Author Topic: In Honor of the 7th Console Generation  (Read 7766 times)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

Re: In Honor of the 7th Console Generation
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 11:14:10 pm »
:-\

Sad how you lived up to your username in this thread, grimhope.

Technically, the 7th generation isn't over yet considering that I heard that the PS3, maybe in extension the Xbox 360, will still be supported.  Arguably, some of the games may be watered-down versions in comparison to the new 8th generation version but there are also some games still exclusive to them.  Since this year is still not the end for current systems, honoring the 7th generation as if developer/publisher support has gone away is still a wee bit pre-mature.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 01:22:30 am »
This last generation was all over the place for me.

-I hated the Nintendo Wii.  I still think the Wiimote is an awful controller.  Functionally fine (once it got the motion plus), but I hated the gimmick. I bought it at launch after waiting in the cold car for a few hours, got Twilight Princess, and while I enjoyed it, to me it just wasn't very good control wise.  It didn't get much better as I felt it didn't have alot of great games for awhile and eventually I sold it off to a friend with the 3 or 4 games I had on it.  There are good games on the system, some I'm gonna be picking up now and playing properly, or that I missed, but it was a downer of a system.  I still need to give some games a fair shake, like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I lightly played, but was rather underwhelmed by.  I did love Skyward Sword, aside from minor issues, and while it played well, the whole time I just did not want to play with the wiimote controls.  The whole time, it just felt like I would enjoy this more with a regular controller.

-The 360 was my next buy, but that didn't happen till Dead Rising came out.  That was the system seller for me.  I actually quite supported the 360 for awhile, was definitely pro-microsoft, but the past 3 or 4 years, it waned hard.  There were still games I liked, but I disliked the XBL more and once I focused entirely on PC shooters over console ones, I had little reason to ever play the system online. I still have my 360 and the biggest reason I kept it, was that I'm collecting now, and it still has all of my Guitar Hero and Rock Band stuff on it.  Lots and lots of music lol I only had one issue with the system, which was when my first one died a few years later with the disk drive, so I bought an arcade and I've had that for the past 4 years now I believe.

-The PS3 I didn't get into until the past 2 or 3 years.  I had played the PS3 at my friends place, but I wasn't very impressed with its selection of games.  Uncharted was a good series for the most part, MGS4 was good, a couple others here and there, The Last of Us funny enough, my last game I played on it, though I still have more to play, but I still don't play it a ton, it mostly just became a blu-ray player with minimal play. Exclusive wise, I didn't feel it was strong and kinda neither was the 360.

-The last console generation I think I got overwhelmed by the PC for me.  Some of my straight up favorite games released during that time.  Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the STALKER series, the Metro series, these are forever favorites of mine.  While I faded from 360, I grew in the PC. I have a huge selection of games on Steam and my most played games are there.

Overall, some great games came out in the last cycle, but the console cycle wasn't quite as good as I feel the last few were.  With how much I ragged on Nintendo and their great selling console from last gen, I'm far more excited by the Wii U, which is sucking hard lol It still needs a proper 3D Mario game, a real good and adventurous one that isn't just rehashing what has been over-rehashed before, and of course it's proper new Zelda, which is taking forever to come out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:24:40 am by kamikazekeeg »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:10:44 am »

Overall, some great games came out in the last cycle, but the console cycle wasn't quite as good as I feel the last few were.  With how much I ragged on Nintendo and their great selling console from last gen, I'm far more excited by the Wii U, which is sucking hard lol It still needs a proper 3D Mario game, a real good and adventurous one that isn't just rehashing what has been over-rehashed before, and of course it's proper new Zelda, which is taking forever to come out.

