Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 512991 times)

argyle

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #960 on: February 24, 2014, 04:50:00 pm »
Radiata Stories...that game is in my pile of shame.  One day...
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

pacpix

« Reply #961 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:23 pm »
Still playing Bravely Default. Im really enjoying this. Im about 40 hours in now and have access to a majority of the jobs.

So far, my line up is : Tiz - 10 knight with 9 freelancer back up, Ringabel - 10 ranger with 9 thief backup, Edea is 10 red mage with 9 spell fencer back up, and Agnes is 10 white mage with 8 performer back up. The jump from 8 to 9 in exp cost is unreal. Ive revived the wind, water, and fire crystal. Character levels are all at 41. Been working on rebuilding the town a lot too. Some neat stuff comes from there.

Game is awesome and definitely a high chance at one of the games of the year.
I have been enjoying this one as well, but I am not nearly as far as you are.  I was wiped out in the first round by the boss guarding the Wind crystal and have not felt like doing any level grinding yet.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #962 on: February 24, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »
This game does definitely require grinding time which Im cool with. And unlike a lot of previous rpgs Ive played, a lot of the boss fights really need some sort of strategy to beat them other than just hit + heal. I had a few fights that frustrated me for sure!

blipcs76

« Reply #963 on: February 25, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
Been playing Zombi U lately.  I really love this game.  The atmosphere is amazing; the city looks completely ravaged and desolate.  While it's not a technical marvel (character models definitely look last-gen), it does look pretty amazing, especially in really dark areas.  The sense of dread and tension is wonderful, as you never know if there's a zombie right around the corner or out of the cone of your flashlight, and zombies can one-shot kill you in this game if you're unprepared.  The sound is also great, with fantastic ambiance and effective use of music and sounds, like the far off zombie noises.

And it does the best job of utilizing the Wii U gamepad than anything else I've tried.  It's extremely immersive.  The gamepad functions as your map, inventory, scanner (physically hold up and move around the pad to scan your surroundings); it used for inputting numbers into keypads, lock picking and other tactile functions.  Your guide through the game speaks to you directly through the speakers on the gamepad, which makes it feel like an actual communications device.  When you're using your touchscreen, the game does not pause.  You better be sure you're in a safe place because you can't see when you're looking in your backpack, and a zombie can sneak right up on you.

Some reviewers have complained about the gameplay being a bit repetitive, but it doesn't bother me at all.  Others have said it's too slow.  That's what I enjoy about it.  You're not Rambo, you're everyday people put in this scenario and you're trying your best to stay alive.  Death has consequence, as you lose all of your accumulated gear and stat upgrades.  A great feature is when you die, your character comes back as a zombie.  You're 'reborn' as a new character that has to track down your previous zombified character and kill them to reclaim your stuff.  So cool!

Your main weapon through the game is a cricket bat that you whack zombies with and you later get additional guns, flares, etc.  There's often more than one way to approach a zombie or group of zombies.  My only complaint is that the world feels a bit small and forced.  I'd preferred to have a bit more freedom to roam and explore rather than the rigid path the game pushes you through, but that being said I would LOVE to see a sequel to this game.  It's fun, creative and genuinely scary without relying much on jump scares.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:22:41 am by blipcs76 »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #964 on: February 25, 2014, 10:56:23 am »
Enjoying A Game:)

Enjoying a game that was generally panned by critics/*cough*"Professional"*cough* Reviewers;D

Appreciating reviews for *Exactly* what they ALL are = One Person's Opinion =   8)

NEVER making a decision to buy/not buy a game based on one or many reviews (read: "Opinions", remember:);)

Buying & playing the games that *YOU* want to buy and play (after reading as many positive and/or negative reviews of it as you want + knowing/believing that the very best thing to do with places like "Metacritic" = is to ignore them/act like they don't exist =

Wanna' game together with me sometime?!  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

spac316

« Reply #965 on: February 25, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »
I've been playing GTA V. I'm almost finished with the story.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #966 on: February 26, 2014, 01:30:04 am »
Falling in love with Skies Of Arcadia on the Dreamcast.  As with all or most of my games...  Unless scripted, trying to finish the game without anyone ever fainting in battle.   ;D

Please check out the games I have for sale.

scott

« Reply #967 on: February 26, 2014, 07:42:05 am »
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. Wtf is up with these stealth missions?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #968 on: February 26, 2014, 08:06:40 am »

Maybe your LoS2 disc was mixed-up/replaced with a Thief disc OR it's just a Thief disc stamped & labeled as a Castlevania one   :o

« Reply #969 on: March 02, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »
I bought Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on the Wii U and been taking my time with that.  It's some fun stuff. I need to go back and finish Ducktales Remastered on the Wii U and unlock the 2 other worlds I need to get in Super Mario 3D World.

foxhack

« Reply #970 on: March 02, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »

Heh.

Apparently the game had a rather... tumultuous development, to say the least. :(

soera

« Reply #971 on: March 03, 2014, 02:32:38 pm »
Just hit 80 hours on Bravely Default and on chapter 6. Weird things going on later in the game. Still awesome though!

argyle

« Reply #972 on: March 03, 2014, 02:35:31 pm »

Heh.

Apparently the game had a rather... tumultuous development, to say the least. :(

It shows.  :(  Easily my biggest disappointment so far this year, and I'll be shocked if anything tops it. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #973 on: March 03, 2014, 02:38:54 pm »
Just hit 80 hours on Bravely Default and on chapter 6. Weird things going on later in the game. Still awesome though!

I've heard that there's A LOT of repetition later in the game - is that what you're talking about?

soera

« Reply #974 on: March 03, 2014, 02:53:12 pm »
Yeah it is.