Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 505117 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #780 on: November 18, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
I played it at the time; as a PAL gamer this was our first real FF game (Mystic Quest, while enjoyable, doesn't count) and the UK's hype level was through the roof! I watched this UK trailer a million times before it released and I must admit it still gets me a bit tingly -

And, at the time, I did enjoy it very much. It was well presented and contained everything we wanted from our next-gen games (CGI, prerendered backgrounds, full 3D battles with sweeping camera movements, etc.). It was the right game at the right time, and I don't think that's a problem. I also don't think there should be any issue with a more experienced and older me (by 16 years!) thinking about it differently now.

Crisis Core mirrors my feelings for the original FF7 pretty well now I think about it - some great ideas that go nowhere, some brilliant scenes that still feel disjointed and don't connect very well to the actual game or each other, and a lot of plot points that have me thinking "THAT MAKES NO SENSE" :D

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #781 on: November 18, 2013, 12:44:05 am »
I've been playing a lot of this travesty lately (though playing it with a PlayStation mouse would make it considerably less travesty-y):

Also, echoing the FFVII sentiments. Never thought it was terrible, but the gameplay did not age well, and I never thought the story was quite strong enough to carry it. Characters were somewhat likeable, but not terribly memorable. Plot as a whole felt kind of disjointed. Thought the villain was pretty hard to take seriously. Pretty kickass soundtrack, though.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #782 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:52 am »
Final Fantasy VII (PS1).

I've been making fun of the fanboys who keep saying it's DA BEST AR PEE GEE EVAAAAAAAAAAAAH for years but I figured I'd better actually play and finish the game before the year ends.

So far? Damn this game is fucked up.

I actually haven't played VII either yet, but I remember thinking 'damn this game is fucked up' about one of the Dragon Quest games on the DS.

:-[

You kiss your mother with that mouth?  :o

1st time I've seen deso curse...and...she's started with an "F-Bomb" xD!

^_^
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #783 on: November 18, 2013, 11:35:23 am »

:-[

You kiss your mother with that mouth?  :o

1st time I've seen deso curse...and...she's started with an "F-Bomb" xD!

^_^

Haha, I'm sure Scott can attest to more swear words, but I do usually try to keep it classy  8)

I've been playing Hometown Story:

So far, it's ok.  Repetitive, but in a different way from Harvest Moon.  I'm wondering if it's basically trying to be what Recettear is (which I hear is a great game) but without the actual questing (read: the interesting part of the gameplay).

Natsume can be a bit "simple" (in all aspects of the word) and rides a bit much on stereotypes, so I was hoping this one would be a bit of a change-up since it wasn't actually set in the Harvest Moon world.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #784 on: November 18, 2013, 11:36:58 am »
Yup she swears like a sailor on Pathfinder night, haha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #785 on: November 18, 2013, 11:44:06 am »
I was thinking the same thing when I read that myself. heh. I guess thats how it is. May as well start at the top and work your way down. :P

Its funny this was mentioned btw. My wife hangs out with this girl from the church a lot. I cuss like mad all the time but I have to bite my tongue all the time when she is around. The other night she was here watching a movie with us when our stupid cat got on the couch and pissed on her. All the sudden she jumps up and says "That fucking cat pissed all over my damned leg." I couldnt help but laugh and feel a sigh of relief after that. Since then, Ive heard every single word under the sun out of her mouth too. :P

desocietas

« Reply #786 on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:16 pm »
Its funny this was mentioned btw. My wife hangs out with this girl from the church a lot. I cuss like mad all the time but I have to bite my tongue all the time when she is around. The other night she was here watching a movie with us when our stupid cat got on the couch and pissed on her. All the sudden she jumps up and says "That fucking cat pissed all over my damned leg." I couldnt help but laugh and feel a sigh of relief after that. Since then, Ive heard every single word under the sun out of her mouth too. :P

Haha, it's always a surprise in the beginning.  I think it's better that way... instead of starting off swearing and leaving a bad impression.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #787 on: November 18, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »
There's nothing wrong with cussing as long as it's fucking appropiate. ???

And I saw Cloud's flashback and Sephiroth's uh, research last night. I definitely was not expecting -that-.

Keep in mind that my knowledge of the game is: Sephiroth is the bad guy, there's this guy Vincent that's in a coffin (the only reason I know that is a friend asked me to kill a boss like ten years ago and I saw that afterward) and Aeris dies. That's it. So I'm basically going in blind. :P

desocietas

« Reply #788 on: November 18, 2013, 05:46:22 pm »
Keep in mind that my knowledge of the game is: Sephiroth is the bad guy, there's this guy Vincent that's in a coffin (the only reason I know that is a friend asked me to kill a boss like ten years ago and I saw that afterward) and Aeris dies. That's it. So I'm basically going in blind. :P

Spoiler alert! You knew more than me... I only knew about Aeris :P
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #789 on: November 18, 2013, 11:06:26 pm »
I got a Hearthstone beta key yesterday, so I've been playing that a lot :)

It's a good card game - not as complicated as Magic, but in the right way - I feel like I can just read the card description text and make an informed decision on what to do next. Makes it feel most like Cardfighter's Clash in that regard - you think it's simple but there's a lot of clever stuff you can do if you think about it.

scott

« Reply #790 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »
I've kinda silently banned Hearthstone for myself. I love the real WoW TCG and I feel like I could become addicted to it pretty easily.

Oh and on topic - Resogun on PS4, oh man it's scratching that shmup itch something fierce.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

brunauss

« Reply #791 on: November 21, 2013, 03:22:24 pm »
de Blob 2 on PS3. This thing is loaded and if your not careful, can be brutal. The automatic camera control could use a little work.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

tripredacus

« Reply #792 on: November 21, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »
Gave a real try at GTA V Online and it isn't all that fun.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #793 on: November 23, 2013, 01:38:21 am »
PC: Deus Ex
First played Deus Ex: Invisible War on Xbox.  Comparing between them, Deus Ex is MUCH better!

PS3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Trying to collect all the trophies so that I can get Platinum.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #794 on: November 23, 2013, 01:48:41 pm »

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 5 (PS2). Mindless hack-n-slash with some very minor RPG-elements added to this particular entry. Just got it in a trade (very scratched, I'm sorry to say, but amazingly I have not run into 1 hiccup yet).

Even though it's so basic, I'm enjoying it. That could be because the last few games I played through were a bit more in-depth and maybe my brain is enjoying the mindless break.

But then I got to a mission I played through like 10 times, and I couldn't beat. So I gave-up and popped in Dynasty Warriors 2 (PS2) from my collection instead, that I hadn't played for years; basically it was like playing for the first time again. A little less graphical wow, and a bit of "fog" in the distance, and the text-boxes and style were different. But other than that, it was basically the same game minus the very minor RPG-elements.

3 entries later, and very little has changed in the series. It's amazing the series has lasted so long with so little change.