Have you played Super Mario 3D World?  It's fantastic.

argyle

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:56 am »
I would argue that the PS3's exclusives have been incredibly strong, but then again it all depends on what you're looking for.  If you're just interested in shooters then no, probably not.  Around 1/3 of my PS3 library is exclusives, and that's not counting HD collections or marginally improved ports like Star Ocean. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 11:40:30 am »
I would argue that the PS3's exclusives have been incredibly strong, but then again it all depends on what you're looking for.  If you're just interested in shooters then no, probably not.  Around 1/3 of my PS3 library is exclusives, and that's not counting HD collections or marginally improved ports like Star Ocean.

Agree 100%
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 01:01:21 pm »

Agree 100%

Most (all that I bought new) of my PS3 collection is exclusives. I like the 360 better, so all of my multiplatform stuff is for that. As far as exclusives, PS3 won that hands down. I was really kicking around getting a PS3 just for God of War. Then I found a PS3 at yard sale and had to get some games!   ;D

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 03:30:48 pm »

It's fun and I'm greatly enjoying it, but it's just too much the same stuff they were doing with the new super mario bros, it's nothing in the same vein as Super Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy.  It's essentially just a 2D game that happens to be 3D, rather than being a 3D game that really benefits from it.  I want to see Mario have a big adventure like he use to and really utilizing the hardware with some epic worlds, new and interesting bosses, and a proper hub world since they abandoned that with Super Mario Galaxy.  I just want to see Super Mario 64, but doubled or tripled in size lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 07:34:04 pm »

It's fun and I'm greatly enjoying it, but it's just too much the same stuff they were doing with the new super mario bros, it's nothing in the same vein as Super Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy.  It's essentially just a 2D game that happens to be 3D, rather than being a 3D game that really benefits from it.  I want to see Mario have a big adventure like he use to and really utilizing the hardware with some epic worlds, new and interesting bosses, and a proper hub world since they abandoned that with Super Mario Galaxy.  I just want to see Super Mario 64, but doubled or tripled in size lol

I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I think Super Mario 3D Land and World are exactly what Super Mario Bros. in 3D should have always been. It feels like you're exploring the mushroom kingdom from the days of the Super Mario Bros. series, in 3D. I love it!

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 07:41:50 pm »

I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I think Super Mario 3D Land and World are exactly what Super Mario Bros. in 3D should have always been. It feels like you're exploring the mushroom kingdom from the days of the Super Mario Bros. series, in 3D. I love it!

Nothing wrong with that, but to me it's just more of what we've always had with Super Mario and there's a bajillion of them, with all of them basically rehashing Super Mario 3, where as we've only had like 2 3D free roaming Mario games and Sunshine was just only okay to me.  Even with the name "World" on the new one, it seems less like Super Mario World and still more like Super Mario 3. I will always enjoy 2D Mario, but my favorite platforming stuff is the N64 era games with Mario, Banjo-Kazooie, and Donkey Kong, along with some others from other gens like Jak & Daxter on the PS2.  We don't get much of that anymore and there's even less of it with how many 2D platformers are being made now.  It's why I'm super excited for the Kickstarted "A Hat in Time" which is bringing back that classic N64 platformer feel.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:29 am »
This last generation was all over the place for me.

-I hated the Nintendo Wii.  I still think the Wiimote is an awful controller.  Functionally fine (once it got the motion plus), but I hated the gimmick. I bought it at launch after waiting in the cold car for a few hours, got Twilight Princess, and while I enjoyed it, to me it just wasn't very good control wise.  It didn't get much better as I felt it didn't have alot of great games for awhile and eventually I sold it off to a friend with the 3 or 4 games I had on it.  There are good games on the system, some I'm gonna be picking up now and playing properly, or that I missed, but it was a downer of a system.  I still need to give some games a fair shake, like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I lightly played, but was rather underwhelmed by.  I did love Skyward Sword, aside from minor issues, and while it played well, the whole time I just did not want to play with the wiimote controls.  The whole time, it just felt like I would enjoy this more with a regular controller.

