Author Topic: The Wii U is a failure?  (Read 17437 times)

bobster

Re: The Wii U is a failure?
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »
Karyann was the newest member of your group correct? You need to get her to the meeting too!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2014, 04:01:30 pm »
Im not kidding about having some sort of meeting though! We need to get this going. :D

I'm down - I'd love to get together & meet a bunch of people from here irl  ;D

(soera)...still open...open invitation is still open, bruuda  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2014, 04:03:56 pm »
Karyann was the newest member of your group correct? You need to get her to the meeting too!

You're All...

...Just about all of you here are welcome to participate in & join in any "club" functions/get-togethers!  8)

scott

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2014, 04:36:06 pm »
I was really hoping to make it to Darko's Super! Bitcon this year and meet up with a few of the OK folks. Maybe next year. :\
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

argyle

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2014, 06:12:04 pm »
Yeah Scott that sounded like a blast, but it was a bit far for me on such short notice (short notice being when I first heard about it, since I'm still new-ish ;) ). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »
If you haven't been impressed by a new game in the past 4 years, I'd say YOU were playing the wrong games.  :)  But I still think it's mostly a matter of not being able to truly appreciate what we have now if you didn't live through what it was like then.

I would agree with this. I've been impressed for different by a number of next-gen games. Resident Evil 5, Infamous 1 & 2, the PS3 Ratchet and Clank installments, Burnout Paradise, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Double Dragon Neon, and Scott Pilgrim vs the World. That's just off the top of my head.

My only frustration is the Ratchet and Clank games got old pretty quickly as each version was not much different than the previous. Just better graphics and sound. Vs. Something like Super Mario Bro's for NES where Nintendo literally rewrote the entire formula every single time. Risky as hell for sales but every one managed to be a winner. The current gen is all about repeat what just worked with higher-res textures and more video cutscenes.

As much as I enjoyed Ducktales Remastered for PS3 and Punch Out for the Wii. I blew through Punch out in 10 minutes (beat the whole game). Beat Ducktales Remastered on hard in 4 hours. They looked amazing and played great. but they were just visual upgrades so once I beat them I was done.

I enjoyed a lot more games like the Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube. Fantastic graphics and sound. Similar enough to the original that it felt familiar. All the same "holy sh!t" moments from the original were there. But the game itself was tweaked and expanded so much that I played the hell out of it for months and found all new "holy sh!t" moments that were never in the original.

I'm really about the gameplay experience and how much enjoyment there is to be had for the money.

I think I lean towards retro now because the hardware and software is so well known, cloned, emulated, and hackable at this point that the gameplay experience and enjoyment has expanded for the older games far more than the current and next-gen counterparts which are still locked down and held hostage.

There is no Super Mario Bros. ZIGPOK (game genie code) this generation. There is no Metriod Prime editor (yet) like there is for Super Metriod.

This is no fan translations for the latest J-RPGs. There is no playing Infamous on your PSP. Or Crysis on your GP32.

I'm sure those days are coming. I think once current-gen becomes open and retro I will enjoy and appreciate it a lot more.

Also, Dr. Jekyll is one of the most misunderstood and underated games ever released for the NES. I blame a hacked up and censored US release combined with 2 reviews released by the Angry Video Game Nerd. He's awesome and I love his reviews. But he is dead wrong about this game. I plan to release my own review soon where I explain what the game is really about and why I think it's actually pretty damn brilliant and provocative for it's time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:12:58 pm by dashv »

dreama1

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2014, 05:50:12 am »
If you haven't been impressed by a new game in the past 4 years, I'd say YOU were playing the wrong games.  :)  But I still think it's mostly a matter of not being able to truly appreciate what we have now if you didn't live through what it was like then.

I would agree with this. I've been impressed for different by a number of next-gen games. Resident Evil 5, Infamous 1 & 2, the PS3 Ratchet and Clank installments, Burnout Paradise, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Double Dragon Neon, and Scott Pilgrim vs the World. That's just off the top of my head.

My only frustration is the Ratchet and Clank games got old pretty quickly as each version was not much different than the previous. Just better graphics and sound. Vs. Something like Super Mario Bro's for NES where Nintendo literally rewrote the entire formula every single time. Risky as hell for sales but every one managed to be a winner. The current gen is all about repeat what just worked with higher-res textures and more video cutscenes.

