Author Topic: Style Guide Update Poll Idea Submissions  (Read 79858 times)

dhaabi

Re: Style Guide Update Poll Idea Submissions
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2022, 12:39:29 pm »
- When I was working on the MD Japan categories and worked on the Sangokushi entries (and did all the alt-names for the other entries for this game) GameFAQs might have been at a 3/5 San Goku Shi to Sangokushi ratio. Looking at it today, it seems to be 95% San Goku Shi with the exception of extremely new or old entries. This means that it is not as contentious as it once was and leaves open an option for people to choose to not create a common name exception for it.

- 三国志 is Chinese for "Three Kingdoms" and it a more common term than the game series that spawned this issue originally. That being Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series and in actuality there are more games not from this series that use 三国志. So this poll would not be about how to name a game series, but rather whether we are going to be using spaces inbetween the transliteration of the Chinese characters. And if this is the case, then it may end up being that we have to be careful as to whether this would apply to all Chinese words or just 三国志.

I've noticed the ratio of Sangokushi to San Goku Shi on GameFAQs too. However, I would just like to note that you and I both know that GameFAQs is not reliable in publishing accurate information, be it entry names, publisher and developer information, or images. It would not be surprising to find out that someone updated many of the entries en masse from one format to another, with the edits being approved without much thought.

With that said, if a VGC poll regarding Sangokushi was created, what options would there be?
1 Sangokushi
2. San Goku Shi

and maybe even
3. Formatting depends entirely on GameFAQs entry page

Until other problematic examples become present, it may be best to limit the poll to the word Sangokushi specifically.

tripredacus

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2022, 09:33:12 am »
Yes I think the option to keep things as they are should be present.

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2023, 11:44:27 am »
I'd like to have a Common Name Exception for various James Bond games. Frequently Gamefaqs has changed the names of James Bond Ps2 games as it's not immediately clear if "007", "James Bond" or a combination of both or none should be used in a games title. This leaves games changing names frequently on the site and variants being left between the two names. 

Titles used by Gamefaqs for Ps2
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
007: Quantum of Solace
From Russia With Love
007: NightFire
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing

There are 4 ways I think would be most suitable to resolve this issue.

1) Use "007" in game titles and "James Bond" as an alt names.
2) Use "James Bond" in game titles and "007" as an alt names.
3) Use both "James Bond" and "007" in a games title.
4) Use neither "007" or "James Bond" as titles and instead include them as alt names.

Ex 1) Alt text "James Bond"
007: Agent Under Fire
007: Quantum of Solace
007: From Russia With Love
007: NightFire
007: Everything or Nothing

Ex 2) Alt text "007"
James Bond: Agent Under Fire
James Bond: Quantum of Solace
James Bond: From Russia With Love
James Bond: NightFire
James Bond: Everything or Nothing

Ex 3)
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
James Bond 007: Quantum of Solace
James Bond 007: From Russia With Love
James Bond 007: NightFire
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing

Ex 4) Alt text "James Bond 007"
Agent Under Fire
Quantum of Solace
From Russia With Love
NightFire
Everything or Nothing

tripredacus

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2023, 12:04:17 pm »
What you are asking for is to have commonality across all titles and not bringing up a situation where a game has two different names on the reference site.

However, all of your examples are using the 007 logo with the gun. We can make an a poll that is similar to the Formula 1 poll previous, where we will have the poll options to reflect what we should type when this logo is used in-place of text in the title. This would not have any effect on any James Bond games that do not have this logo.

Please provide item entry examples that use this logo where using any of the proposed "methods" would cause a naming issue, if any. If none then a poll can proceed if you agree.

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2023, 12:38:22 pm »
I believe my only concern is where older games are involved with such a symbol and if such a change would cause them to change name. For example https://vgcollect.com/item/111098 uses a 007 Gun logo. Other than that I do not see any issues personally.