-The last console generation I think I got overwhelmed by the PC for me.  Some of my straight up favorite games released during that time.  Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the STALKER series, the Metro series, these are forever favorites of mine.  While I faded from 360, I grew in the PC. I have a huge selection of games on Steam and my most played games are there.
These are sentiments I am able to agree and relate with on the 7th generation.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 03:30:58 am »
Most (all that I bought new) of my PS3 collection is exclusives. I like the 360 better, so all of my multiplatform stuff is for that. As far as exclusives, PS3 won that hands down. I was really kicking around getting a PS3 just for God of War. Then I found a PS3 at yard sale and had to get some games!   ;D

Yeah I'd probably agree with this generally.  I liked the 360 more for multiplatform stuff, I had it first, and therefore had less of a reason to get a PS3, but the PS3 might've had better exclusives.

PS3 Exclusives I liked...3D Dot Game Heroes, God of War 3, Infamous (And sorta 2, though I never beat it), mostly the concept of MAG, MGS4, The Last of Us, and the Uncharted series (Haven't finished 3).

360 Exclusives I liked...Chromehounds, Crackdown, Gears of War 1, Halo 3, Dead Rising, Saints Row 1, and that was pretty much it. 

Looking at those two, the stronger ones would be PS3 definitely.

Warmsignal

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »
I jumped into the 7th gen scene about mid-way through, and yeah, it is kind of bittersweet to see it going. It was an especially long-winded generation, with lots of memorable new franchises and games. It was the first gen that I really followed closely through the years, I know the libraries inside and out.

What's funny is how hard the retail market wants to kick these consoles to the curb, when 8th gen is sooo slow coming in to it's own. Usually previous generations hang on in the retail market for a few years after the next gen starts. Microsoft and Sony have even vowed to keep 360 and PS3 relevant for a few more years, yet retail really wants rid of it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »

It's not bad, but it's a diversion away from the natural progression of Mario games as we knew them. I absolutely loved 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, and thought they were some of the best 3D platform adventure games ever. Super Mario 3D Land / Word is not that kind of game. In an era where nonlinear 3D platforming is nearly dead, I'm hoping the Mario franchise hasn't also abandon it. I'm really not sure what point "New" Super Mario Bros serves now, it's become redundant.

Aside from this, the 3D Land / World games are incredibly short and small, and easy. You can beat the whole game in an hour, okay maybe two. Nintendo doesn't care anymore, they're like anybody else, they are just waiting to release DLC that they should have included in the game. These games are okay, but in my opinion the Mario franchise has been wrecked and I'm thoroughly disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 02:13:42 pm by Warmsignal »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 03:35:48 pm »

It's not bad, but it's a diversion away from the natural progression of Mario games as we knew them. I absolutely loved 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, and thought they were some of the best 3D platform adventure games ever. Super Mario 3D Land / Word is not that kind of game. In an era where nonlinear 3D platforming is nearly dead, I'm hoping the Mario franchise hasn't also abandon it. I'm really not sure what point "New" Super Mario Bros serves now, it's become redundant.

Aside from this, the 3D Land / World games are incredibly short and small, and easy. You can beat the whole game in an hour, okay maybe two. Nintendo doesn't care anymore, they're like anybody else, they are just waiting to release DLC that they should have included in the game. These games are okay, but in my opinion the Mario franchise has been wrecked and I'm thoroughly disappointed.

So short = bad? There's a whole lot of short games out there I adore.

Greatest game ever made is Super Metroid (that's science!), and it's around 2 hours long.

Warmsignal

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »

So short = bad? There's a whole lot of short games out there I adore.

Greatest game ever made is Super Metroid (that's science!), and it's around 2 hours long.

Sure, because it's over and I want to play more. They didn't put enough content in the game yet we paid $60 for it, there's no excuse for it nowadays other than a DLC scam. If that isn't enough to gripe about, it's basically the same thing as NSMBU from the year before, but with depth. The environments are small, unimpressive to look at, and lack the element of exploration. It's fairly obvious they were oriented towards family / casual multi-player and that's why so little went into them.

I wouldn't call them bad, but I could take or leave them, much like the NSMB franchise.