As much as I enjoyed Ducktales Remastered for PS3 and Punch Out for the Wii. I blew through Punch out in 10 minutes (beat the whole game). Beat Ducktales Remastered on hard in 4 hours. They looked amazing and played great. but they were just visual upgrades so once I beat them I was done.

I enjoyed a lot more games like the Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube. Fantastic graphics and sound. Similar enough to the original that it felt familiar. All the same "holy sh!t" moments from the original were there. But the game itself was tweaked and expanded so much that I played the hell out of it for months and found all new "holy sh!t" moments that were never in the original.

I'm really about the gameplay experience and how much enjoyment there is to be had for the money.

I think I lean towards retro now because the hardware and software is so well known, cloned, emulated, and hackable at this point that the gameplay experience and enjoyment has expanded for the older games far more than the current and next-gen counterparts which are still locked down and held hostage.

There is no Super Mario Bros. ZIGPOK (game genie code) this generation. There is no Metriod Prime editor (yet) like there is for Super Metriod.

This is no fan translations for the latest J-RPGs. There is no playing Infamous on your PSP. Or Crysis on your GP32.

I'm sure those days are coming. I think once current-gen becomes open and retro I will enjoy and appreciate it a lot more.

Also, Dr. Jekyll is one of the most misunderstood and underated games ever released for the NES. I blame a hacked up and censored US release combined with 2 reviews released by the Angry Video Game Nerd. He's awesome and I love his reviews. But he is dead wrong about this game. I plan to release my own review soon where I explain what the game is really about and why I think it's actually pretty damn brilliant and provocative for it's time.
No offense dude but those games are getting  old  in age now. I think alot of people were disappointed with resident evil 5 also.

scott

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2014, 09:07:21 am »
I enjoyed RE5 it wasn't as good as RE4 and didn't feel as much like an RE game. But it was pretty good. Just because it strayed a bit further into 3PS territory doesn't make it absolute garbage.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2014, 09:59:14 am »
Contrarian!

TC is contrarian  :o

soera

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2014, 09:59:53 am »
Im not kidding about having some sort of meeting though! We need to get this going. :D

I'm down - I'd love to get together & meet a bunch of people from here irl  ;D

(soera)...still open...open invitation is still open, bruuda  ;)

I know ... still working on that. :)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2014, 11:16:52 am »
No offense dude but those games are getting  old  in age now. I think alot of people were disappointed with resident evil 5 also.

None taken.

I should clarify that I skipped RE5 when it first came out. I waited for the gold edition with PS move support. It's a much better version of the game and includes lots of bonus content that jack up the replay ability. I didn't bother with RE 6 because the developers in their infinite wisdom decided nobody wanted ps move controls. :-p.

Ever since RE4 for Wii I have only wanted Wii/PS move controls for RE.

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2014, 11:27:40 am »

None taken.

I should clarify that I skipped RE5 when it first came out. I waited for the gold edition with PS move support. It's a much better version of the game and includes lots of bonus content that jack up the replay ability. I didn't bother with RE 6 because the developers in their infinite wisdom decided nobody wanted ps move controls. :-p.

I was the opposite, I thought the Wii controls ruined an amazing game lol

dreama1

« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »

None taken.

I thought RE5 was quite good actually it was RE6 that was really bad. I heard with RE7 they want to take it back to it's roots.

dreama1

« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2014, 12:54:54 pm »

None taken.

I was the opposite, I thought the Wii controls ruined an amazing game lol
Come on kamikazekeeg get with the times lol.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2014, 01:09:53 pm »
I thought RE5 was quite good actually it was RE6 that was really bad. I heard with RE7 they want to take it back to it's roots.

I agree. I played the demo for RE6 and was turned off immediately. The underlit environments made it hard to see what he hell you were doing combined with doom-like run and gun using thumbsticks. As a long time PC gamer I just can't get into thumbstick driven shooters.

RE5 Gold was good because the main game was still very much traps and survival horror. The mercenaries mode satisfied my run n gun shoot some zombies itch. (For me) the PS move controls were quick, intuitive and precise. The split screen and online co-op was also immensely satisfying at times.

My biggest problem with RE 6 was it seemed like they made mercenaries mode (without PS move support) the main game. No thanks.