply cannot be without this game if you own a Wii.

-Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles & Umbrella Chronicles - Two games here. But they follow the same formula. Take the locations and history of the awesome RE series, and turn them into a light-gun shooter. If you like RE and you like light-gun shooters, these should keep you entertained.

-SNK Arcade Classics - Fantastic collection of the best first-party Neo-Geo MVS games. Next-best thing to owning an actual MVS, AES, or NGCD. Metal Slug, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Magician Lord, Samurai Shodown; they're all represented among others.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:40:57 pm by burningdoom »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:38 pm »
Oh yeah also the Trauma Center games all 3 are very cheap and They're ATLUS titles and play great

Second Opinion
New Blood
and Trauma Team