Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 228427 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2014, 04:01:48 pm »
I don't know how you guys keep up with all this stuff! This really seems like a really good time to be a JRPG gamer. Glad I haven't jumped in yet as I imagine I'd go broke very quickly lol.

Usually one of those "feast or famine" deals!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2014, 08:56:53 am »
This September alone is packed. I don't know how much my wallet can handle. :P November's starting to get more interesting too, plus there's all the Miku stuff for this fall that hasn't been given release dates yet. Persona 4 Dancing All Night, and Freedom wars also don't have solid release dates yet either. This has been the best year for Japanese stuff in a long time. ;D

Also, Tales of Hearts R just got a release date of November 11th (still can't find it up for preorder yet though), and the NA PSN-only version of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment was announced to be released on the 19th of August. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2014, 11:27:23 am »
Awesome, updated those as well.  :)

I'm afraid most of these will have to wait for price drops for me.  I've got Danganronpa locked in for day-1 (LE), and I'll probably get Xillia 2 day 1 (tho part of me wants to wait & see if that CE doesn't drop in price, since it seems to have been overproduced this time...).  I'll also probably get Tales of Heart R day 1. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
Holy amazing announcements Batman! All hail NIS America! Criminal Girls: Invite Only (Vita) has been announced to be released in NA & Europe of Spring 2015 (we've got quite a ways to go, but I really thought it would never reach our shores, since it's been out in Japan for a while now, among other reasons ::)). NISA also announced that the Guided Fate Cross Thesis Awakening is coming in Spring of 2015 (except it will be called Awakened Fate Ultimatum, for some strange reason ???). Last but not least, htol #NiQ: Firefly’s Diary has been given a release date (PSN only :'() of later this year.
I'm really shocked by the Criminal Girls announcement. I guess weird Japanese games thrive on the Vita. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PSN-only thing though.
Am I going overboard with constantly posting on this thread? :-\

argyle

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2014, 08:38:26 pm »
Holy amazing announcements Batman! All hail NIS America! Criminal Girls: Invite Only (Vita) has been announced to be released in NA & Europe of Spring 2015 (we've got quite a ways to go, but I really thought it would never reach our shores, since it's been out in Japan for a while now, among other reasons ::)). NISA also announced that the Guided Fate Cross Thesis Awakening is coming in Spring of 2015 (except it will be called Awakened Fate Ultimatum, for some strange reason ???). Last but not least, htol #NiQ: Firefly’s Diary has been given a release date (PSN only :'() of later this year.
I'm really shocked by the Criminal Girls announcement. I guess weird Japanese games thrive on the Vita. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PSN-only thing though.

Sequel to GFP?  Prepare for Disgaeniac freakout in 3...2...1... :P

Guess that means I should open my copy of the first one & play it, huh?  The other two look/sound cool as well.  I think htol will be added to the "weirdest game titles ever" list tho.  ;)

Am I going overboard with constantly posting on this thread? :-\

Absolutely not!! I'm always happy to hear about new game announcements/info on these kinds of titles, which is why I started the thread - and judging by the number of replies/views its had, there are others here who appreciate it as well.  And I really appreciate the help in getting new info so I can keep the main post up to date!  :D
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2014, 07:29:25 am »
PFfffffffft!

As if disgaeniac didn't hear about the successor to GFP *Months* ago  :P

And yeah - no such thing as too much enthusiasm here, Abe  ;)

Also, the Vita & its growing library makes me happy, too  ;D

abe

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2014, 09:04:58 am »
PFfffffffft!

Yaaay enthusiasm. ;D Thanks guys.
Is the Guided Fate Paradox really that good? There's a used copy at my local EB Games for $20 that I've been on the fence about buying. I might go buy it this morning before I start work if you think I'd probably like it as much as you do.

argyle

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2014, 09:39:33 am »
PFfffffffft!

Is the Guided Fate Paradox really that good? There's a used copy at my local EB Games for $20 that I've been on the fence about buying. I might go buy it this morning before I start work if you think I'd probably like it as much as you do.

I haven't played it yet (started it last night but didn't make it to any actual gameplay) but based on what I know about it + Disgaeniac's praise, I'd say it fully depends on your feelings towards Rogue-likes.  If you like the genre it seems like a very safe bet. 

EDIT:  Also a heads up guys.  Best Buy currently has the Premium Edition of Persona Q listed online for $50 (instead of the normal $80).  I'm told they honor these kinds of price mistakes as well, but regardless there's no harm in putting in a preorder & seeing what happens.  :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-nintendo-3ds/7377002.p?id=1219267476503&skuId=7377002&st=persona%20q&lp=1&cp=1
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:46:06 am by argyle »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
What Greg said.

Totally depends on how you feel about rogue-likes.

Not to be confused with the newer "genre" of rogue-Lites!

It's a straight-up, old school kind of rogue-like - meaning that it.

is.

hard.

You'll die (a lot) but it will never be an unfair or cheap death...you will always be able to see where you went wrong/what you could have done differently to do better next time :)

Really, though...it's kinda' hard to go wrong with it @$20 as you're (almost) guaranteed to be able to get back what you paid for it (if not more) should you dislike it  8)

soera

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »
PFfffffffft!

I haven't played it yet (started it last night but didn't make it to any actual gameplay) but based on what I know about it + Disgaeniac's praise, I'd say it fully depends on your feelings towards Rogue-likes.  If you like the genre it seems like a very safe bet. 

EDIT:  Also a heads up guys.  Best Buy currently has the Premium Edition of Persona Q listed online for $50 (instead of the normal $80).  I'm told they honor these kinds of price mistakes as well, but regardless there's no harm in putting in a preorder & seeing what happens.  :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-nintendo-3ds/7377002.p?id=1219267476503&skuId=7377002&st=persona%20q&lp=1&cp=1

Damn you!!!! I already have enough stuff on pre-order and was actually considering this game but now its ordered. :P

argyle

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »
PFfffffffft!

Damn you!!!! I already have enough stuff on pre-order and was actually considering this game but now its ordered. :P

You're not alone, I had already decided to wait on this game because the Premium Ed. was too rich for my blood so I figured I'd just wait on the standard to drop in price.  And now....not.  :P

abe

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2014, 03:20:06 pm »
Woo, more announcements incoming. :D These are from Aksys this time. (No word on digital or physical releases yet)
-Under Night In-Birth (PS3, TBA 2015)
This one's a fighting game (not surprising, coming from Aksys). The version we're getting is the improved version of the original (called Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late in Japan).
-Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (PS3 & Vita, TBA 2015)
It's a visual novel RPG thingie. I'm not sure how to properly describe it, but it sounds pretty interesting from what I've read.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2014, 03:34:09 pm »
Woo, more announcements incoming. :D These are from Aksys this time. (No word on digital or physical releases yet)
This one's a fighting game (not surprising, coming from Aksys). The version we're getting is the improved version of the original (called Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late in Japan).
It's a visual novel RPG thingie. I'm not sure how to properly describe it, but it sounds pretty interesting from what I've read.

Did the Beast throw them back?  :o

abe

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2014, 03:41:50 pm »

The Kraken doesn't have arms to throw them back with. ;)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:10 pm »

The Kraken doesn't have arms to throw them back with. ;)

Hahaha!

That doesn't sound very sporting of you!

:P